Replacement Brakeaway Line?

AFMagnum

We've been at an RV park for awhile now and today I noticed my emergency brakeaway line was missing. Nothing on the ground, nothing plugged into the connection box, nothing. I don't know if someone took it, or if it fell off and was picked up by the folks who do the lawn or what. But regardless, how do I go about getting another one?

danemayer

You can probably get one from an RV dealership parts dep't. More important, when the cable is pulled, the brakes activate and stay activated. You may have damage to the brake assembies.

AFMagnum

Is that all it is? A piece of plastic that separates the two metal pieces inside the box? Can I just shove a piece of plastic in there for the time being?

How can I check to see if the brake assemblies are damaged?

danemayer

Is that all it is? A piece of plastic that separates the two metal pieces inside the box? Can I just shove a piece of plastic in there for the time being?

How can I check to see if the brake assemblies are damaged?

A pull test would give you some idea of whether the brakes are still functioning normally. Hitch up, hold the brake controller on full, or just pull with the breakaway active, and see if the brakes hold the trailer in place.

But if the magnets have been activated for an extended period, you probably have to pull one or more wheels and hubs to inspect. If you haven't done that before, you might check whether there's someone else at the campground who can help, or perhaps get a mobile servicer out.

Also, the breakaway switch may be damaged; it's not designed to carry current for an extended period.

AFMagnum

A pull test would give you some idea of whether the brakes are still functioning normally. Hitch up, hold the brake controller on full, or just pull with the breakaway active, and see if the brakes hold the trailer in place.

But if the magnets have been activated for an extended period, you probably have to pull one or more wheels and hubs to inspect. If you haven't done that before, you might check whether there's someone else at the campground who can help, or perhaps get a mobile servicer out.

Also, the breakaway switch may be damaged; it's not designed to carry current for an extended period.

Thanks. Sounds like it's best to replace the whole switch at this point since I don't know how long it's been missing. We don't have to move for awhile so a mobile service tech might be in my future just to be safe.

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
This breakaway cable it great, as instead of hanging loose to possibly get snagged on something the coils keep it up and away from anything it could get caught on.

That's what I've replaced mine with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

This breakaway cable it great, as instead of hanging loose to possibly get snagged on something the coils keep it up and away from anything it could get caught on.
Ditto on cutting the factory cable off and using one of these coiled types instead. I had a mishap that involved a 90° intersection corner, then 6 locked up brakes with my original cable in beautiful, downtown Willits, Ca.

rhodies1

If you are replacing your original cable with the coiled version,if your unit is a 5th wheel,you should replace with the 6 ft version.This is the one recommended by the manufacturer.They make both versions,4 ft for tag alongs and 6 ft for 5 th wheels.

AFMagnum

If you are replacing your original cable with the coiled version,if your unit is a 5th wheel,you should replace with the 6 ft version.This is the one recommended by the manufacturer.They make both versions,4 ft for tag alongs and 6 ft for 5 th wheels.

Thanks. I was wondering about that.

ksucats

Just out of curiosity, and not to hijack the thread but what do most people hook their 'breakaway' cable to when hooked up? I was taught to just put it around the handle on the hitch saddle but I've wondered about that for some time.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've read that the breakaway cable should be secured to a stationary part of the truck.
Theory is that if your hitch comes out what would pull the breakaway cable out if the hitch is still connected to the trailer.
Makes sense to me.

Peace
Dave

LBR

Our 'ole wreck of TV still has the archaic rails bolted to the bed for hitch to mount in...I hook it to that. Our new TV on order will have the puck system and I'll have to hook to a top bed tie down, I guess.