replacement mattress time

Bobby A

Well, we are in the process of shopping for a new mattress for the horn. I hate sifting through all the stores and adds, not to mention the fast talking salesman. I know this is a personal preference thing and one mattress might be perfect for some but terrable for others. Does anyone have a method of narrowing it down for a good educated decison ?? I got the consumer report article a few months back on mattresses, but some of the reviews on there top choices were not very favorable. I can tell you the wife and I are both side sleepers and I seems to like a more firmer than soft. I've been to Costco's and Sams club and I'm kinda leaning towards buying from one of them. There might not be the knowledgable salesman but you can't beat the warranty from both the clubs, seems to be plain and simple, if you don't like it bring it back for a full refund, PERIOD !! Any advice in helping us sift through all the mess so we can get a decent mattress.

Thanks,
Bobby A

VKTalley

Hi Bobby,

Malcolm and I replaced our mattress with a memory foam topped one from Costco. We are loving it! It is the one that comes rolled up in a box.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
There is a number of threads about mattresses. We also changed out our mattress. Our chiropractor gave us some good information. Don't get a mattress with springs. Get a mattress that is made of natural latex foam, not other foam mattresses that have a lot of chemicals in them such as formaldehyde. Here is a website about the chemicals in mattresses. Do a Google "formaldehyde in mattresses" to get an idea of what I am talking about.

We went to a custom mattress company and had one made for us. Our original mattress was 72" x 80" and it was hard to pull out to make the mattress. So we had one made 71" x 80" and it works great.

This is what we did.. Here is the company we used. They will ship or you can find one similar in the neighborhood.. Sleep Craft Mattress.

BC

ICamel

Bobby:
Do a Google search for "Lasting Impressions" memory foam. They make mattresses specifically for RV's. Could not be happier with the mattress we bought from them to replace the factory original. We have memory foam mattresses at home, and it is just like home in the 5th wheel now. Lower cost than Costco, fast service/shipping, nice folks to deal with. We highly recommend them.

danemayer

We also have a Lasting Impressions 12" memory foam mattress in the RV and love it. So much that we bought a std King for home recently. The new one is a bit firmer, but both are great.

Bobby A

Well, I had not considered memory foam mattress however we did buy a memory foam topper a couple years back to get us through for a bit. Sounds like you guys highly reccomend this Lasting Impressions company. I will check out there web site. Do they charge for shipping ?? or is that included in the price of the mattress ?? I have a chryopractor appointment tomorrow anyway and I will see what he says. Its hard for me to over look Sams or Costco for the simple fact of hastle free and pretty much unlimited return policy, but I'm open for suggestion. I welcome more feedback.

Looking at the Lasting Impressions web site it says of a RV mattress queen size which is 60X75 our original mattress in the horn is a standard queen of 60X80.

Thank you all,
Bobby A

Last edited:

danemayer

Lasting Imperssion's price included shipping both times we bought.

For home, we tried a Costco memory foam mattress but took it back after one night. It was so hard it was awful. No problem taking it back, except that the unpacked mattress is hard to transport.

The potential downside of buying from Lasting Impressions or other internet providers is that while they have a refund/return policy, return shipping is something to think about. Once you unpack the mattress, it expands to several times the original shipping size. You have no way to repack it in that same size of container, so return might be impractical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TXBobcat

Fulltime
As I said above, go to a place that will make you a mattress. We drove to the Store, tried out a number of mattresses and gave the guy which one we liked, Firmness and such. Told him what size we wanted and that it was to be Natural Latex and we have had no problems and sleep well. If it isn't right take it back and have them make a change to fit your needs.

The one they built for us, they had made the sides harder than the overall mattress. Had to do with being in an RV. Said to set on it the edges needed to be firmer. Told him we did not plan on sitting on it just sleeping and wanted the edges the same as the overall mattress.

Yes it cost us more than $500. If you bought a sleep comfort it would be about the same expense, but this was made for us specifically. It is not just a block of latex foam rubber. It is a mattress, looks like a mattress and sleeps like a mattress. Yes it was $1600 but we have a mattress that fits us and we won't need another. If anything happens to this one we can take it back to the store and have it fixed & yes it will probably cost us. But we don't expect any problems.

BC

TexAndLinda

My wife and I bought one of the display units from Dillards. One side is firm the other soft. $1200 mattress for $300. We got with four different Dillards on when they were replacing a specific mattress and waited. Most are replaced with in a year. I being a former sales man there know that it is sent to the factory for cleaning then sent back. Usually what is being charged is to cover the cleaning. Plus Dillards does not care any mattress in stock, they are ordered from factory, which means they are made on order.

ParkIt

My wife and I bought one of the display units from Dillards. One side is firm the other soft. $1200 mattress for $300. We got with four different Dillards on when they were replacing a specific mattress and waited. Most are replaced with in a year. I being a former sales man there know that it is sent to the factory for cleaning then sent back. Usually what is being charged is to cover the cleaning. Plus Dillards does not care any mattress in stock, they are ordered from factory, which means they are made on order.
We don't have Dillard's up here, Macy's is on par I think though we did get a Select Comfort for our BC, we sold the mattress it came with still factory wrapped for $450 so it was $50 more for the SC which included shipping. It has stiffer sidewalls and corners without the lump in the middle of foam, we've owned both and prefer the SC over any other mattress out there with a breathable foam topper.
You got a deal from Dillards, everything you are going to put in your future unit is going to be less expensive than up here!