Replacement slide seals

sunriverman

Looking for recommendation on Suppliers for "D" type slide seals. Mount on top of slides wipes. 1" x. 15 /16". Appreciate your input. .

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Looking for recommendation on Suppliers for "D" type slide seals. Mount on top of slides wipes. 1" x. 15 /16". Appreciate your input. .

Have you tried calling Heartland customer service? If you do call make sure to have your Vin# ready.

mlpeloquin

Thanks for the leg work. I booked marked it for future reference. Now they may not have it in the future, but the book mark has the description and part number.

Thanks for the info because I just came down off of my roof and found that all of my seals need replacing. One question. Did you slide the D channel on or snap on the bottom then the top? Thanks bdb2047 for the web site. How long did it take to be shipped?

jnbhobe

You have to pull the screws out of the ends and slide the seal down the channel a little WD40 helps

bdb2047

Thanks for the info because I just came down off of my roof and found that all of my seals need replacing. One question. Did you slide the D channel on or snap on the bottom then the top? Thanks bdb2047 for the web site. How long did it take to be shipped?
Ordered Monday afternoon had it late Thur.

loganhughes

Oops. ..I didn't mean to post above! I'm getting up to speed with Tapatalk and was trying to do a search! The app is so different in functionality from the web!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Carleen

Okay- I just did a thorough walk around on my roof checking all the slide seals and details of each. The result- we need all new seals. They are gummy, worn, the D is cracked through on a couple, the caulking isn't sticking to them, and I had a leak (Not thrilled at this moment with the whole ordeal). On a scale of 1-10, how much went into replacing the seals? In theory, it seems like it wouldn't be too hard. But, I know that tends to change as the job goes on. I have a warranty, but am not sure they would warranty the seals. I just want to know what I am getting into before ripping it all apart.

Thanks for any advice!!

mlpeloquin

The seals slide on. Remove the screws on the end and pull them out. Clean the surface area down the channel. Slide the new one on, but don't use anything to lubricate it for sliding on. You need to put a sealant on the top and bottom edges that help hold it in place. If you use WD40 or anything else, the sealant will not adhere. Put the screws back onto the ends of the D-seal. It doesn't take long to do. I need to replace several of mine now as well.

Carleen

The seals slide on. Remove the screws on the end and pull them out. Clean the surface area down the channel. Slide the new one on, but don't use anything to lubricate it for sliding on. You need to put a sealant on the top and bottom edges that help hold it in place. If you use WD40 or anything else, the sealant will not adhere. Put the screws back onto the ends of the D-seal. It doesn't take long to do. I need to replace several of mine now as well.

Thanks for the info! I hate digging into projects just to find I am over my head. I love this forum!!

mlpeloquin

Thanks for the info! I hate digging into projects just to find I am over my head. I love this forum!!

Forgot to add that I had two replaced at the national rally in Goshen last year. This is how the Heartland techs told me how they should have been put on. Mine were missing the sealant and screws.

StrongJava

Me too! Me too!

Ok, we got water in the slide where our couch sits during the heavy rains here in San Antonio last night. Upon investigation, several D seals need to be replaced. Current Amazon price about $2.60/sq ft :-(

I noticed on some of my seals that the screw had been put in through the outside of the seal, and on others the installer had made a small slit in the outside edge, and then put the screw only through the inside edge. Most of the seals where the screw was put through the whole thing, the outside edge of the seal has torn away.

What is the correct method? Or, does it really matter?

Tim

mlpeloquin

Me too! Me too!

Ok, we got water in the slide where our couch sits during the heavy rains here in San Antonio last night. Upon investigation, several D seals need to be replaced. Current Amazon price about $2.60/sq ft :-(

I noticed on some of my seals that the screw had been put in through the outside of the seal, and on others the installer had made a small slit in the outside edge, and then put the screw only through the inside edge. Most of the seals where the screw was put through the whole thing, the outside edge of the seal has torn away.

What is the correct method? Or, does it really matter?

Tim

The Heartland Techs put the screws about an inch inside the D seal on each end. They added some silicone sealant prior to finishing screwing the fastener down. The screws are round head self drilling/tapping screws.

wdk450

I came up with a better way to secure down the ends of the D seals. Instead of just a screw and a washer which tends to pull through the rubber seals, I put a drawer mending plate in place with 2 screws. The screws will not pull throuugh the seal rubber with the mending plate acting as the washer. See the following pic of a mending plate:

mending plate.jpg

Carleen

When we had water coming in the slide, I checked the slide seals and the seal on top of the slide wasn't flipped out. Could that be the problem?

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

StrongJava

Clever idea!
I came up with a better way to secure down the ends of the D seals. Instead of just a screw and a washer which tends to pull through the rubber seals, I put a drawer mending plate in place with 2 screws. The screws will not pull throuugh the seal rubber with the mending plate acting as the washer. See the following pic of a mending plate:

View attachment 47889

- - - Updated - - -

I think it could be a problem, yes. Another friend of mine indicated he has problems with one of the slide out seals such that when he parks and opens his slides, he has to manually place the seal in the correct place to ensure water stays out.
When we had water coming in the slide, I checked the slide seals and the seal on top of the slide wasn't flipped out. Could that be the problem?

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL