Replacement tires for my 2010 BIGHORN 3410 RV

Jbaldwin

Over the last 2 years, we have experienced 2 flats and 2 blowouts, Towmax tires. This last blowout was bad. My thoughts were to replace these tires with the best possible. Research indicates to go to a higher capacity tire, but this presents two questions. One, can I go to the LT 234/85R/16 G rated tires, presently have 234/80R/16 E rated tire; will the 85R tires fit, they are 5 percent larger, the space between the tires will be close? Second, will these G rated tires work OK with my BIGHORN aluminum rims. If this is not workable, what E rated tire might you recommend? Thanks, Melody & Jim

Gaffer

Our 2010 3055 had rims rated for 110 psi. Yours should too. Crawl under and check the castings. They should be marked 110 psi. If so you are good to go. Just get the heavy duty valve stems to go along with them. What is the weight on your rear axels? If it is about 10k you will be safe with the Maxxis ties from Discount Tire.

Jim.Allison

Me too ditto, one towmax blowout at 1800 miles. In addition to the 110 psi mentioned earlier you might see 3750 load rating. You will definitely see the PSI, that is absolutely critical that the rims be rated for 110 psi. Go with G614s, you won't be sorry and they fit.

If you look at the tires on the market, your biggest problem finding tires that carry the load is because of the 16 inch rims. For a 16 inch there is just such a limited selection. The G614 is not alone in the field of players but they are among a limited group that you would consider for your rig. You can go to a larger rim and still keep the same diameter tire as the 16 you have now, and the field gets bigger as far as offerings are concerned.

You did not say how big your rig is, but for my BC3650RL the G614 had a high enough rating. I felt it was a toss up for me to install them or increase the rim size and go with a 17.5 inch G114. The 614's were adequate and the 114's were over kill. I overkilled it but glad i did. 3750 X 4 15000 lbs. So on my rig 15,500 lbs less 2500 pinweight, the tires would have served 13,000 lbs at max GVW, with 2000 lbs to spare. If your rig gvwr is less than mine you're in better shape, if your gvwr is more, then you are going to be marginal, and may have to move to the 114 or similar quality tire in a 17.5 inch, dig deep into your DW purse for those, lol. Both the 614 and the 114 are rated at 75 mph. not suggesting you tow at 75 but you won't be maxing out the tires at 65. There are some other tires out there also. I'm sure you will be reading about them soon on this thread.......lol but the important thing i think you will find out is that cheap, chinese made ST tires are out the window, so to speak, and you will have to pay for peace of mind. I spent it and glad i did. Good tires = no worries. as long as you have your checkbook open get a tire monitoring device too. good luck.