ST vs LT RV Tires

DickO

First off I have read almost all the tire posts. I have run nothing but LT tires because of all the negative things with ST i.e. susceptible to heat , no built in extra carrying capacity as in LT tires, lose of carrying capacity over a short time etc.

I am looking at a 2015 Bighorn with G rated ST tires using 110 lb pressure. PLEASE NO OPINIONS just the facts. Does anyone know if these tires are built any different?

avvidclif

Re: St vs lt

If they are the Sailuns (which is what I understand they are using) they are an LT rebadged as an ST. Mine weigh 63 lbs each vs 38 for the Blowmax. Look up Sailun and see if you can find someone that has had a problem with them, I haven't had a problem nor found anyone else either.

danemayer

The Bighorns have been shipping with G rated Sailun tires. Independent of the labeling, these tires are designed for commercial, regional (rather than local) trailer applications, just like the Goodyear G614 tires.

The LT designation doesn't necessarily make the tire better. When a tire is labeled as LT, the load capacity has to have a reserve capability that is not required of ST tires. If two versions of the same tire are labeled as LT and ST, even though it's the same tire, the load capacity label will be higher on the ST. But the LT version has the same capacity if you add in the safety margin.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

If they say 'Towmax' on them . . . get rid of them, including the spare!

Dan50

Even if it says ST on the Sailun tires they are still LT tires. Sailun changed the designation to get a tax break by not designating them as LT.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Even if it says ST on the Sailun tires they are still LT tires. Sailun changed the designation to get a tax break by not designating them as LT.

I wish they'd make them in 15-inch sizes . . .

jnbhobe

I just had to locate a Maxxis 8008 for a guy at the Virginia rally because he had a big bubble in the side of a new tire.

Jim.Allison

You know the difference between a pair of pink slippers with bunny ears, and a pair of work boots?

That is the difference between the common "ST" (such as the Towmax) and the much better G, LT and some selected STs such as the Sailuns.