Replacing Blowmax with Sailun S 637

bigdob24

I have about 10K miles on the Towmax tires that came on my BC.
Tired of worrying about tire trouble.
Never had any trouble with the Towmax but feel it's only a matter of time.
Im looking at Sailun S 637 ST 235/85 R16/ G and my rims are rated for 110psi . I will have to get new steel valve stems.
As the tires I'm replacing are ST 235/80 R16/ E there is a little difference in actual size.
My understanding is the Sailuns are about 1.5" taller.
I only have 4.25" in between the inside of the tires now .
Will there be any problems using my X Chocks with the Sailun tires?
Anything else I'm missing?
Thanks for the advise.

lynndiwagoner

I don't know about the chocks, I have the 6 point leveling system and don't use any kind of chocks. I can say that you are making a wise move. I did the same as you, worried after reading all of the horror stories. When I went to change the tires they found the belts broken on one of my old blow max tires. I was very lucky. When you're at the tire store, pickup up one of the tow max tires and see how light they are compared to the Sailuns. You will be shocked at the difference.

dewwood

The Sailuns are about an inch and a half to two inches taller and on my Bighorn I can not use the X chocks there is not quite enough room. The tire shop should replace the valve stems when they mount the tires, Trailer Tires & Wheels did when they mounted mine. I am very happy with the 637's but don't have many miles on them yet.

bigdob24

Looks like the X Chocks will fold down to about 2" maybe a bit wider so I still hope they will work.
Dewwood do you recall how wide the gap was between your Towmax Tires?

oscar

Sailuns are about an inch more OD than the Blow Maxes. Not an issue on the two axles, but a no go on my Cyclone. Not enough room as it is. Metal valve stems are available at NAPA for $3 or $4.

avvidclif

The Towmax are 30.8" in diameter. The Sailun 16" is 31.7". That is .9" difference. That will move the 2 tires .9" closer together.

bigdob24

Everything will still work if it's only .9"
Thats Great
Looked at the price from Simple Tire and will see if a local shop can get the tires and price them here.

jnbhobe

The Sailun's are for sale at Goshen for about $185 ea. mounted,balanced and installed out the door with stems

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
When measuring a tires height....remember only 1/2 of that is how much closer they will be to each other...1 1/2 " relates to 3/4 of an inch....not 1 1/2 ".

oscar

When measuring a tires height....remember only 1/2 of that is how much closer they will be to each other...1 1/2 " relates to 3/4 of an inch....not 1 1/2 ".

Half of that, but on EACH ONE, right? So you're back to 1-1/2..... unless you're only upsizing one.