Replacing Person Door

JeffG1947

Our trailer was broken into and I need to replace the door. It seems like it would be easy (three hinges and I believe three bolts per hinge).

I'll want a new lock too, since although it still works it was damaged.

I will call Heartland tomorrow to order the door. Potential issues - do the decals come already installed or do I need to put them on the door (is this a problem area?) and if the door comes predrilled with hinges and lock installed (or at least lock opening pre-drilled), and finally I expect I'll need to adjust the lock plate on the door jam.

Let me know any advice you have on this process.

Thanks.

Jeff

(P.S. - they couldn't get the door open even though they tried prying it, so broke the door window and climbed in. Then they couldn't figure out how to unlock the door from the inside and ended up dropping the only thing of "value" they could find - a $50 BluRay player. And they didn't open the slide-outs. No other damage or anything missing (we're lucky). I have now installed a small chain and lock on the steps - without a step ladder it's now harder to gain access to the trailer. They have much better potential success with the travel trailers in the yard since they're closer to the ground. Three trailers vandalized and two commercial trucks. I did notice a Jayco White Hawk travel trailer where the bricks thrown at a couple of the windows just scratched the glass and bounced off. Jayco must use stronger glass :rolleyes: )

GWRam

When you call Heartland have your Vin # that will help them determine your graphic. Doors and hatches that I have ordered do not have graphics on them. Each unit graphics are done by hand. no two the same. You may want to also send a photo to verify they are sending the correct graphics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear about this break-in. When you order the new door, you should ask Heartland about the decals. I'd guess the door doesn't have them since the same door is probably used on many trailers. If the existing lock has been damaged, you'll want to also ask about whether the new door includes the lock assembly.

I expect someone who's replaced their door will chime in with additional thoughts.

GOTTOYS

My door was replaced due to a defect. They replace the entire assembly with the frame and screen door. I was told that this is the way they it. They didn't finish it in time for a trip South for the Winter after having it for over a month. I left with it and Heartland sent me the decals/stripes. I installed the stripes. I imagine they must be done in this way so you can line them up properly. it wasn't that difficult. The door came with a new lock already in place. Maybe you can install just the door using the original frame, I don't know. There might be slight variations in the way it mounts into the frame that would prevent this. I agree with your idea of the chain to lock the steps so they can't be used. I drilled a couple holes in the framework for my steps and use a large padlock to do the same thing. Good luck...Don

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
While your changing out you lock consider upgrading it to a wireless RV Lock from rvlock.com. They are amazing and have provided HOC members pretty good deals. If you go this route call them to place the order and let them know you are with the HOC and inquire if the special pricing is still available for HOC members