Ride-rite air bags

lwmcguir

It is interesting that so many 2011 F350's need extra springs/bags. Our pin weight varies but is over 3000 pounds and hitched the truck sits about 1/2 inch high. I was very happy it did as I had already ordered the air bag kit with compressor. (just didnt have time to install it befor our first trip last year) Haven't installed it yet as the ride is good as well as the TV being level. The only difference I know about from the post is we did order the 20" wheels and the GVW pkg which I am sure some of you did as well. Still very much a fan of the air bags and will eventually install them.

jnbhobe

I always swore I would never put air bags on, I have a friend in the spring bussiness. But I tried them on my last TV and now on my present 2011 F-350. They make it so easy to make adjustments to the level of the rig and when pulling different trailers. Glad I talked myself into trying them!!

mmomega

AnyTimer
With the newer 2011 Ford trucks, they increased the length of the leaf springs( mounting points are further apart) to increase the ride quality when the vehicle is unloaded. Only problem is a longer piece of metal will bend easier than a shorter piece of metal.
The truck will still haul the rated loads but it will just set lower with the really heavy loads.
It did make a difference, you jump in my 2007 F350 and go for a ride then get in my 2011 and you'll notice how big of a change the longer springs make.

Also SRW F350's come with 4" blocks on the rear, they just naturally set higher so when loaded they are more level. DRW F350's only have a 2" block so that alone may make the difference but I'd still rather have air bags so I can adjust how I want and it also adds more stability to the truck empty and loaded.

lwmcguir

With the newer 2011 Ford trucks, they increased the length of the leaf springs( mounting points are further apart) to increase the ride quality when the vehicle is unloaded. Only problem is a longer piece of metal will bend easier than a shorter piece of metal.
The truck will still haul the rated loads but it will just set lower with the really heavy loads.
It did make a difference, you jump in my 2007 F350 and go for a ride then get in my 2011 and you'll notice how big of a change the longer springs make.

Also SRW F350's come with 4" blocks on the rear, they just naturally set higher so when loaded they are more level. DRW F350's only have a 2" block so that alone may make the difference but I'd still rather have air bags so I can adjust how I want and it also adds more stability to the truck empty and loaded.

The single rear wheel F350 does sit really high in the rear unloaded. Glad I got the step feature as it is a bit of a climb. Bet you are right on regarding the difference in the way it levels out loaded. Like you I am going to install the bags later this winter but will only need them when loaded very heavy.

funntheson

I do not have air bags. I did not raise or lower the hitch. And, I do not have shudder, nor do I have leveling problems towing my 3585.

mmomega

AnyTimer
No, but I didn't notice where the OP said they had 4 x 4.
Steady...He didn't mention raising or lowering the hitch or driveline shudder either so it was just a general question. When one is troubleshooting a problem it's good to narrow down a common denominator.
Which would just mean that you're truck has no factory lift in the rear, which has the driveline angle completely different than a 4WD which could make the difference with any type of shudder or axle wrap upon take-off.

but I did notice him mentioning it in another post about his bighorn saying he has a new F-350 SRW 4x4 Super cab.

funntheson

I was merely stating a fact, not being defensive. Sorry if you were offended. The point I was kind of trying to make, is that unless someone has a truck that is similar to the person asking the question, all the different information is basically useless, so I guess more information should have been requested before we all started giving our opinions (myself included).

mmomega

AnyTimer
I was merely stating a fact, not being defensive. Sorry if you were offended. The point I was kind of trying to make, is that unless someone has a truck that is similar to the person asking the question, all the different information is basically useless, so I guess more information should have been requested before we all started giving our opinions (myself included).

lol no not offended(and no offense to you) just after being on many other diesel forums with plenty of hotheads you just have to be ready.
In all actuality Ford makes 6 different F250's and 10 F350's so the more info the better and really there's no way to know if your particular truck with a particular trailer will need the bags until everything is hooked up and said and done.:)