Riding UTV on Texas Roads

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't know if it's legal or not. If it has the correct lighting and a horn, I don't see why it wouldn't be much different than a dune buggy. I would think it needs to be registered (title & plates) though.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't know if it's legal or not. If it has the correct lighting and a horn, I don't see why it wouldn't be much different than a dune buggy. I would think it needs to be registered (title & plates) though.

A motor vehicle in Texas must have the proper State Inspection and License Plates in order to be driven on the 'Roadway'. Failure to do so could result in a citation (traffic ticket) and towing of the vehicle to an impound. Bottom line is if it has a motor (there are a few exceptions) it must be licensed and inspected.

bd2dabone

Are you on the rzr.net forum...we have a very good thread going on riding rzr's (ohv or utv whatever is the proper term) riding on roads in Texas. We have on occasion ridden them on the beach at High Island. Until last June they were considered okay to ride there. Texas beaches are considered public roadways in Texas. Anyway we were told that you cant ride them anymore (due to the stupidity of some-my interpretation). As of recently a rzr rider was told to take it home as other side by sides were passing on the beach as the LEO was telling him to take it home. Go figure? Personally I dont see much difference in a side by side than a golf cart with fat beach tires other than the fact the most side by sides can easily exceed the posted speed limits.

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/opinions/opinions/50abbott/op/2012/htm/ga0934.htm