Rieco-Titan Correct Track and 2" lift For the 300C

CrazyCooter

After getting the 300C home last week it was obvious that this thing was going to need a lift to pull level behind my pickup and have enough clearance to go into the back yard without stacking blocks under the tires. I could tell by the way it was riding behind the truck that the axle tracking was off to the left.

Enter the Rieco-Titan Correct Track alignment kit. The kit provides a way to set tracking of all axles and a 2" lift as an added bonus for me.:cool: I am a little skeptical of the "bolt-on" spring hangers, but after speaking with Sonny at Rieco I was assured they would be an improvement in strength and stiffness over the stock hangers. Besides, how else would you adjust the tracking without serious work?

The brakes didn't work real well and I always pack my own bearings on a new rig.......so off came the drums! I was pleasantly surprised that there was actually grease in the bearings and was sufficient, but since the drums were out of round .020", I figured I would machine those and pack the bearings with my favorite Amsoil grease. Brake adjustment was out by a lot. I didn't count the clicks, but it was way over 25 per wheel to start. All magnets were drawing 2.4Amps +or- .1A. There was a 1.6v drop in voltage between the pin box and the RR brake backing plate. May have to run larger wire back there in the future if braking doesn't improve drastically after bed in.

Here is a few pics during the install:

2011-08-20_14-37-45_160.jpg

2011-08-20_14-38-00_364.jpg

2011-08-20_14-37-53_760.jpg

Upon measuring the ride height on the level shop floor, if was apparent the right side of the trailer was low by 1 1/4" at the outside walls and 1/2" at he frame. This would be the perfect time to make a couple of spring spacers to install under the spring.

Since I had things apart, I also decided to try Rieco's Never Fail spring bushings. I have always been a fan of Dexter's HD wet bolt kit, but these are a different approach to the problem. The bushings are made from a super tough plastic and are impregnated with moly for lubrication.

2011-08-20_14-42-16_444.jpg

2011-08-20_14-42-32_420.jpg

Figured I may as well balance the tires since they were off the rig.....

2011-08-20_14-48-05_203.jpg

I have seen many people who need just a little lift on their rig and these fit the bill. No major chassis modifications, it's reversible if needed, and almost every vehicle on the road can benefit from correct axle tracking. Tires will wear better and fuel economy may improve as well.

I can now see both sides of the trailer in the side mirrors instead of just the left before.

I guess we'll see how things hold up over time.

Tony

CrazyCooter

Brett,

The retail on the Correct Track is around $330 and the Never Fail Bushings $65 for 2 axle kits. Took me all day to do the job (Brakes, axle tracking, and right side spacer) in a well equipped shop.

I was editing while you typed your post, so there is a little more up there.

rustyshakelford

thats not to terribly bad! you are more than welcome to come hang out here and help me install it if youd like? CA to TX would be a great time for a shake down cruise

brett

CrazyCooter

I'd love to take a trip out that way! Have friends in the DFW area and SW Tenn. Gotta get this thing to hold water before we can take a trip though.... :)

I noticed two of the tires, LF/RR were noticeably worn more that the other two. This should correct that as well.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tony,

You could make quite a haul setting up a shop to do this work for trailer owners. I've seen this alignment problem all over the forums, all brands. Unfortunately it's buyer beware, and usually you don't see its ill effects during the first year of ownership.

E

CrazyCooter

Tony,

You could make quite a haul setting up a shop to do this work for trailer owners. I've seen this alignment problem all over the forums, all brands. Unfortunately it's buyer beware, and usually you don't see its ill effects during the first year of ownership.

E

Funny you should suggest such a thing..... I worked for an shop specializing in RV chassis repair and alignment for 8 years before opening my own drive train/suspension repair shop 8 years ago. I mainly do Jeeps, trucks, and fleet service, but do a lot of RV type frame and axle repairs. Seems many shops don't want to work on RV's....and those that do, really have no business working on the underside of one.......

You can probably see all the equipment in the background as I went in yesterday to take advantage of my shop. :) Almost couldn't get anything done....everyone wanted to walk through the new trailer!

These are new products to me and wanted to try them out before recommending it to someone for their use. No better way than on the new toy hauler!

I should note that I'm not trying to solicit any new business, just passing on any knowledge to my new friends here.....;)

Tony

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tony, I was speaking from my experience... Can't seem to find someone here in the Dallas area to do this type of work!! Wish you were closer to us! Lol!

E

rustyshakelford

looks like a pretty straight forward install. would it be easier to install it at the house and then take it somewhere for the alignment? would an 18 wheeler shop have the capabilities?

thanks and the 2" lift would be an added bonus...just with my 3010 had the 8' garage door!

brett

CrazyCooter

You can set the axle tracking with a plum bob and tape measure as long as you have a flat surface to work on.

I'm going to take mine in to the truck shop to have toe and camber checked/set once it gets loaded just to be sure things are perfect.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
See? I told you it was an easy solution... LOL Glad to see it worked out for you!

Urban350

Just curious if you think that the kit is strong enough to take the side loads that the trailer can put on the hangers as I am thinking of doing this also but do not want to weld anything on.

Thanks Tim

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I would say that it is strong enough. We had ours put on in Elkhart, IN, then went thru KY to TN, back to KY, then south thru AR, OK, TX, NM, AZ and over that POS road they call hwy 99 in CA. It held up on hwy 40 thru OK. :) We have had numerous other trips since then, including the infamous HWY 299 W to the coast, and to Reno a few times. Ours is still good, still where it's supposed to be and still doing it's job. Tire wear looks great.

Vtxkid

Their was a write-up about the Rieco-Titan Correct Track II alignment kit about three to four months ago in the trailer Life mag... I was also interested in it and asked on the forum if anybody else had heard of or had this kit install, but nobody was familar with it... Sounds like it was fairly straight forward install. When the time comes where I feel its time for an alignment, this kit will be my answer too... Good info and appreciate the pics!

Urban350

I would say that it is strong enough. We had ours put on in Elkhart, IN, then went thru KY to TN, back to KY, then south thru AR, OK, TX, NM, AZ and over that POS road they call hwy 99 in CA. It held up on hwy 40 thru OK. :) We have had numerous other trips since then, including the infamous HWY 299 W to the coast, and to Reno a few times. Ours is still good, still where it's supposed to be and still doing it's job. Tire wear looks great.

Thanks for the info

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have installed the Correct Track on 2 coaches without any problems. Our current coach is a much heavier coach than the BC 3250 (just traded) and the Correct Track handles the weight. Normally my hubby does the driving but I just pulled the BC 3650 to Bristol by myself for the first time since we got it and I'm amazed at how well it tracks. We had in the past horrible tire wear which had us doing some research and that's when we found out about the Correct Track. We will continue to install it on any new coach in the future.