Rig/Truck weighing Procedure

sdagro

Hi Wharton,

That's exactly what we did. We loaded as if we were going on trip, except for maybe 20-30# of refrigerator items. Full propane tanks, fuel fuel tank, approx. 8 gal. water in fresh water tank.
You should really weigh loaded for a trip. Weighing unloaded is more a curiosity number.

Wharton

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. Our 3670, when loaded, weighs close to 16,000 that is why I thought the 11960 you quoted was unloaded(dry weight). I think you need to worry about the GWVR in addition to everything else. GWVR is the weight of your trailer loaded, not hitched to anything. If you get your truck weighed by itself I think you will have enough numbers to determine this. In my mind, this is the first number you need to worry about(since many people are over), then come the rest of the numbers.

I would love to be corrected on this is I am wrong. I thought I had it clear in my mind but this summer someone said something(don't remember what) that had me second guessing myself.

sdagro

Hey Tom,

Sounds like I need the tow vehicle in your signature!!
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. Our 3670, when loaded, weighs close to 16,000 that is why I thought the 11960 you quoted was unloaded(dry weight). I think you need to worry about the GWVR in addition to everything else. GWVR is the weight of your trailer loaded, not hitched to anything. If you get your truck weighed by itself I think you will have enough numbers to determine this. In my mind, this is the first number you need to worry about(since many people are over), then come the rest of the numbers.

I would love to be corrected on this is I am wrong. I thought I had it clear in my mind but this summer someone said something(don't remember what) that had me second guessing myself.

GWZ1948

Re: Rig/Truck weighing Procedure_WEIGHT FORM

Go to Bridgestone / Firestone web site. They have a neat PDF file called weigh form. It includes a worksheet and diagram as to the process of weighing each axle, each wheel and a formula to calculate your over / under!

6.7powerstroke

Hi Steve. I don't see a truck in your signature, but I am going to assume you have a 3/4 ton GM. The tow guide is a joke, it is totally worthless. Ford, GM and Dodge all stack the numbers to make them look better. The towing capacity in those guides is computed by taking the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) and subtracting the lightest configuration made of that truck, assuming only a 150 pound driver. Unless you have a 2wd, regular cab, gas burner with no power windows or anything else that adds weight, your actual towing capacity will be much lower. How bad is 480 pounds? It is 480 pounds bad. That is quite a bit of weight. Also, did you have your entire family in the car? Dog? Full tank of fuel? Were you in the car while it was weighed too? All of these things add up. Only you can decide if you feel okay driving overloaded by 500 pounds, but at the end of the day, you are heavy and there is nothing you can do to legally change the weight rating of the truck.

sdagro

Hi Dave, Pretty computer challenged. I have a 2008 1 ton SRW GMC. How do I add that to my signature? And yes I am overloaded and no I am not crazy about it but at this point I can not afford to put 2 more tires on the ground to make it better. DW wants to know why I worry about everything?? Steve
Hi Steve. I don't see a truck in your signature, but I am going to assume you have a 3/4 ton GM. The tow guide is a joke, it is totally worthless. Ford, GM and Dodge all stack the numbers to make them look better. The towing capacity in those guides is computed by taking the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) and subtracting the lightest configuration made of that truck, assuming only a 150 pound driver. Unless you have a 2wd, regular cab, gas burner with no power windows or anything else that adds weight, your actual towing capacity will be much lower. How bad is 480 pounds? It is 480 pounds bad. That is quite a bit of weight. Also, did you have your entire family in the car? Dog? Full tank of fuel? Were you in the car while it was weighed too? All of these things add up. Only you can decide if you feel okay driving overloaded by 500 pounds, but at the end of the day, you are heavy and there is nothing you can do to legally change the weight rating of the truck.

6.7powerstroke

Hi Steve - I would confirm that weight capacity, seems really light for a 1 ton. What is the GVRW of the truck? I know the Fords have always carried a little more, but here are the numbers on mine. GVWR is 11,600 pounds, wich a truck weight of around 7600 with me in there. Leaves about 4000 for hitch, hitch weight, gear, whatever. Well within the limits. 2500 weight capacity is what the 3/4 Ford has, I believe the GVRW on a 250 is 10,000 and the 250 and 350 weigh about the same. Usually it is the giant tri-axles that demand the dualy because they have a much hugher GVWR of the trailer (18K) and more tongue weight than a traditional 5th wheel, due to carrying more weight behind the axles. At the end of the day, you are probably fine but at least you know where you stand.

Well, i did a little more research and it looks like your GVWR of your 2008 GMC 3500 is 9900 pounds, which would explain the lower hitch weight rating. Sounds like all of your calculations are correct, the GMC just has a lower GVWR that I suspected. What is really nuts is that the 2500 is 9200 pounds, so there really isn't much of a difference. If you bought a 2011 GM product, I know that the GVWR is much higher due to the new frame for 2011, you would certainly not need a dualy in a 2011 model. Good luck!