RM2852 Not cooling on AC

agpopp

Hi guys, getting ready for a trip Friday and turned on the fridge to get it ready and its not cooling on electric (5 hours so far, but the floor of the freezer is ambient temp) On the last outing (our first with the new /used rig ) I used LP exclusively and haven't had the chance to check it out until today. The flue pipe is getting warm but fridge is 70. I leveled the rig before turning it on , but it is stored unlevel.
Any thoughts? Im going to verify it is in fact working on propane still tomorrow because it started raining here.
Thanks for any input.

danemayer

Hi agpopp,

Two things: 1) 5 hours isn't very long with these refrigerators and 2) on most (all?) refrigerators, the cooling unit makes contact against the back wall. I'd expect the back wall to feel cool long before the floor does.

agpopp

I've gone through the mill with rv fridges before, and I'm not afraid to do some battling. I'll check the board tomorrow but think I may try to do the burp thing. After work.

agpopp

Ran on 110 all night, no noticeable cooling in Freezer. I'm going to pull it and "Burp" it when I get home as a last ditch effort. Looks like unplugging it, take off the gas line and find all of the screws allows it to come out. Any insight would be appreciated.

agpopp

Took fridge out today, rolled it all around, cleaned the burner tube and checked all of the values with an ohm meter. Plugged it itln, ran it and thermo fuse popped out in 10 minutes. Are these replaceable or able to be checked in some way? There are no signs of leaks or ammonia smells. Anyone bypass this or replace before?

agpopp

I'm running a 1 man thread here in case it benefits someone in the future. From what I have read, the thermofuse is really a protection from the boiler overheating and catching the works on fire, normally for running LP. (Mine was probably a retrofit from the big recall way back, AND should not be getting hot enough under any circumstance in only 10 minutes to pop) It seems that 2 hours is the usual time for the thermo to trip, so I reset it again and let it run while my dad and I met for dinner. Just came back and the fridge is cooling! The coils are warming up and the freezer is getting real chilly (Too soon to tell how cold it will get) I did not find the thermo reset was out until I reinstalled the fridge, but I'm thinking it is weak and potentially was the problem the entire time. I will bypass it to check if the cooling unit works if this all falls apart this evening, that and combined with the coil being partially blocked or crystallized is getting this trip back on schedule. I did roll the fridge around as said above and smacked the coils in the corners with a rubber mallet to try and break up and deposits- but is definitely working right now.
I'll update tomorrow.

guyc66

Glad to hear your fridge is working again for you! Thanks for sharing this info for our future reference.....

agpopp

Well, 2 days so far running in the driveway and switched between LP and AC a few times and its running fine. If anyone has an issue like this in the future and the heat element and board checks out, definitely try this before you buy a new one.