Road Warrior Towing Bounce

IronJ

I have not installed it but ive changed pin boxes before...

So im assuming you just unbolt old bolt in new...

Prob have to swap over emergency brake cable box...

Should be it...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have not installed it but ive changed pin boxes before...

So im assuming you just unbolt old bolt in new...

Prob have to swap over emergency brake cable box...

Should be it...

Probably need to adjust it for height so that the trailer will tow level.

Sniper

So all you do is unbolt the old pin box and bolt this one in?
This is how I installed ours
Well the Mor/ryde pin box finally arrived, I was very impressed with the packaging. Didn't have a scratch on it. 3 Hours after it got here I had it on, and I installed it by myself. :cool:

The first picture shows all the bolts removed with the old pin box held with the 5th wheel, and an 12" round pry bar. I simply pulled the bar and pulled forward a few feet. Pulled the old pin box off the 5th wheel, and put the new pin box in the 5th wheel, and backed up under the toy hauler, raised the back of the new pin box, put the pry bar in a bolt hole and started putting in bolts.

This picture shows the Mor/ryde pin box installed. The torque specs given where somewhat confusing, because it gave 3 different specifications for the exact same bolt. So I used my Father's torque method used a 3 foot breaker bar and tightened them "until they squealed" (them bolts ain't going nowhere now boy). I couldn't bring myself to drill into the new box so I mounted the break away switch using one the old pin box cover mounting holes.

What do ya think? :rolleyes:

Hope this helps. :)

mlpeloquin

Over torque a bolt and it can set up micro cracks that will slowly progress until the bolt failure. It can also force it permanently to looses the spring tension in the threads and with vibration have the bolts loosen up. So perhaps you galled the threads and the micro cracks won't form. You can get away with it, but someday it will bite you in a bad way.

Rhyph

Is it a BIG difference? Can you tell us how its better?

I haven't read through this whole thread, but we had a significant chucking issue with our RW (lateral forward and back motion) when going over bumps and such on the highway which I attributed to us having 3 axles worth of rubber on the ground. We went Trail-Air and you can see the original thread here: https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...in-Mobile-RV-Tech-suggestions-in-Atlanta-Area

While that post is not super insightful from my behalf, you will find many tips from others here on how to do it. It does end with a picture from ours and we did see a major ride quality improvement. I'd say about 85% of the lateral motion is gone and about 95% of the road shock (vertical jounce) sent through the truck's suspension in to the trailer frame and back is gone. I would call it a big difference and worth the investment.

EVANSJNT

We are new to the RV community and bought our RW355 in May 2016. I did some considerable research for upgrades to the factory king pin. We had the Demco Glide Ride king pin box installed to match up with our Demco slider hitch. He glide ride acts like a glider rocker and did not notice the bucking as compared to our friends. I have to say he terrain we covered to test this out was from Texas to California, the to Alaska via Sweetgrass MT and the ALCAN highway ending in Fairbanks AK. The rig and 5th wheel handled great through the mountains and frost heaves.

I installed firestone airbags on my f250 to pull my road warrior 427 and it pulls like a dream. My road warrior came with the moryde kingpin which helps with some of the jerking, however the airbags stopped almost all play in the trailer that was effecting my truck while pulling. I do plan to eventually install a kingpin with an air bag on it just to ease pressure on rough roads. Hope this helps

TxRoadWarrior362

I installed firestone airbags on my f250 to pull my road warrior 427 and it pulls like a dream. My road warrior came with the moryde kingpin which helps with some of the jerking, however the airbags stopped almost all play in the trailer that was effecting my truck while pulling. I do plan to eventually install a kingpin with an air bag on it just to ease pressure on rough roads. Hope this helps

Did you install the air bag system yourself?

No,However if I would have seen the system prior I might have ....you do have to lift the bed off but its not as hard as it sounds that I have done . If your thinking of doing it without the onboard compressor and wireless remote then I dont think it would be that difficult if you know your way around a toolbox . P.S. If your put them in w/ no compressor / remote it shouldnt cost more than about 750 installed so pick your poison i guess man

TxRoadWarrior362

No,However if I would have seen the system prior I might have ....you do have to lift the bed off but its not as hard as it sounds that I have done . If your thinking of doing it without the onboard compressor and wireless remote then I dont think it would be that difficult if you know your way around a toolbox . P.S. If your put them in w/ no compressor / remote it shouldnt cost more than about 750 installed so pick your poison i guess man

thanks

hboy1

Just to add to TxRoadWarrior362, I installed airlift bags in my garage. It was pretty easy to install. I did not have to remove the bed. The only trick was making sure there are no leaks. Airlift did send me a replacement airbag which was initially defective. I purchased off amazon. I contacted AirLift directly with my problem and they sent replacement part no questions asked.

I do not have a on board air compressor. I just air up the bags when I air up the rear tires for towing. If I towed more often I would consider an onboard air compressor but I actually prefer NOT having one right now (less hardware, less cost, less maintenance/problem potential). I typically travel with an air compressor (6 gallon pancake). It takes about 10 seconds to air up both bags using this.

I chose the airbags with the internal jounce bumper and would probably choose those ones again.

TxRoadWarrior362

Just to add to TxRoadWarrior362, I installed airlift bags in my garage. It was pretty easy to install. I did not have to remove the bed. The only trick was making sure there are no leaks. Airlift did send me a replacement airbag which was initially defective. I purchased off amazon. I contacted AirLift directly with my problem and they sent replacement part no questions asked.

I do not have a on board air compressor. I just air up the bags when I air up the rear tires for towing. If I towed more often I would consider an onboard air compressor but I actually prefer NOT having one right now (less hardware, less cost, less maintenance/problem potential). I typically travel with an air compressor (6 gallon pancake). It takes about 10 seconds to air up both bags using this.

I chose the airbags with the internal jounce bumper and would probably choose those ones again.

Thanks for the feedback hboy1. Sounds like something I can install if the wife takes a few items off the "to do" list.

We'll be in Stillwater this fall to watch another Pokes game. I'de like to have them installed before driving thru Dallas again!