Rotating trailer tires

crors7

Do you rotate the tires on a trailer and if you do do you rotate the spare in?

Last edited by a moderator:

Garypowell

I rotate the four on the ground. They are G614's but the spare is still the blow max so it stays put.

Soon on I will be replacing the spare with a Sailune but will not rotate it. Will wait until time to change GR's and make one of them spares and then pull out the Sailun.

crors7

I have sailun 637, I have the steel wheel on the spare from the factory, I will order a matching rim for the spare if it should be rotated in . How often? I have right at 1000 miles on them right now and headed out in 2 weeks for a 2500+ mile trip.

Jv75353

I rotated mine about 8000

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Is there a recommended pattern for rotating the tires? Right to left and left to right? Shift from axle to axle? Any recommendations will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Jim.Allison

I want to get the spare on the ground, I'm wondering if any automotive rotation technique will work that includes rotating the spare?
Is there a recommended pattern for rotating the tires? Right to left and left to right? Shift from axle to axle? Any recommendations will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

I have sailun 637, I have the steel wheel on the spare from the factory, I will order a matching rim for the spare if it should be rotated in . How often? I have right at 1000 miles on them right now and headed out in 2 weeks for a 2500+ mile trip.

I don't know the benefits of rotation, or what the definitive answer is. But 1000 i think is premature. I'm wondering if waiting until you do a grease job and hub inspection between 7 and 10k or annually would be better?

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We take the Landmark to our local tire dealership in the spring to have the tires rotated and balanced every spring before camping season. We also have the axle alignment checked every 2 years since the camper came with Correct Track.

GregP

We just replaced the original Towmax with 5 Sailun 637's. The spare is on the steel wheel that came with unit, however, I will replace that with matching rim so that I can rotate all five tires annually. There is a lot of weight difference from one side of the trailer to the other on our 3010RE, so I feel that rotation will get the best wear life out of our tire investment.

mlpeloquin

Had out 3010RE weighed at the Goshen rally last year. Left to right, front to back was within 100 pounds. So we were balanced. Going to get weighed again at the Los Vegas rally since I have changed the pin box and added a washer/dryer combo. So before we were weighed I thought the left side weighed more than the right, but it wasn't. I don't see a reason to rotate the fifth wheel tires at all.

GregP

We had our BH3010RE weighed last year and the results showed the the forward trailer axle was 800 heavier on the left (OD) side while the rear axle was 900 heavier on the left (OD) side. We also do not have the washer dryer combo. Ours was weighed with all tanks empty (Black, Grey, & Fresh) but otherwise loaded for the road. Any suggestions as to why there would be so much apparent weight difference from side to side? The trailer seems to sit level when hitched and suspension looks good underneath.

danemayer

We had our BH3010RE weighed last year and the results showed the the forward trailer axle was 800 heavier on the left (OD) side while the rear axle was 900 heavier on the left (OD) side. We also do not have the washer dryer combo. Ours was weighed with all tanks empty (Black, Grey, & Fresh) but otherwise loaded for the road. Any suggestions as to why there would be so much apparent weight difference from side to side? The trailer seems to sit level when hitched and suspension looks good underneath.
On ours, we have a mega-slide on the off-doorside with a heavy sofabed, large kitchen counter, cabinets above and below, 4 door refrigerator, 7' high pantry, all our cookware, dishes, kitchen appliances, microwave/convection oven and all our food. On the doorside is a shorter slide, 2 fairly light stressless recliners, the dining table and 2 chairs. That's quite a weight imbalance from side to side.

Birchwood

On the left side that is heavy on our Landmark I have the tires turned on the rim because of inside wear.The other side has even wear so leave them as is!

GregP

It sounds like Dan's Landmark is configured similar to our BH3010RE, although I think the Landmark is heavier overall. When we were weighed, I attributed the weight difference to the fact that the large slide and all the heavy stuff is on the OD side, with almost minimal furnishings on the DS. I try to balance the loading to even things out, but it's pretty hard to make up a 800-900 lb differential in weight. At any rate...that weight difference is enough to make me think that the OD side tires will wear faster than those on the door side which is why I will rotate the tires annually.

SNOKING

I have to ask, is anyone wearing out tires before they age out. I ran Michelin XPS Ribs on our earlier SOB for 6.5 years and around 40k+ miles. All four tires wore evenly, and were replaced because of age. They were never rotated! If a trailer has uneven tire wear , then the cause(alignment or bad bearing) should be addressed.

Tires like the Sailun S637 should also age out way before they wear out, so in my book there is no reason to rotate them.

Here is a link to retired tire engineer that posts on many forums. He was Tireman9 on RV.net for many years.

https://youtu.be/0LBwf2dzNQs

Rotating trailer tires is a solution looking for a problem that does not exists in most cases. Chris

danemayer

I put 40,000 miles on our original Goodyear G614s. The only rotation I did was to offset some abnormal wear caused by an axle problem. When the axle was replaced, I had the tires moved. Other than that the tires wore evenly.

I have 10,000 miles on the Goodyear G114s and they are wearing evenly. No plans to rotate them.

If I were to guess about why it's important to rotate auto tires, it might be because there's a steering axle. But that just a guess.

dlw930

If I were to guess about why it's important to rotate auto tires, it might be because there's a steering axle. But that just a guess.

I think that is correct. The front tires on an auto or pickup are subject to different wear conditions due to the steering and front suspension mechanisms. Rotating front tires to the rear and vice versa extends the life of the tires considerably. Rotating trailer tires shouldn't hurt anything, but generally shouldn't be necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

My G614 Goodyears are almost five yrs old and I did swap out the spare and one on the ground due to some minimal outside tread wear. It'll take another five years or more to wear out the tread anyway so I see no need to rotate. They'll age out long before they wear out.