Route from Jersey to Conneticut

Oldelevatorman

Being Californians would love suggestions on best route for 43 foot fifth wheel from Atlantic City area to Mystic, Ct.
heard to avoid I-95

'Lil Guy'

Good luck up that way. We were up that way last fall and had a tough time with the roads everywhere. Everything runs north and south. Toll roads and turnarounds everywhere. Along the coast of Connecticut , the roads are so narrow I could barely get my dually around. Sorry, I'm just venting from my own trip. Bar Harbor, Maine made up for all of the trouble. Enjoy your trip and I hope someone with actual knowledge of the area can help you. Safe travels.

I was up that that way last weekend. Towing a 28 foot boat.
I crossed the GW bridge at 5:30 am and had little to no traffic. Stayed on I-95 the whole way.
The roads in NY were a little rough.
Didn't have any issues with width.
Just pick the right time of day and have a safe trip

Tom

porthole

Retired
Being Californians would love suggestions on best route for 43 foot fifth wheel from Atlantic City area to Mystic, Ct.
heard to avoid I-95

There is no best way to make that route, only the lesser of multiple evils.

Keep in mind we are toll happy in the Northeast

Most direct and stressful with some of the worst roads (I-95) is:

GSP (Garden State Parkway) to NJTP (New Jersey Turnpike) to the GWB (George Washington Bridge) to 95 north to Mystic

Slightly less stressful (avoids NYC):

GSP to the end, which turns into I-287 when crossing into NY. 287 east towards the Tappan Zee Bridge to I-95 to Mystic

Slightly less stressful then the above

GSP to the end, I-287 west to I-87 north (New York Thruway to I-84 into CT to I-91 to I-95 to Mystic.

Keep in mind any road listed in the Northeast as "Parkway" has a restriction against trucks and or trailers, and your pickup is a truck and your trailer will not clear the bridges.

The only exception to that is the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey. You are good to go the entire 171 miles on the GSP. Just be aware as you head north of milepost 130 the over head bridges are mostly arched.

They have plenty of clearance as long as you stay off the shoulder (12' clearance is typical).

I tend to stay in the middle or second lane if more then 3 lanes to go under the bridges

fastcarsspeed

Just make sure you have proper gps or are very careful with roads. I have been working up above NYC and there are a ton of roads that will not handle the height so just be aware and be careful.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We will be coming across Pennsylvania/New York/Connecticut on interstate 84. For a short period of time we will be on 691/91/9 heading to 95 over to Mystic. Does anyone know of any restrictions on 691/91/9??

Oldelevatorman

We made it to Mystic without much trouble other than about 10 miles of bumper to bumper getting into Connecticut, we took the Tappan Zee bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
We made it to Mystic without much trouble other than about 10 miles of bumper to bumper getting into Connecticut, we took the Tappan Zee bridge.

Didn't realize you were passing through right away. If you felt like a quick stop on the Garden State Parkway we would have stopped over for a lunch greet and Deb could have gotten her California fix, she is from Claremont. We are 1.5 miles from the 100 milepost rest stop.

At least you made it relatively unscathed. Traffic for any of the routes you would pick from are a gamble. Are you in Mystic for the rally?

Oldelevatorman

Didn't realize you were passing through right away. If you felt like a quick stop on the Garden State Parkway we would have stopped over for a lunch greet and Deb could have gotten her California fix, she is from Claremont. We are 1.5 miles from the 100 milepost rest stop.

At least you made it relatively unscathed. Traffic for any of the routes you would pick from are a gamble. Are you in Mystic for the rally?

We had planned to be in Mystic before we'd heard about the Heartland rally, if that's the one you're referring to, but we are going to join them on Friday for a potluck. Sorry we weren't able to meet up. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley, not too far from Claremont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk