Route Planning Height Limits

Jeppy

Is there any app or route planning software that highlights or flags height issues on a route. Pretty to encounter a low bridge or tunnel and have to back up a mile to re-route.

Oldelevatorman

Is there any app or route planning software that highlights or flags height issues on a route. Pretty to encounter a low bridge or tunnel and have to back up a mile to re-route.

I use a truckers atlas, available at any of the major truck stops. Shows low bridges, toll roads, truck routes etc. everywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

Go to Forum at top of page and you'll be in the general section. Scroll down and you'll see a section on GPS and Navigation. Great forum when you get used to it. Good luck with your endeavor.

danemayer

I also carry a trucker's atlas, but for years have been using a Garmin RV760 GPS. Once the height of the RV is set in the GPS, it selects routes that have appropriate clearance.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have read that WAZE professional ( not the free app ) allows you to enter height, weight, and length and will route you accordingly. I plan on upgrading to this paid app before the next camping year begins for me. I have only had to backup once and it was no fun.

K
<style></style>

Jeppy

I have read that WAZE professional ( not the free app ) allows you to enter height, weight, and length and will route you accordingly. I plan on upgrading to this paid app before the next camping year begins for me. I have only had to backup once and it was no fun.

K
<style></style>
Thanks for all your help. I use Waze a lot and that would be a great option if true.

pegmikef

I also carry a trucker's atlas, but for years have been using a Garmin RV760 GPS. Once the height of the RV is set in the GPS, it selects routes that have appropriate clearance.

I do the same as Dan, but I also use lowclearances.com which is compatible with several GPS units and Microsoft's Streets and Trips. I have their database loaded into Streets and Trips and my height set at 14' so it shows me all heights less than 14 feet so I can make the judgement on the route. Finally I compare my planned route to the truckers atlas and if it is not a designated truck route, I will either use an alternate route or do the research as to why it isn't designated a truck route.

Jeppy

Thanks for all your help. I use Waze a lot and that would be a great option if true.
Unfortunately Waze is not an option and they have no interest in adding features for the commercial or RV croud. I will keep looking!

donr827

I always checked two sources since GPS will occasionally be incorrect. It's like the old carpenter's saying: Measure twice cut once.

Don

Alan_B

I always checked two sources since GPS will occasionally be incorrect. It's like the old carpenter's saying: Measure twice cut once.

Don

Absolutely. We use a Garmin RV770 and really like it. However before we head out I always compare it’s suggested route against Google maps and look for any differences.

With the Garmin I can toggle it to car-only mode to help figure out any variances with Google maps. Is it giving me a different route because of the height/weight of the fifth wheel? Or just being creative?

SilverRhino

I have used Low Clearances for the past few years and really like it. The data is available for Garmin, Microsoft Streets & Trips, Google Earth,TomTom, MapSource, and Rand McNally. You can access all of the formats that you require for your personal use. For a small yearly subscription this data is available for you to download to your GPS. An even better deal is to get a lifetime subscription and then you will receive all the updates. Go to LowClearances.com to update or get your subscription. This is by far the best source I have found for low clearances and is very easy to use.

jerryjay11

I just took a look at this Low Clearances app and considering it. Pros - compatible with Rand McNally, Google Maps. Both of which I use. Cons - It doesn't automatically reroute you as the Rand McNally RV GPS does. Instead you have to reroute it yourself before taking the trip. Correct me if I misunderstood this.

pegmikef

I just took a look at this Low Clearances app and considering it. Pros - compatible with Rand McNally, Google Maps. Both of which I use. Cons - It doesn't automatically reroute you as the Rand McNally RV GPS does. Instead you have to reroute it yourself before taking the trip. Correct me if I misunderstood this.

Regarding rerouting, that is true, but I use it when I am initially laying out my travel plans and it is nice to have it as it shows the clearances and I can plan my route around them.

mlpeloquin

I do the same as Dan, but I also use lowclearances.com which is compatible with several GPS units and Microsoft's Streets and Trips. I have their database loaded into Streets and Trips and my height set at 14' so it shows me all heights less than 14 feet so I can make the judgement on the route. Finally I compare my planned route to the truckers atlas and if it is not a designated truck route, I will either use an alternate route or do the research as to why it isn't designated a truck route.

Good idea to double check. I have never had a problem since I began using lowclearances until while going from Scranton, PA to Accord, NY. I should have made a note of it, but I did not. I think it was in New York on rout 209 that we came to a stop light. Traffic was to bypass the narrow main street and turn left. There was an underpass with the height sign blocked by a tree branch. With lowclearance I was not so worried about not being able to see it. Once committed, it is too late. The height clearance was 12' 8 or 10 inches with a statement 13' 4" actual. Boy did I crawl under it. Made it. This train bridge clearance is not in the lowclearance data base.

RoadJunkie

I downloaded the CoPilot GPS program yesterday because it looked like a good application to have available on your smartphone..! It was $30/year so I’ll try it and see if I will want to continue using it.

I’m interested in feedback on CoPilot, I was going to order but disappointed in some of the reviews.

'Lil Guy'

I downloaded the CoPilot GPS program yesterday because it looked like a good application to have available on your smartphone..! It was $30/year so I’ll try it and see if I will want to continue using it.

Likewise. I installed the co-pilot GPS for RV today. $29.99. For that price I'll give it a try Like the RV features. Should work as good as my Garmin 760 and will be nice to get rid of another screen on my dash. Between Garmin, rear view camera and TPMS, running out of room up there.

danemayer

I’m interested in feedback on CoPilot, I was going to order but disappointed in some of the reviews.

Before they released an RV version, I tried CoPilot with voice navigation running on an iPad. The large screen was outstanding and the way the app presents the map is really good. I especially like the way it portrays each 1/10 of a mile as you approach a turn.

I ran it in parallel with my Garmin 760RV, using the same settings for navigation and routing. The CoPilot and Garmin frequently selected different routes. I have great confidence in the Garmin routing so I followed the Garmin. I can't say how the CoPilot directions would have compared. But it concerned me that they disagreed so often. I think they use different map data suppliers, so perhaps that accounts in part for routing differences.

An advantage of the CoPilot, is that if you have a data plan on the iPad, or to your phone, you can look up any point of interest on Google and load it into the CoPilot routing. The Garmin 760RV has a pretty good POI database aimed at RVers, but it's not nearly as good as a Google search.