Route Recommendations for NorthEastern States

GregP

Hi there.
We are planning a trip to the East Coast of Canada (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island this year and would like to also travel thru the Northeastern US States (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York) as we have never been that way before. Any suggestions from residents or fellow travellers as to suggested RV routes or MUST see attractions/locations. We are pulling a Bighorn 3010RE and are aware that in New Brunswick at least there are low covered bridges...scenic but not necessarily RV friendly. Due to family commitments, we can't leave until early July, but intend to be on the road until around the end of September before heading South for the winter.

Greg and Cathy P.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
When in the Northeast States be sure to avoid any route using the terminology "Parkway"! Most are restricted to cars only and many have low clearance issues. NY is great for this! Some are marked with the restriction, but not all are so avoid them with or without signage!

GregP

Thank you. I was not aware of that. My preference would be to travel via secondary highways and take a little more time, but the height issue would have to be considered for sure.
Greg

porthole

Retired
You didn't mention Jersey, but the "Parkway" in New Jersey is OK to use. Just have to be aware that on the northern 30-40 miles there are arched bridges with low clearance on the shoulders, and one or two with low clearance on the right side of the right lane.

And secondary roads, once you get into the NE tend to be "hilly". I call them roller coaster hills, 100-400 foot elevation changes, 1/4 to 1 miles between.
We prefer the secondary roads as well when we have the time.

aatauses

we lived in ME 35 yrs before going full time. It will be busy that time of year.. Not sure if you want ocean (Bar Harbor area) or mountains (Greenville area)---I 95 is an easy road as is US 2.. Let me know if something specific and I can help you out.
al

Bohemian

No RVs are allowed on NYS parkways, ever. No HD pickup trucks either.

I would recommend staying away from IS-95 anywhere from DC to Boston. Tunnel restrictions on IS-95 in Baltimore.

No trucks on the North end of the Garden State Parkway in NJ except RVs are allowed. Still, I would stay away if you don't like narrow lanes and congested traffic and those low height outside lanes.

If you like the coast and beaches NJ beaches are the best and the water gets warm in August and September. Cape Cod is fantastic and has great beaches too, but the water never gets warm. Maine has great dramatic rock beaches and the water never gets above 32F. Some many places to visit. Have fun.

Westwind

Hi, we live in Rhode Island and snowbird in Florida (Past 11 years), I have used many routes getting to and from. One of our routes which bypasses Baltimore and Washington, DC is Delmarva or Route 301 which takes you through Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia. Heading south we travel I-95 to I-287/I-87 and then south on Garden State Parkway to New Jersey Turnpike to the Delaware Memorial Bridge to exit 1 where I pick up Route 301 which I take to I-95 above Richmond, Virginia. Lots of tolls on the Garden State/NJ Turnpike/and Delaware Memorial Bridge.

Then you have an alterative which we took this year, we took -95 out of Florida and at Charleston, NC we picked up I-26 then I-77 to I-81 and headed north (hardly any tolls), we picked up I-78 which took us into I-287 in New Jersey to I-287/I-87 across the Tappan Zee Bridge to I-95 and then north. Another choice is to stay on I-81 which will take you to I-84 which you can take to routes into Northern New England.

If I can help with particulars PM me.

Birchwood

For the Maritimes travel to Shediac NB and have a feed of lobster and enjoy the Acadian culture.Travel across the bridge to PEI and
enjoy Ann of Green Gables and all the beautiful sand dunes on the north coast.Its a beautiful island.As for Nova Scotia the Halifax waterfront is nice.If you don't mind the drive Cape Breton is beautiful and it will take a couple weeks for this area.
Not sure of your interests so this is just my take on the area as a resident.

Seren

We are doing a similar trip after the Goshen rally, heading to New England and possibly NB, PEI, and/or NS for the first time. Hopefully will get back to Nashville for the Tennessee rally in mid Oct. Lots of great advise on this forum, but I also use the IRV2.com forum for trip info (they also have an iOS app with the same name). There are a couple of good threads about routes and sights in the area that your planning to go. Just do a search for New England and/or New Brunswick. We also ordered the "2015 New Brunswick Travel Guide" (just Google it), and received it in about a week, lots of good info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDw

porthole

Retired
No RVs are allowed on NYS parkways, ever. No HD pickup trucks either.

I would recommend staying away from IS-95 anywhere from DC to Boston. Tunnel restrictions on IS-95 in Baltimore.

No trucks on the North end of the Garden State Parkway in NJ except RVs are allowed. Still, I would stay away if you don't like narrow lanes and congested traffic and those low height outside lanes.

If you like the coast and beaches NJ beaches are the best and the water gets warm in August and September. Cape Cod is fantastic and has great beaches too, but the water never gets warm. Maine has great dramatic rock beaches and the water never gets above 32F. Some many places to visit. Have fun.

I-95 though the DC area is probably best taking the 495 loop around the city.
I-95 through Baltimore has hazmat restriction for the tunnels, and your propane is considered a hazmat and barred form the tunnels. The simple work around is to use the I-695 bridge over the Patapsco River. I use the GPS coordinates fro the center of the bridge as a waypoint.

The no truck restriction on the NJ Garden State Parkway "mostly" refers to commercial box trucks to tractor trailers north of exit 105. RV's and campers are fine. The low bridge heights are not really an issue. There is only one that is really low northbound and that is on the shoulder. The other low bridge has plenty of clearance in the center lane. "technically, the GSP has 13'6" from one end to the other.
The lanes are not narrow (except when there is a construction zone). At typical heavy travel times (think work schedules) it can get congested with way too many cars in way too much of a hurray.

I-95 through New Jersey is the NJ Turnpike. Tolls can be avoided in the lower half if you choose I-295 for the first 50-60 miles. You would not be alone though in avoiding the tolls.
When there is a wreck on the turnpike, 5+ mile backups are not unusual.

I-95 uses the George Washington Ridge to crossing into New York. Propane restriction on the lower level.

The sections of I-95 in north Jersey up through NYC and into CT are probably among the worse roads to travel north in the area for delays, tolls and horrendous road condition.

The beaches in New Jersey are pretty good, but warm water is very dependent on the wind. A good south east breeze for a couple of days can drop the surf temp to the 50's in August and September.
But, a good NE wind, once it stops, can bring in fabulous clear blue and warm water, mid to upper 70's and higher at times.
There are only two free beaches in New Jersey, Wildwood and Atlantic City.
Every other beach is "pay", same with parking. All the shore towns make their money in the summer, and they are not afraid to charge the outsiders for that privilege.

Bohemian

Yes, the JNP lanes are not narrow. That is for someone used to driving in the NJ NY area. A few others have occasionally freaked out. It all depends on your experience and expectations.

porthole

Retired
Yes, the JNP lanes are not narrow. That is for someone used to driving in the NJ NY area. A few others have occasionally freaked out. It all depends on your experience and expectations.

12' wide is 12' wide, New Jersey, New York or New Mexico. Not sure what you are referring too.

Now for anyone interested in camping in New Jersey, the campgrounds in southern New Jersey tend to be a bit tighter then normal. Most were configured in the days of TT's with no slide outs. They are slowly redoing some of the CG's. And, they aren't ashamed of their pricing. Campgrounds in the northern end, especially within 1-2 hours of NYC tend to get crowed with younger, noisier, weekend crowds from the city.

GregP

Thanks to all for the advice. We will have to go over the maps with all the input from you folks to get a better idea of where we are going to go. We generally don't plan too far ahead as far as destinations go, and try to "wing it" as much as possible. This may not necessarily be the best plan of action for the Eastern Seaboard area, considering the population density and traffic situation, but now that we are retired, I just hate to have things too regimented. I don't even wear a watch. We have had some of our best trips based on information or guidance from other RV'ers we have met on the road and have never been steered wrong yet.

Greg

Westwind

Depending on what your interests are there is so much to see in New England - especially Historical, it's where the United States started. Lots of history. It will require camping outside and driving to the sites but you are retired. Keep asking questions.