Routes 95 and 395

rickandjoyce

Typically coming home from AZ to WA State we take I-5 over Shasta and the Siskiyou Pass. This is typically in late March or early April and we have run into snowstorms at least twice on this trip. We were thinking of going home via I-95 and then to 395 and up through Susanville and Klamath Falls just for something different. We know nothing about travelling these two roads in the winter and would love some input. This would be the first or second week of April. Thank you one and all. We pull a 2011 34' Heartland Elkridge with a 2012 Ford 350 dually.
Joyce and Rick

djlogan

I95 to395 is great though very lonely drive - at least the 95 part. As usual check the weather, but it's usually pretty dry

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I'm assuming you meant US 95. I95 runs up and down the east coast from Maine to Florida. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BouseBill

J&R, The wife and I have driven the AZ to WA route many times, We usually go from our starting point to Las Vegas, Reno, Susanville CA, Lake View OR, La Pine, OR to Biggs OR. Then decide at Biggs which way we want to go rest of the way. Either through Portland back to I-5,or up to Yakima then over the White Pass to Morton. We travel 395 from Susanville up to La Pine OR but stay out of Souther CA on 395 because I don't like CA :D
I hate I-5, it is sooooooo boring, This year we may head up the end of March and I don't think we have ever had any problem with snow, We did stay a few extra days in Susanville because of strong winds one year but there is a real nice RV park there. That route is 1,207 miles.
These days we have been trying a different route which goes from our starting point to Las Vegas, then north on I-15 to 93, north to Alamo Nv, north to ely, Wells, Twin Falls Id, Boise, then over to Biggs OR. 1156 miles, these two routes are a little more remote traveling, but we enjoy that, as I said I hate the interstates unless we have to get somewhere fast. These two routes are normally pretty nice in April with spring conditions.
I try to avoid CA, their fuel prices are normally higher anyway. Hope this helps.

Bill

brianharrison

I traveled US 95 from I80 (east of Reno) to Vegas this November (southbound). Going north from Beatty NV, elevation climbs to about 3000-4000ft. Most of US95 sits at this elevation through NV. As mentioned it is pretty dry, desert landscape. Tonopoh, NV is at 6000 so can be nasty if weather is bad through this area. US95 all the way back to Ontario Oregon, through Winnemuca is a good road, not too many high passes. US 95 and 395 tie back together at Pendleton, OR. We stayed at Beatty NV, Winnemuca, and Pendleton. I looked at 395 but was worried as there appeared to be a few more high passes to travel through compared to 95.

Brian

rickandjoyce

Thanks for the info. We drive I-5 a lot - yes boring - but we hail from CA and make stops to see all of our family. I like your route and will consider that this year. Would you happen to have the name of the RV park? Been to Susanville before, but don't recall the RV parks there. Thanks for the help.