Rubber Roof not installed right

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I sent an email with pics and talked to them on the phone, and they are telling me that theres nothing wrong with the way the cut was performed!! Yes thats what he told me! Thought Heartland would stand behind there product!!
I guess at this point, I agree with jnbhobe, I can't really see in the pictures but it doesn't appear there is any major damage to the sheathing. Clean the surrounding roofing as best you can. Get some Eternabond tape and tape the edges and down into the opening. I'd wager it will last longer than you're going to own the rig.
Since you don't know who installed the 2nd a/c I'm guessing it wasn't Heartland. They would know if you've talked with them and they know the VIN. They are able to check what the rig was built with before leaving the factory.
When and if I ever sell my rig, the next owner will have documented receipts and paperwork for everything ever done to my Bighorn. I truly hope all works out in the end for you.

slb714

Well We have already decided to change out the entire rubber roof already and that is being done as we speak, The Guy I talked to with heartland never said anything about the unit being a dealer add on so Im thinking it came from the factory like this. He said that the only way the roof could come out from under the unit was if the A/C unit was coming loose, and that would allow the roof to move as it did. I asked him if thats the normal/right way of cutting out holes for vents/ A/C units and he said some do leave the factory that way but they've never had a problem with them! its so upsetting that im having to go though this with a 3 year old unit

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just revisited this thread and looked at the pics. It does not look like the OSB has had any damage in the area of the AC unit. Are you sure that the water infiltration is coming from the AC unit and not somewhere else, like a roof seam? How is the caulking? Just thinking out loud here.
It seems odd that if the AC was not installed correctly that it would start leaking after three years and not at day one.
Again, just thinking out loud.
Please come back and let us know the outcome.

Peace
Dave

slb714

it started leaking when the rubber roof started coming out from under the A/C unit, im not saying the A/C unit was installed wrong im saying the roof was installed wrong.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I guess I'm still in the dark. Did HL say they did or did not install the 2nd A/C. The Op's answer seems a little unsure whether it was or not. By the pics, it looks like a hatch job by a dealer to me. JMHO.