Running Fridge on Auto While Enroute

DRGalligher

I hope I'm not repeating this question, I looked for a similar thread and couldn't find one, so am hoping for some input.

We have a 2011 3055RL Bighorn that we tow with a 2011 F350 Diesel DRW. We have always pre-cooled the fridge, packed it, then turned it off enroute to our first camp site for the night. I've read that some RV'ers, that tow units - TT's or fifth wheels, run their fridges on auto, but doesn't that depend on how the wiring is setup on your TV?

Does anyone with a Bighorn and Ford run their fridge on auto enroute?

Thanks!

ncc1701e

Ours stays in AUTO and switches to propane when we disconnect from land power for traveling. At least i know the fridge remains cold and I think it is running on propane. Maybe I'll learn something different in this thread.

danemayer

Hi DRGalligher,

When the frig is on AUTO, and you have no shore power, it will try to light the propane-fired heater and will use 12V from your RV battery. The RV battery should be getting some charge from the truck while connected, so you shouldn't need anything special for this to work.

But even if it doesn't, you should be able to run the frig on LP for 8 hours without running out of battery power unless your day started with a low battery charge, or your battery is near end of life.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Ours is always set to auto so the beer is cold when we git to where were going. I've noticed sometimes a degree or two of warming but I attribute that to the warm days.

jimtoo

We run with ours on all the time. You just need to make sure your pickup is supplying the 12v to keep the battery charged, although it does not take that much to run the fridge for a few hours while towing. I have heard that some of the Fords do not come with the fuse or/and relay installed for the towing package. So you need to check your trailer plug, should be #4 terminal on the plug, to be sure it is supplying the 12v.

Jim M

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I precool the fridge before packing it/leaving the house while it's on shore power. We also make sure the propane is in the line since it will be running on propane "en route"; we do this by making sure the stove lights (to get all the air out of the line) before we leave.

jasons09cyclone

I do everything that Monica above does before I leave on a trip. But I have noticed that if I leave it on auto sometimes after the unplug or plugging back to shore power the frig will say check....so now I turn it to propane while on the road then manually switch it back to auto when I plug in.....
Back when I only had one battery in the fifth wheel, I would run the battery so low the generator would not start so I plugged in my f250 and let it run for a while until there was enough juice to start the gen.. So the ford will charge the battery....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Eddhuy

I have always run in auto while traveling. Back when towing the Terry TT and now with my Prowler and have never encountered a problem.

jayc

Legendary Member
Also, make sure there is plenty of propane in the tank. We ran out when we made a 300 mile trip not long ago and when we arrived, the fridge temp had gone up by 4 or 5 degrees.

dave10a

I have always run with the frig on auto. However, there are some tunnels and bridges that have laws to turn off all propane tanks-- so be aware of them.

wdk450

I pre-cool mine for a day, but the refrigerator loading process immediately before departing heats it back up considerably, so I must run it on auto for food safety's sake. I know there are propane fire risks while travelling, but that is the best I can do for now. I have fortified my flexible propane hose to my kitchen slide with a thick, tough outer hose to lessen the danger of a ruptured hose from tire blowout tire fragments. A self dispensing fire extinguisher in the outside refrigerator compartment is also a good idea.

If the propane fire danger is enough of a concern I will upgrade my battery bank/inverter system (and AC wiring) to enable me to run the refrigerator on AC power while going down the road.

I think most all RVers run the refrigerator on propane running down the road.

DRGalligher

I'm assuming that when the fifth wheel is plugged into the truck, enroute, and the fridge is set to run on electricity only, rather than Auto, it's not enough power to run it? Or is it?

jnbhobe

I'm assuming that when the fifth wheel is plugged into the truck, enroute, and the fridge is set to run on electricity only, rather than Auto, it's not enough power to run it? Or is it?

Most fridge's now days only run on gas or 110V. they only use 12V to power the boardsand gas valve.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If your refer is set to AC it needs to see 120 volts and 12 volts DC. It will not run on LP.
If it is set to Auto and does not see 120volts it will look for 12 volts DC and run on LP.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

12 volts DC runs the logic board which selects the source of power on "auto", and lights the indicator lights. In gas (propane) mode, the 12 volts powers the sparker to light the gas flame and powers the solonoid valve that enables gas flow. In AC electric mode, the 12 volts DC runs the heater energizer relay.

No 12 volts DC, no workee.

DRGalligher

One last question - when running on auto, let's say for safety's sake, we turn off the propane prior to filling the truck with fuel, do we have to run in and turn off the fridge? Or do we leave it on inside, then when we're done re-fueling, we turn the propane back on, will the fridge on Auto detect the propane and automatically kick back on? Or do we have to watch it to double check it's back on before puling out?

jnbhobe

One last question - when running on auto, let's say for safety's sake, we turn off the propane prior to filling the truck with fuel, do we have to run in and turn off the fridge? Or do we leave it on inside, then when we're done re-fueling, we turn the propane back on, will the fridge on Auto detect the propane and automatically kick back on? Or do we have to watch it to double check it's back on before puling out?

Well for me its this way, your filling with diesel so its not a big safety thing like gas. If you shut off the propane before you shut off the fridge it will most likely still be running when your done fueling because it hasn't burned everything in the lines, then you will have to bleed the lines to get it going again. I leave mine run all the time.

Last edited: