Running Fridge on Auto While Enroute

jasons09cyclone

If you turn the propane off.... the fridge will try to relight and cause a bigger spark..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

diesel_doberman

I know this is a old topic. But did a search and found.

I was told to never run my fridge because wind can blow in to the outside compartment and push the flame to ignite the insulation.

We have always plug camper on at home. Ran fridge for 5 days then loaded fridge 2 days before on lowest setting then shut off right before we left.

Always been afraid to catch camper in fire. Is this possible?

scottyb

I almost never take mine off "auto". It runs on LP anytime its not on Elec. It runs 24/7/365.

jimtoo

I know this is a old topic. But did a search and found.

I was told to never run my fridge because wind can blow in to the outside compartment and push the flame to ignite the insulation.

We have always plug camper on at home. Ran fridge for 5 days then loaded fridge 2 days before on lowest setting then shut off right before we left.

Always been afraid to catch camper in fire. Is this possible?

There was a voluntary recall on some of the Dometic Fridges. It was to install a shield around the propane area to prevent fires. You might check your model and serial number of your fridge on the Dometic site.

I personally never turn ours off and it has always been working when we arrive.

Jim M

danemayer

We also run ours while going down the road. No problems. You do need to be careful when pulling up to fuel pumps. Open flame and gas vapors are an explosive combination. Diesel less so, but if the pumps dispense gas as well as diesel, the guy on the other side of the pump could spill gas and create a real hazard if your frig is running.

Mac the Fire Guy recommends keeping refrigerators OFF when towing because of potential fire issues. But if I remember correctly, the examples he uses aren't about the flame igniting insulation or anything else as much as it's about propane lines getting damaged. I think all the cases he refers to may be on motorhomes.

wdk450

If you turn the propane off.... the fridge will try to relight and cause a bigger spark..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most of the modern refrigerator control boards will only trigger a LIMITED (4 times?) number of re-light tries before locking up. A power off reset is needed to then reset things. The gas lighting spark is only about 1/4 inch at most, a lot smaller than the open flame size.

"Mac the Fire Guy recommends keeping refrigerators OFF when towing because of potential fire issues. But if I remember correctly, the examples he uses aren't about the flame igniting insulation or anything else as much as it's about propane lines getting damaged. I think all the cases he refers to may be on motorhomes."

Mac's website has some alarming photos of RV fires, most caused by refrigerators. Do a You Tube search to see more. I actually saw a small class A with an ongoing refrigerator fire pull into a campgound I was staying at a couple of years ago. The local fire department responded an put the fire out. The physical damage was limited to the refrigerator area, BUT THE SMOKE DAMAGE WAS EXTENSIVE.

I feel I need my refrigerator ON during travel, especially in the hot California summers. I personally have taken the following RV refrigerator fire prevention measures: 1) Using a heavy-duty rubber hose and cable ties, I put extra protection over the flex propane hose from the frame to my kitchen slide to protect it from road debris or possible blown tire fragments (blown tire fragments puncturing the fuel tanks were the major cause of the French Concorde crash disaster). 2) I have installed a self-deploying Halon fire extinguisher in the refrigerator external compartment.

Here's the pics on the hose protection upgrade:
003.jpg 006.jpg 009.jpg