RV anti freeze, does freeze!

sengli

Well as a follow up to experiment last year. I put some pure -50 degree rated RV antifreeze out side in a jar again. I marked a line on the jar, so when it froze, I could tell if it expanded. Well its was 15 degrees last night here, and my antifreeze wasnt frozen solid, but it was like peanut butter. It didnt look like it expanded though. So just an FYI to everyone, it will freeze solid. My water pump didnt make through winter last year. This year I did use antifreeze to winterize again, but then I blew the antifreeze out my lines with 20 PSI of air as well.

Now last winter it got to -10 ambient quite often here in northern Indiana, and my test jar of anti-freeze was frozen solid as a hockey puck.

Attachments

• 15dgress.jpg
    15dgress.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
It turns to slush but won't freez solid. I had a big question about it my first time using it. I had a toilet out in a shop that I poured it in the bowl and tank. Found it one 20° day and it looked like a slushie in the toilet. I said something at work before the morning brief and was told that it will not freeze solid. I think anti-freeze is a little misleading.

Bohemian

The issue is not whether this anti-freeze freezes solid or not. The issue is that water expands when it freezes. It is the only liquid that expands when it freezes

As long as the antifreeze does not expand when it freezes, it is doing it's job.

wdk450

The issue is not whether this anti-freeze freezes solid or not. The issue is that water expands when it freezes. It is the only liquid that expands when it freezes

As long as the antifreeze does not expand when it freezes, it is doing it's job.

This sounds like a naming issue, named for convenience. Instead of calling it "Preventer of water expansion in closed piping that will break the pipes", they call it "Antifreeze". Also, the word is "ANTIfreeze", not "DOESNOTfreeze". Anything made cold enough will solidify (freeze).

traveler44

I posted a warning on here a couple of years ago about reading the ingredients on the bottle. Some antifreeze that claims to be for RVs is poison and some is not. It pays to read the bottle.