RV bunk loft modification

I am looking for advice or someone who can make a custom railing for an RV loft bunk area to provide a safe space for children to sleep and play.

I am attaching a few pics showing what the loft area looks like. The first 3 pictures depict what mine looks like. The last picture is taken from the manufacturer's web site and has a close up view of the loft area with a built in cabinet. My RV does not have this cabinet, although would be nice to have one.

What I had in mind was a sort of railing similar to a stairway railing that would start at the walls and continue all the way around, leaving an opening for loft access from the ladder. I'm a little unsure of the height and if It should go all the way to the ceiling or not. I am open to any suggestions or advice.

I have a 2012 Heartland Cyclone 3950 HD.
vp2480443_21_large.jpg
vp2480443_39_large.jpg
vp2480443_40_large.jpg
2011_CYHD_3950_16.jpg

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How about some type of rail that fits under the matress and up around the edges. Just an idea.

Been looking around and found this rail. It would fit nicely on the sides between the mattress edges, but what I have in mind is a vertical design and one that covers the whole area with the only opening at the ladder for loft access.
thumbs_bunk-bed-rails-custom-3.jpg
thumbs_bunk-bed-rails-custom-4.jpg

gpshemi

I'd build it myself, but I'm fairly handy too though. Seems like a good carpenter should be able to hook you up.

JasonShrout

I was thinking about chrome tubing from the base to the ceiling spaced about a foot apart around the curves. That'll keep the kiddos from rolling off and add some support for the roof as well.