RV Insurance - What are you using

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Since I am a rookie, I checked out many RV insurance plans and the best coverage I found for the money is American Modern that is sold by RV America and the Aon Insurance company gave me the best price incl a diminishing deductible, road svc, all the stuff mentioned above for $453 a year. Since I had a couple of small "crashes" on our maiden voyage I was totally pleased with their response and allowed me to go to Ricks Trailer Supply here in San Clemente CA. Be aware none of these coverages include comp and collision after hitting another vehicle. That goes on your truck coverage so I got dinged twice. Also Jim Beletti uses the same company and I am glad he let me know about it, so thanks Jim.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Insurance

I've gotten two quotes.
State Farm - $694 yearly ($500 deductible).
GMAC - $482 yearly ($500 deductible).

Think I know who we are gonna chose. Any experience here on the board with either company?

jpmorgan37

I've been using GMAC (Good Sam Club) for at least eight years now. I have nothing but good to say about them from handling claims to response to changes in policies. I cancelled State Farm when I went to GMAC because of cost difference and fulltimer coverage.

John

theharveys

We just switched to GMAC this year. When we bought our Landmark, our former insurance really raised our rates. We saved a BUNCH of money switching to GMAC.

Delaine and Lindy

We are using Explorer Rv used it when full timing also, and just renewed it for the 2009 Landmark, we have additional coverage and it was still the best price. You can also get coverage for your Truck there also. And it can be done on the phone. Must have a good credit rating. They are very efficent and Professional. GBY...

donabel

I had Foremost through RV America and just renewed directly with Foremost.
That move saved me almost $200.00 per year. Full time coverage and contents, liability etc. about $1000 annual now

sagefolk

We are with Erie Insurance on our car and truck and were told that when hooked up the 5th wheel is covered under the truck's comp coverage and that when parked its all covered under our home owners coverage. Is that right? At this time we are not full timers, still workin' to pay for everything. We traded a 98 Shasta Phoenix 5'ver that we bought in 97. We picked up our 39 ft. 2008 Big Horn in November 2007 but haven't taken her out yet and look forward to it. We don't think this one will be a POJ, lol! Anyway, I guess I'm confused about the insurance coverage. Can someone clarify? Please email me or send me a Private Message.

Thanks,
Alanna Sage

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
We have our Bighorn insurance through Progressive and the truck insured with Esurance. We recently had a booboo. We clipped a fence around the pool in the park, when we pulled in. The truck insurance covered the damage to the fence but would not cover the damage to the fifth wheel. We had to go to Progressive to cover that. When you are hooked up and moving the vehicle insurance will cover the damage done to property whether it is caused by the truck or the unit, but will not cover damage to the unit, and vice versa. The trailer insurance will not cover collision damage to any property that you damage, only whatever happens to the rig itself. Hope that is not too confusing. lol We are full timers and do not have a home so am not sure about the coverage from homeowner's insurance. I would definitely check with my agent before I headed out.
Hope this helps and I explained it ok.
Fred

2010augusta

Anyone have a "loss of use coverage" for the trailer that will pay for a hotel/apartment while rig trailer is in the shop or rendered useless?

What about coverage on the trucks, will they get you a rental that can tow the fifth-wheel if it is wrecked on the road?

My recent encounter with a pole, made me realize that my agent was not completely honest with us when discussing the limits and coverage of our Farmers policy and now we have to pay for a place to live while our "house" is in the "body shop."

lwmcguir

We have Farm Bureau, rate is good but coverage is limited to physical damage and we pick the total value we insure for. No depreciation, just the Total dollar value.
Same insurance on the truck but they dont offer a replacement truck, just a car/suv. So there may be a better deal out there. Rate is good for what we have.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Anyone have a "loss of use coverage" for the trailer that will pay for a hotel/apartment while rig trailer is in the shop or rendered useless?

What about coverage on the trucks, will they get you a rental that can tow the fifth-wheel if it is wrecked on the road?

My recent encounter with a pole, made me realize that my agent was not completely honest with us when discussing the limits and coverage of our Farmers policy and now we have to pay for a place to live while our "house" is in the "body shop."

Foremost Insurance. The ability to start/stop road hazard and collision coverage while parked/stored for long periods helps reduce some of the cost. It does not negate fire, theft, or any other "stationary" coverage. They are quick to pay claims, even if you don't exactly follow procedure. And claims can't be applied against my vehicle insurance rates.

rvn4fun

We have Progressive out of 57523 zipcode in South Dakota, but we do live in South Dakota sometimes. Just for South Dakota info from a above post. Sioux Falls is the largest city and Rapid City is the second largest in South Dakota. Both cities are small compared to cities in most states.

porthole

Retired
I am a BoatUS member and have my boat insured through BoatUS. That policy is underwritten by Newark Insurance.

I also have worked part time for a TowBoatUS tower for the past 17-18 years. We have had zero problems with any BoatUS insured boat. I cannot say the same for all the other "big" companies.

That said, since BoatUS offered RV insurance for their members I called them first (actually the only call).

My policy is underwritten Explorer RV Insurance and has the following coverage.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 371pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=494 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 212pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 10313" width=282><COL style="WIDTH: 111pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5412" width=148><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 371pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; mso-ignore: colspan" height=17 width=494 colSpan=3>NATIONAL INTERSTATE OF HAWAII - EXPLORER RV INSURANCE AGENCY</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" height=17></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl24></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" height=17></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl24></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl26></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" height=17>COLLISION</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl24>$500 Deductible</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl26 align=right x:num="73">73 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" height=17>COMPREHENSIVE</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl24>$500 Deductible</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl26 align=right x:num="194">194 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" height=17>DIMINISHING DED ENHANCED Comp ENHANCED</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl24>Comp and Coll Dim Ded</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl26 align=right x:num="16">16 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" height=17>EMERGENCY VAC EXPENSE</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl24>$750 Each Occurrence</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl26 align=right x:num="1">1 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" height=17>NJ GUARANTEE ASSOC. SCHRG</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl24></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl26 align=right x:num="3">3 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" height=17>REPLMT COST PERS EFF</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl25 x:num="5000">$5,000 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl26 align=right x:num="29">29 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" height=17>TOTAL LOSS REPLMT COST</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl24></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl26 align=right x:num="46">46 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" height=17>TOWING/ROADSIDE LABOR</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl24></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl26 align=right x:num="7">7 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl27 height=17>VACATION LIABILITY</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl28>$100,000 Limit</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl29 align=right x:num="10">10 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" height=17></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl24></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl26 align=right x:num="379" x:fmla="=SUM(C4:C12)">379 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I have new replacement cost coverage, and I had no problem adding the money spent for the Mor/Ryde suspension and disc brake upgrade. All I had to do was fax a copy of the invoce for the work.

MC9

Our rv insurance is a rider on our auto policy. It adds $72.00 for $250.00 deductible.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
We switched last month to Progressive and cut our premium in half to $542 a year for our 2008 Big Horn 3400RE. The largest cost is related to how much you say your RV was worth when new. I told them 55K, and they told me at 50K the premium would drop $40. This is with $500 deductible, and $250 for comprehensive. In the event of the RV being totaled they will buy a like model new or give me 55K whichever I prefer. My zip is 92673, as that does matter. All this includes a surcharge for an accident in 2008. You get a better price from Progressive by going through USAA, which is now open to everyone. It used to be only for officers that served in the military.
Good Sam which uses GMAC wanted over $600 for the same coverage.