Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes thanks Jim
I'll give them a call this week thanks
I'll ask them for the Jim B discount LOL
I need 3 electric locking and 2 manual latches

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jbeletti

RV Lock Slam Latches (Compartment Door) Installation Detail

As many here know, RV Lock has recently launched their Keyless Entry Compartment Handles.

I was sent a single Keyless handle and 2 Mechanical handles for evaluation and today I installed them all.

On my door-side storage compartment door (2 handles), I installed a Keyless handle and a Mechanical handle - both keyed the same. On my off-door-side storage compartment door (1 handle), I installed another Mechanical handle - also keyed the same as the door-side.

Below are my quick comments...

Pro
Easy install - about 10 minutes per handle
Sturdier feel than OEM handle
Easier lock cylinder to work than OEM cylinder (could hardly get OEM key in their cylinder)
Convenience of Wireless/Keyless locking/unlocking (of one handle per door)

Con
Fitment of handle - due to OEM handle hole variations, some trimming/adjustment was required
*Striker/plunger housing is a little thicker than the OEM handle. I may need to trim my rubber door gasket.

* This feedback has been given to RV Lock so they can improve the product further. I have also requested another Keyless compartment handle for the off-door-side storage compartment door.

Notes
I programmed my RV Lock Entrance Door FOB to the new Door-Side Keyless Compartment Handle. When I get a second Keyless Compartment Handle for the off-door-side compartment door, I'll add this to the Entrance Door FOB. In this manner, hitting the LOCK feature on the FOB each night will lock the entrance door and the storage doors.

I also used the same key code on the Keyless Compartment Handle as I used on the Entrance Door. This is for my convenience. Everyone will have their own personal use-case that will dictate how they program their FOBs and set their codes (same or different)

Pictures
Here's a link to my install pictures and below are a few of them.
IMG_7654.jpg IMG_7650.jpg IMG_7606.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Re: RV Lock Slam Latches (Compartment Door) Installation Detail

Awesome Jim, That's what I wanted to see. How long do you think I should wait ? do you think they'll make the changes or should I just get them and do it myself.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

As many here know, RV Lock has recently launched their Keyless Entry Compartment Handles.

I was sent a single Keyless handle and 2 Mechanical handles for evaluation and today I installed them all.

On my door-side storage compartment door (2 handles), I installed a Keyless handle and a Mechanical handle - both keyed the same. On my off-door-side storage compartment door (1 handle), I installed another Mechanical handle - also keyed the same as the door-side.

Pro
Easier lock cylinder to work than OEM cylinder (could hardly get OEM key in their cylinder)

Con
Fitment of handle - due to OEM handle hole variations, some trimming/adjustment was required
*Striker/plunger housing is a little thicker than the OEM handle. I may need to trim my rubber door gasket.

* This feedback has been given to RV Lock so they can improve the product further. I have also requested another Keyless compartment handle for the off-door-side storage compartment door.

Notes
I programmed my RV Lock Entrance Door FOB to the new Door-Side Keyless Compartment Handle. When I get a second Keyless Compartment Handle for the off-door-side compartment door, I'll add this to the Entrance Door FOB. In this manner, hitting the LOCK feature on the FOB each night will lock the entrance door and the storage doors.

I also used the same key code on the Keyless Compartment Handle as I used on the Entrance Door. This is for my convenience. Everyone will have their own personal use-case that will dictate how they program their FOBs and set their codes (same or different)

Pictures
View attachment 43557 View attachment 43558 View attachment 43559

Just to be clear, each handle is purchased independently, correct? You are not buying a pair, but a single handle?

To have a truly keyless system, you'd need the keyless handle (the one with the buttons) for every slam door latch? (in my case, 3)

jbeletti

Just to be clear, each handle is purchased independently, correct? You are not buying a pair, but a single handle?

To have a truly keyless system, you'd need the keyless handle (the one with the buttons) for every slam door latch? (in my case, 3)

Sorry Erika - I can't say as I did not buy these handles.

jbeletti

Awesome Jim, That's what I wanted to see. How long do you think I should wait ? do you think they'll make the changes or should I just get them and do it myself.

Jerrod - I think the only think to potentially wait for it fitment as it relates to thickness of the striker body where it contacts the weather striping. I plan to "figure mine out" when I get to the LA rally in a couple of days. By figuring it out, I'll likely be trimming the weather striping (gasket) for my compartment door. Some people may not be into that / willing to do it.

Should "you" wait? No - Jerrod doesn't wait. Like Jim, Jerrod is an early-adopter and "makes things work" :) I'd actually like to see someone like you try these so you can give RV Lock your installation feedback.

Bones

Pro

Con

Notes

Pictures
View attachment 43557 View attachment 43558 View attachment 43559
Jim,
I looked at your pictures. Are you sure it is the gasket keeping the door out and not the handle? The lock looks like it does not sit flush with you baggage compartment which would push your door out. This picture

IMG_7638-X2.jpg

jbeletti

Jim,
I looked at your pictures. Are you sure it is the gasket keeping the door out and not the handle? The lock looks like it does not sit flush with you baggage compartment which would push your door out. This picture

View attachment 43608

Dave - the RV Lock Compartment Handle striker housing is slightly thicker than the OEM handle. Or, to your point, the way it mounts does not allow it to be in the same exact position as the OEM. Either way, it makes the rear of the handle housing stick 1/8" further into the storage bay. I may try to make an adjustment tomorrow. RV Lock is also looking into this.

Bones

Dave - the RV Lock Compartment Handle striker housing is slightly thicker than the OEM handle. Or, to your point, the way it mounts does not allow it to be in the same exact position as the OEM. Either way, it makes the rear of the handle housing stick 1/8" further into the storage bay. I may try to make an adjustment tomorrow. RV Lock is also looking into this.

I still think with a bit of engineering you could move the cam lock area forward so it sits in the same position as the original. We would need to try it on another coach and see if it does the same thing. I think people want a pretty close to an exact fit with maybe minor adjustment. What area of the gasket are you proposing to trim so I understand please if you don't mind?