RV Park Recommendations Near/In Denver, CO

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Looking for recommendations for an RV Park in the Denver, CO area for approximately 5 days in mid-September. Cherry Creek State Park looks good, but has many extra fees. Buckley AFB is good, but difficult to get a reservation (very popular). Any others? RVParkReviews.com didn't give me any great reviews.

Tool958

We've stayed at the KOA West 3 times. It's near Central City, CO. and several of the other gold mine cities in that area. It's about 8600' ft. there. Very beautiful area and a lot of history in that area. It's about a half hour from Boulder and Denver. They have a really nice facility with full hookups. We are probably going to stay there in Sept. again this year. They are big rig friendly with pull thru and back in sites. Mostly back in sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boatto5er

We've stayed at the KOA West 3 times. It's near Central City, CO. and several of the other gold mine cities in that area. It's about 8600' ft. there. Very beautiful area and a lot of history in that area. It's about a half hour from Boulder and Denver. They have a really nice facility with full hookups. We are probably going to stay there in Sept. again this year. They are big rig friendly with pull thru and back in sites. Mostly back in sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!

rjr6150

Looking for recommendations for an RV Park in the Denver, CO area for approximately 5 days in mid-September. Cherry Creek State Park looks good, but has many extra fees. Buckley AFB is good, but difficult to get a reservation (very popular). Any others? RVParkReviews.com didn't give me any great reviews.

Check out Dakota Ridge in Golden.

dlw930

We've stayed at both Cherry Creek and Chatfield State Parks. They do have the daily park fee in addition to the RV site fee, but they have nice pull-through sites with 50A full hookups. Even with the entry fee, they're cheaper than anything else you'll find in the area and most of the sites are roomy, semi-private and have nice views, particularly at Chatfield. Choice depends on where you want to be in the Denver metro area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olcoon

If I remember correctly, unless you have a season pass for Colorado State Parks, every time you enter the park you have to pay their fee, even if you are camped there.

I can tell you one park NOT to camp at, unless you like trains, highway noise & a lot of kids running around. The Jellystone in Larkspur, just South of Castle Rock. Not that it's a terrible park, its right off I-25, with train tracks between the interstate, & the campground. They pass the CG numerous times a day & all night long. Plus I-25 seemed to have heavy traffic all the time, I had to sleep with ear plugs in. As the train passes the campground, it's going uphill, and has 100 cars loaded with coal from Gillette, WY, headed South, and they go SLOW, one day we were waiting for the train to go by so we could leave the CG, and a butterfly flew in front of the truck. The train was going so slow, that the butterfly was flying faster than the train was moving! We spent the summer work camping there so pretty well know how things are.

dlw930

If I remember correctly, unless you have a season pass for Colorado State Parks, every time you enter the park you have to pay their fee, even if you are camped there.

It's a daily fee, varying from $7 to $9, depending on the park. Since we have family in the area and are in the area two or three weeks a year, we just buy the annual pass that saves us a few dollars. It's also good for entering any CO state park.

Gary521

I personally like Chatfield. There are two entrances - the west entrance has a height restriction. There is also a KOA east of Denver in Strasburg but its a few miles away. If you choose, Chatfield, get your reservation early.

boatto5er

Thanks for all the suggestions. After checking availability for the dates we will be in the area, looks like we'll be staying at the KOA East in Strasbourg. A little drive into town, but not terrible.

Strasburg KOA is a nice place. You will have about an hour drive to get to Red Rocks but, depending on the time of day, shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Staring at the mountains all the way makes it easier

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

We'll be having a Colorado HOC Rally in September, only on the west side of the state.

Too bad you can't be in that area on your trip!

teasac69

We had a breakdown there and discovered the fairgrounds in Golden rent sites. Water & elec only on all asphalt but glad to find when we were stranded