RVing

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Bob:
How did that work? If I buy something out of state and register it in AZ, they charge me AZ sales tax....
Did you register it for one year in MT??? This is worth exploring for the savings!!

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
No property taxes here on our RV's either and my license fee is $76.75 a year and $30.00 of that is my specialty plate fee, so it is only $46.75 normally.

Rod

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Garry, we own property in MT. SO, when we buy a vehicle...we do an out of state delievery. We either go to NV stateline or Blythe. Some people do a LLC in MT. so they can do the same thing. I guess its legal to do it, but, We have a grant deed for dirt.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Garry, we own property in MT. SO, when we buy a vehicle...we do an out of state delievery. We either go to NV stateline or Blythe. Some people do a LLC in MT. so they can do the same thing. I guess its legal to do it, but, We have a grant deed for dirt.

The state of Colorado has been doing a crackdown on people who do an out-of-state purchase and registration . . . so buyer beware!

If you live in Colorado . . . you will get busted and charged (with mega-penalties) for this . . .

Doublegranch

BOB:
That is interesting but not sure it would work in AZ. I buy most of my vehicles and my RV in other states, but when they are registered as new in AZ, they collect current AZ sales tax.
Now If I could register the vehicle in another state for one year and then bring it into AZ, the sales tax would not apply. So is it possible to register the vehicle in MT or do you need a MT license as well?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
BOB:
That is interesting but not sure it would work in AZ. I buy most of my vehicles and my RV in other states, but when they are registered as new in AZ, they collect current AZ sales tax.
Now If I could register the vehicle in another state for one year and then bring it into AZ, the sales tax would not apply. So is it possible to register the vehicle in MT or do you need a MT license as well?

Colorado would catch you if you did this . . . as they look at ALL RV purchases from locals who purchase out of state.

They require a living and current residential address!

They also do this with car/truck purchases.

Saw a story on one of the local network TV stations about this very issue . . .

Colorado also requires a 60-day transfer of out-of-state license plate transfers . . . and big fines if you don't comply!

MTPockets

We purchased a new boat in 1999 that was in KY, we lived in IN at the time, but the boat was moored/used in MI. We decided to pay the IN sales tax which worked initially. Almost 18 months later we got a letter from the State of MI and in the end we had to pay the MI sales tax, which was double what we paid IN. Almost $15,000 extra to the State of MI.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
As ya'll keep talking about taxes and spending all that $$$$ for our pleasure, the "condo on wheels" keeps popping up. Condo as well as stick home are $$$$$$ getters.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I like your idea of going to work at an HOC rally In Michigan. I appreciate the thought and certainly could find LOTS for you to do.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Garry and John. You are missing the point. We OWN land in MT. Mt. does not care if you register your "whatever" you buy their. Yes, If I was stopped before I owned the vehicle for 1 year...there might be a problem. But, remember the license plates stay with you. So, I put the plates on the new vehicle and keep on truckin. BTW, all the registration is done over the phone BEFORE I take delivery and have THE new one in hand/glovebox before it ever hits Ca. We have done this 5 times now without any problems.

Doublegranch

Bob:
No I do understand, but that wouldn't cut it in AZ as they say where ever you reside the most is where you pay the sales tax...But again, it sure is worth looking into..
A small piece of dirt isn't that expensive! I appreciate you sharing with me as I will look into it further....especially when I upgrade to my Heartland 5th Wheel....
Thanks