?s about LP auto change over mechanism

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Same here with the exception that I installed inline gauges on both my bottles. This gives me a little more warning when she's gonna go dry!!

Gauges are similar to these only I got mine at Lowe's in the BBQ section.

Yep, same ones I have except I got them at Meijer's BBQ section. Had just enough room under the tank cover on the TT to put them on without modifying anything. It's a bit different with the mount in the 3670.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ok guys if your really going to check out the propane level you need to upgrade to one of these...

See through Tanks

BC

Have you? Too bad the ones sold in the US are only 20 lb. size. But, if you can live with 1/3 less propane capacity and be able to see just how much is really in there, it might be a good trade. At $180 for two tanks, it depends on how much your cold weather comfort is worth, I guess.

wyleyrabbit

I was googling around today and stumbled on a propane tank gauge with--get this--a remote level indicator with an alarm. Not even that expensive, either. I imagine it would be fairly trivial to put longer cables on and install the remote display somewhere inside the trailer.

The item is the GasWatch Model 212E, with information on Gaswatch.com. Picture is here:

TVL-212E.jpg

Has anyone used this item?

Chris

2010augusta

Hey I like that, it still can't show the exact level, but it would tell me when one tank is empty without have to go outside and look at the indicator. I forget to do that for sometime a couple weeks and then bam we are completely out.

jbeletti

I was googling around today and stumbled on a propane tank gauge with--get this--a remote level indicator with an alarm. Not even that expensive, either. I imagine it would be fairly trivial to put longer cables on and install the remote display somewhere inside the trailer.

The item is the GasWatch Model 212E, with information on Gaswatch.com.

Has anyone used this item?

Chris

Yes - forum member "rhwusa" from Abilene, TX has done this in his LM. He extended the wiring and installed 2 of them in the control panel cabinet in the kitchen. He's done a bunch of cool mods. Saw them at the 2009 spring rally in Houston.

wyleyrabbit

Jim,

Has "rhwusa" posted any pictures or anything about this mod? This REALLY sounds like one I'd like to do.

Chris

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Chris,

I have 2 of those exact models. Right now, I just stuck the readout on the wall insid ethe bottle locations. They come with velcro. They seem to work just fine and I plan to extend the wires and put them inside; I just wanted to verify they worked first. I've had them a few months, but it's been cold in Nebraska. That's one of the things on my list of things to do. I'd like to have something like that on my 100lb bottle, too. It has different connections than the smaller bottles.

StevenJ

Auto-changeover

The auto change-over valve, as I understand, will change from one tank to the other when that tank becomes empty. or when the LP pressure drops. If you check the red-green indiacator and it is red, then the tank that the valve handle is pointed to is empty but you shouldn't be out of gas, you will be running off the other tank. You then flip the handle to the other tank, the indiacator should turn green. You can then remove the empty tank and have it refilled.
Now, here's what happened in my case the first time I had to deal with this. We run out of gas one cold morning. I went out and the indiacator was red. I flipped the handle to the other tank, indiacator stayed red and no gas. As it turned out both tanks were empty, my auto-changeover had allowed both to be used evenly, so both tanks were empty. I called Heartland and they sent me a new auto-changeover, and the new one did the same thing. So now I keep the spare tank valve shut off until I run out, then I flip the handle and turn the tank on.
To see if yours is leaking remove the gas line from the tank your not using. Turn the tank on that the flip handle is pointed to, then put a little spit over the small hole on the gas line that you removed from the spare tank, if you have some gas coming out the vave is bad.