Sailun Tire Recall

RoadJunkie

I was just being a smart jazz as I knew we didn't have the tires involved. Not looking forward to a several hundred dollar tire bill this year, but it's the price we gotta pay to play.

I know the feeling, I just replaced my tires about a week ago...ouch.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We bought new Sailun tires in October of 2020, because we had a big winter trip planned for December 2020 and our tires were 5 years old. Well, COVID had other plans, and we didn’t take that trip. Put the tires on in January of 2021. Didn’t get many trips in, and our rescheduled trip for 2021 was coming up, when BAM, our tires were in the recall! I called Sailun and they said take it to any dealer, they will swap them out. All of the dealers were at least 60 miles from us or more. Some said they didn’t install trailer tires. Finally found one, a Midas service center in Grandbury, TX that said they could get them in a couple of days from their warehouse. A week later, we took our rig in on a Saturday morning, and they swapped all 5 tires, with tires manufactured in 2021. Our trip was between Christmas and New Years, and we had no issues. We were lucky, I’ve heard others say dealers couldn’t get them in stock and had to cancel or change plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL-JOE

I guess Heartland won't be sending anything out so I will crawl under my RV and check all the codes. I know the first one I checked was in the recall range. Hoping my search for a tire shop to make the swap won't be difficult.

pjones1969

Call 1-800-739-7696, I spoke with a lady there, letters are going out this week, she took my address to ensure I get notified but she couldn't confirm if I was already in the system, said the instructions would be to contact a distributor from the dealer locator at gosailun.com and they would do the swap. I told her I had a hard time finding Sailun in my area and had to order them online, she said in that case the dealer would replace them with a comparable replacement (uh, no thanks) I called a dealer here in Dallas and they can get the Sailuns in a few days.
Finally….. repeat Finally got the recall done today, dealer mentioned bone never called back once I contacted him to get the actual tires so I use the dealer locator on Sailuns website and discover that the local Midas with a nice big parking lot is on that list, alright, piece of cake, so I stop by and they can’t find them on their site but they offer me a comparable, I politely decline, I’m getting my Sailuns!, so he points me to NTB (National Tire and Battery), which Midas happens to be a subsidiary of ???????, anyway, contact the local store, they confirm they can get them so I stop by and talk with them, they can’t do the install because their lot is small and blah blah city ordinance blah blah so I ask them if I can park at the bank after they close at noon on Saturday and get a big nope vehicle has to be on our property blah blah city ordinance again blah blah, so they turn me on to another store with a bigger parking lot the next town over so I go talk to them, show them all of the recall paperwork, show them where Sailun is paying for everything, make sure they can handle the beast and he said he’d do it in the lot next door if he had to, lol, had to chuckle ok, I told him it may be a few weeks because the trailer is going to the shop for a few and he said no problem, so I find my kind of place, lets do this, he ordered the tires and said it would be a few days, get a call the next day that they have arrived, he recalls that I said it would be a few weeks so he re-assures me that these are my tires, they can’t sell them to anybody else, makes feel good. So I pick up the trailer and decide to swing by my kind of place and get this over with, approach the counter, not the same guy I delet with but helpful none the less, he says I can’t do it today, I don’t have anyone qualified here at the moment, omg, a tire shop without anyone qualified to change tires, I’m absolutely amazed, so he says he can get to it Monday because he’ll be there, lol, he’s here now I thought, weekdays are pretty much a no for me, gotta work you know, so we make arrangements to do it the following Saturday, no problem, he’ll be there. Work was slow today so I called him and he said they could get to it so I head on over, he’s there and I deal with the store manager who has absolutely no idea how to do a recall in the system, he keeps asking if it’s a warranty and who’s paying and even asked if I wanted to take the tires with me, no, I want them installed, so he calls his lifeline and they talk and got to verify date codes, take trade depth measurements, gets the VIN number and wants the mileage ???? WTH does that have to do with anything, this is a recall and they are not worn down……oh boy here we go again, but they have the tires so I’m holding strong, I’m getting these tires installed by golly, so after a lot of back and forth he says let’s get started, 6 off and 6 on pretty quick, go inside to see what they need from me, he shows me the paperwork and said they only authorized replacing 4 of the 6 so there is a $500 some odd balance remaining then he asked me where I live which is the next town over and said he’ll trust me and call me in a week if the other 2 weren’t authorized, omg, what an ordeal and complete BS these recalls are, your mileage may vary sorry for the run on but I was in the zone, lol btw, guy who said he had to be there didn’t do much at all

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Finally….. repeat Finally got the recall done today, dealer mentioned bone never called back once I contacted him to get the actual tires so I use the dealer locator on Sailuns website and discover that the local Midas with a nice big parking lot is on that list, alright, piece of cake, so I stop by and they can’t find them on their site but they offer me a comparable, I politely decline, I’m getting my Sailuns!, so he points me to NTB (National Tire and Battery), which Midas happens to be a subsidiary of ???????, anyway, contact the local store, they confirm they can get them so I stop by and talk with them, they can’t do the install because their lot is small and blah blah city ordinance blah blah so I ask them if I can park at the bank after they close at noon on Saturday and get a big nope vehicle has to be on our property blah blah city ordinance again blah blah, so they turn me on to another store with a bigger parking lot the next town over so I go talk to them, show them all of the recall paperwork, show them where Sailun is paying for everything, make sure they can handle the beast and he said he’d do it in the lot next door if he had to, lol, had to chuckle ok, I told him it may be a few weeks because the trailer is going to the shop for a few and he said no problem, so I find my kind of place, lets do this, he ordered the tires and said it would be a few days, get a call the next day that they have arrived, he recalls that I said it would be a few weeks so he re-assures me that these are my tires, they can’t sell them to anybody else, makes feel good. So I pick up the trailer and decide to swing by my kind of place and get this over with, approach the counter, not the same guy I delet with but helpful none the less, he says I can’t do it today, I don’t have anyone qualified here at the moment, omg, a tire shop without anyone qualified to change tires, I’m absolutely amazed, so he says he can get to it Monday because he’ll be there, lol, he’s here now I thought, weekdays are pretty much a no for me, gotta work you know, so we make arrangements to do it the following Saturday, no problem, he’ll be there. Work was slow today so I called him and he said they could get to it so I head on over, he’s there and I deal with the store manager who has absolutely no idea how to do a recall in the system, he keeps asking if it’s a warranty and who’s paying and even asked if I wanted to take the tires with me, no, I want them installed, so he calls his lifeline and they talk and got to verify date codes, take trade depth measurements, gets the VIN number and wants the mileage ???? WTH does that have to do with anything, this is a recall and they are not worn down……oh boy here we go again, but they have the tires so I’m holding strong, I’m getting these tires installed by golly, so after a lot of back and forth he says let’s get started, 6 off and 6 on pretty quick, go inside to see what they need from me, he shows me the paperwork and said they only authorized replacing 4 of the 6 so there is a $500 some odd balance remaining then he asked me where I live which is the next town over and said he’ll trust me and call me in a week if the other 2 weren’t authorized, omg, what an ordeal and complete BS these recalls are, your mileage may vary sorry for the run on but I was in the zone, lol btw, guy who said he had to be there didn’t do much at all

Wow that’s crap. Tires are RECALLED PER NHTSA, you own 6 of them, they replace 6 of them. I had 5. They replaced them all, even the spare that have never been on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk