San Diego- almost a Twinkie!

Mizmary

Pulled our new home out of the KOA here (9 month max stay) and headed to a temp place while we wait our two weeks before we can return. Lo and behold there's another cyclone here!!

TXTiger

I also live in San Diego but am on the road for the summer heading to the National Rally in Goshen. What model Cyclone do you have? What campground are you in for your 2 week stay? Campland on the Bay is nice but expensive but so is the KOA.

Mizmary

We are near Qualcomm. The KOA is worth the price from what we've seen in in the area. The staff is top notch, there is stuff for the kids to do, and the park is the cleanest in the county! ;-P

Gary521

I have not stayed in the KOA in San Diego. From the satellite, its looks close to the freeway. Do you get a lot of freeway noise here?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We were going to this SD KOA for several years when we were living in town and it is decent, but yes you can hear traffic noise. (As is the case with virtually every urban CG in Southern Ca.)
What stopped us from going however, was the price increase.
Over the last 6-8 years the price has doubled to $70+ per night, $500+ per week.
It's just not a $70 a night campground IMHO.

Trace

Last edited:

Mizmary

We pay monthly - so we don't pay as much as we would nightly. We have been to many of the campgrounds in the area - and though I may be biased I just love it. I guess the one in Chula Vista at the marina or camp land on the bay might be cheaper - though I doubt it - but they are the only two that even compare amenities-wise.

To be fair also my husband and I used to despise KOAs. Then we visited a few places that weren't so nice (a place in San Fran where we were so close we almost couldn't put our slides out without touching the neighbor - if our door had been a foot forward our steps would have overlapped. ) At least with KOA we know somewhat what we can expect.

scottyb

I have been to Campland on the Bay in mid Sep for the last 10 years. Not as a camper but for the boat ramp to launch Rescue boats for the Thunder Boat Regatta. It is a pretty nice looking place but also pretty congested at that time of year. I suppose it would be a good launching point for fishing, sightseeing, or Sea World, but definitely not for solitude.

TXTiger

We are near Qualcomm. The KOA is worth the price from what we've seen in in the area. The staff is top notch, there is stuff for the kids to do, and the park is the cleanest in the county! ;-P

I don't know of any RV parks near Qualcomm. What park are you in. Are you near Qualcomm stadium in Mission Valley or Qualcomm offices in Sorrento Valley?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
BTW, what's the Twinkie reference about? Or, maybe I shouldn't ask.... Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Mizmary

We yell "Twinkie!" When we see a vehicle that is the same as ours. It's some crazy morphed version of twin. ;-P

Mizmary

I was trying to avoid posting the actual place. But ha. I guess if you all want to come and get me in my sleep you know where I am.

I am not a fan. But we get "kicked" out of our posh space at the KOA every 9 months.

Mizmary

I'm curious where you live that you can see in here? We looked at the apartments up the hill but decided to just full time in the RV. We do love this area though!