Satellite Antenna and Receiver Issues (older gear)

Flooringit

So back in July I bought a cyclone 4000. Been a good rig had to work out a few bugs other owner didnt do.
I bought it with the intent to live in while building a shop house. It came with 3 directv receivers and a self pointing dish. I made all the calls and everyone said just take yours from home and use them or turn there on. So I did not try anything before moving in. Figured I was gonna turn it on dish would point and wahla I'm watching tv. Well not so fast mister. So I call with all the receivers numbers. They get turned on and I turn on dish it deploys and does a bunch of turning. Error code 771 so I'm thinking how it's self adjusting. Well after I start looking it all over it's old stuff. It got old receivers like 2005 and the dish is a datastorm with a motosat d3 which has been out of business for awhile. How the heck did a 2014 rv get stuff 8 years older in it? Anyone know? Old stock? I've spent a lot of time to figure out I have to reprogram the motosat I'm gonna try tomorrow. But man I Hate problems. I would've just bought new stuff and not dealt with all this. Now it's to late I'm moved In

jbeletti

Sounds like the previous owner got a good deal on some older satellite gear and used that in his unit.

The 771 DirecTV (DTV) error code usually means signal is not getting from the dish to the receiver. I suggest you confirm that there's a DTV LNB power supply (PSU) in the signal path. Could be anywhere.

The MotoSat dish motor itself is likely getting power from its controller. The DTV PSU needs to be somewhere in the signal path so DC power gets up to the dish to power the LNBs.

If the dish seems to be pointed correctly to you, could be that the PSU is in place - otherwise I'm not sure how the dish controller would know it's locked on.

In that case, I'd start looking at the signal path from the dish to the receiver.

carl.swoyer

So back in July I bought a cyclone 4000. Been a good rig had to work out a few bugs other owner didnt do.
I bought it with the intent to live in while building a shop house. It came with 3 directv receivers and a self pointing dish. I made all the calls and everyone said just take yours from home and use them or turn there on. So I did not try anything before moving in. Figured I was gonna turn it on dish would point and wahla I'm watching tv. Well not so fast mister. So I call with all the receivers numbers. They get turned on and I turn on dish it deploys and does a bunch of turning. Error code 771 so I'm thinking how it's self adjusting. Well after I start looking it all over it's old stuff. It got old receivers like 2005 and the dish is a datastorm with a motosat d3 which has been out of business for awhile. How the heck did a 2014 rv get stuff 8 years older in it? Anyone know? Old stock? I've spent a lot of time to figure out I have to reprogram the motosat I'm gonna try tomorrow. But man I Hate problems. I would've just bought new stuff and not dealt with all this. Now it's to late I'm moved In
Check out the DC power to the satilite. Mine was only 9 volts should be 12.6. so I changed my power cord and it works great.
You can also call Winegard tech support. They are great for over the phone trouble shooting.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Flooringit

I think I have it figured out. The guy I bought the rv from was 6 hours away. It was programmed to a different satellite. Now I have to go into the motosat and program it to Goto the satellite for this area. I hope that's it. It takes a laptop which I don't have. Got one now just got to hook up see if it works.

Flooringit

Check out the DC power to the satilite. Mine was only 9 volts should be 12.6. so I changed my power cord and it works great.
You can also call Winegard tech support. They are great for over the phone trouble shooting.

Are you saying check the power between the motosat d3 controller and the dish on the top of the rv? It's not a conventenial cord. I'd have no clue which wires to check. I do know how to use a voltmeter though

jbeletti

Are you saying check the power between the motosat d3 controller and the dish on the top of the rv? It's not a conventenial cord. I'd have no clue which wires to check. I do know how to use a voltmeter though

I think Carl means check the DC voltage on the coax where it connects to the LNB(s).

carl.swoyer

Check the power to the green and black cable. They should be between 12.6 and 18 volts. There should also be a power in somewhere on your dish confirm that you are getting at least 12.6 into the satilite. Just below the green and black wire is your power in disconnect it and check your DC power before the sw64. To check the green and black cable disconnect them from the switch 64 make sure that you are getting DC power coming out . Your ground goes onto the threads and the positive into the hole where the cable wire would go in.
This is how I identified my problem with my Wingard satilite (direct TV).
f28c183ca15e5d6d96eaf40e9c6f5e6e.jpg