Satellite Finders

mlpeloquin

We are Directv subscribers and want to take our home system with us. We use the Genie system with wireless client servers. We duplicated our power sources for the wireless Genie antenna, the DVR as well as the power inserter so transfer of the system would be easier from home to fifth wheel. Purchased a good tripod and slimline dish. I thought it would make dish pointing easier and purchased a "satellite finder" from amazon which turned out to be a cheap unit from Radio Shack. After watching videos and trying for an hour to get some kind of a signal with the unit, we finally resorted to one person watching the signal strength on TV and one person making dish movements until we finally got a signal. Knowing the elevation and direction for the approximate set point helped but it still took a while, and obviously two people. My question is what is the best make and model of satellite finder that people are using and having good luck with. Much appreciated!!!

Five or six years ago the Direct TV techs used to use a Birdog meter. They now have a special custom meter do to the Genie system. I purchased a used Birdog meter on E-Bay. The seller was Satellite Oasis. It was cheaper on E-Bay with free shipping than on their web site. http://www.satelliteoasis.com/satellite-meters/ A used meter runs around $270.00. They also now sell a Direct TV meter like the Direct TV techs have, but until they get more stock in they do not display the price. The Birdog is easy to use and will only detect the satellite signal you are looking for. A cheep meter will pick up the Dish 101 as well. The Dish signal is stronger and easier to find. I learned to find it first then move the dish to the left and down to get the Direct TV 101 with the cheep meter. It was a not fun so I purchased the Birdog meter with the recommendation of an older Direct TV service tech. He still had his old one and showed me how easy it was the use and find the signal. This will do fine to point the dish. It does require a separate power source to power the high def head. Talk to someone at Satellite Oasis. They know there stuff.

Power pass splitter. Make sure the signal only leg goes to the meter, otherwise you will burn the meter's front end out.
IMG_0982.JPG

Power injector.
IMG_0975.JPG

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Well,,, Thanks for the information about not moving the unit... I was almost ready to call and upgrade my receiver to the genie and get the wireless genies. But if you can't move it... I don't want it.

Jim M
I had an installer talk me out of the wireless genies. They're made for homes that have drywall and wood. Our RV has steel. Lots of steel. He really advised that we go with the wired and we've been very happy about it.

To get back to the original thread, we use the Dish Pointer App on an iPhone and it's terrific. A tip about the Genie, you need to make sure the Dolby Sound is off to be able to get the audible signal to sound as you're pointing.

Best of luck to you.

danemayer

I had an installer talk me out of the wireless genies. They're made for homes that have drywall and wood. Our RV has steel. Lots of steel. He really advised that we go with the wired and we've been very happy about it.

Bob,

Apart from the frame, I'm not sure you have any steel in your RV. The sidewalls and roof probably have aluminum framing - not sure what the spacing is. I'd be very surprised if you found any steel in the interior walls. I don't think there's much if any metal of any kind under the rear cap.

Also, my Genie and wireless mini-Genie at home communicate via WiFi. I'm pretty sure it's just a WiFi router with a Directv firmware load. There shouldn't be any problem with WiFi signals propagating in and around your RV. So I would expect a wireless mini-Genie to work fine inside or outside, as long as you don't take it too far away from the RV.

lynndiwagoner

There is absolutely no problem with moving the Genie and wireless mini genie around. I take mine to my lake house and when traveling I put them in the RV. The RV is about 50' from the house and I can take the wireless mini genie out there and watch TV with it while leaving the Genie in the house. My video bridge sits right on top of the Genie in my house with no problems. I have the lakehouse and RV pre-wired for the Genie and SWM setup. All components to do this are cheap on ebay. I use a Slimline 3 dish at the lakehouse and for the RV. For the RV I use the TV4RV tripod. IF you're real careful with the compass, and leveling you can get real close to the 101 satellite, which is all you need to receive all of the other satellites with the slimline 3 dish. For really quick setups I use the Orbital Tracker Light OTM 500 meter, which can be had for $149.95. The Genie and wireless mini genie setup is worthwhile.