Satellite Install

jhardin

Has anyone installed their own satellite traveler? I have a tailgater, but I am interested in a travler. If so questions are..
1. Where are the wires on roof located?
2. Did you use a base plate?
3. With 3 air conditions, where do you mount it?
4. If you have to mount away from prewire, what did you use to keep wire down? (Decor)
5. Any idea what labor would be to have it installed?

6.Nothing to do with satellite, what kind of caulking should I use on top window frame?
Thanks in advance ~Jerry

esscobra

I did my own -

look for blank cover in ceiling - wires " SHOULD " be there

yes I would def do the base plate again- more solid mounting- facilitates removing for moving to new unit and or forbid has to be sent for warranty- as well as provides place for roller besides roof!

every unit will be different- have to follow instructions and measure to find the spot with required clearances

I used dicor an etrnabond tape

I had enough - but I think that maybe you could use cable included with dish to extend cable if need be

I think CW quoted me like 500 to install unit on previous tt - which did not have pre-wire

Attachments

• 8693.jpg
    8693.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_8693.jpg
    IMG_8693.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8687.jpg
    IMG_8687.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 111

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
ef6987571f21cc891e546c11003e84a1.jpg

We don't have 3 ACs, but I think you can work to find the spot that meets the requirements of the clear space for the Dish.

As mentioned, there's a plate in the ceiling that should have the control wire and cables you need.

I looked into finding an extension for the control cable, and could not find the right connectors. (The cable comes with male ends, and the one in the roof is male also. They do not recommend splicing.)

We used clips to hold the cable down, then covered with Dicor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHerrick

Just did mine a while back. Very intimidating, making the initial hole. In your bedroom is a blank outlet plate in the ceiling. Take it off and you will be staring at a large block of styrofoam. Dig a hole. A few inches up you will find three rolls of wire. Two coaxes and a black control lead. The next part is hard. Take a drill with a long bit and drill straight up. Then go on the roof and find the hole and use it to center a 1 1/4 hole saw and cut out the rubber roof membrane before starting the drill. You might otherwise tear the membrane. Unless you are really going a long ways, the wires provided will work. Make sure you pull the wire nut through with the control wire. You will have to remove the installed control wire from the antenna, and install the wire from the roof. You will also need to install coax terminations on the wires from the roof.
I didn’t use a baseplate, but I did install the “landing strip” plate for the nose. The easiest thing to do is download the manual online, use their dimensions for the “clear” area required, trace it out on cardboard and take that to the roof and find a spot with the required clearances. Once identified, horse the antenna to the roof.
Position the satellite, change out the control wire, check sufficient cable run, then position the base, trace with a pencil and move it to the side. Apply a thick bead of self leveling caulk just inside your pencils mark. Carefully position the antenna and put in the 9 screws. Then coat the edges and screws with self leveling caulk. Use screw down wire clamps along the length of the wires and try to lay them so they aren’t perpendicular to the long axis of the trailer (prevent slapping) and then cover them with self leveling caulk. Push the excess wire back into the hole and put the cover over it and caulk that. Put the blank plate in place in the bedroom, hook up and plug in the power supply, make the two jumpers for the box on the side of the trailer, (. I used a couple inches of coax off the ends of the roof cables) and you are pretty much done. You might need to call Dish to alert them to the new equipment, I honestly don’t remember. Oh, and clean up the styrofoam mess in the bedroom before showing off your handy work to the wife!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk