Screw Heads shearing off

OilingRocks

I don't see this discussion anywhere.

On our 2017 BH, I've had a lot of the screws on the outside of our bedroom slide break off. Just wiping down the surface under the bedroom has broken off 6 or so heads so far. This seems excessive.

We also found 3 or 4 of the heads from one of the slide cable mounts beside the front head of the bed on the floor. This was recently repaired by a shop.

Are the outside bottom screws important? Why shear off?

Westwind

I'm not sure but having the same problem on my Bighorn I have replaced some only to find others, I feel that it's probably they were over torqued when installed. I also applied a dab of silicone prior to putting in the new screws. I'd use aluminum if you can find them since metal will rust after time, I have had to back many all over the FW to touch up the heads with white enamel because they were rusting.

Bogie

I'd use aluminum if you can find them since metal will rust after time, I have had to back many all over the FW to touch up the heads.

If the heads of the screws are snapping I think I would consider stainless steel. The sheer strength if aluminum is not that high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

Many moons ago when our big horn was new. I had the same issue on several of the slides, after a short period of time passed. The heads would just snap off of the screws in the slides sides. I contacted the factory and told them of the issue. They at first, thought it was a batch of bad screws. In the end, I really feel they were just over torqued, and partially broken on install... when put in with a screw gun. I went and bought some stainless replacements locally. after a while they stopped breaking off. I inspect the slides for broke off screw heads, pretty much every time I extend the slides now.

donr827

A different story on when my trailer was delivered. There were a lot of slightly loose screws. The dealer went around and tightened them by HAND.
Don

Bob.jr

We're you able to extract the broken screws and if so, how?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We're you able to extract the broken screws and if so, how?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Bob.jr, it seems that the usual procedure is to run a new screw right next to the old one.
The head of the new screw will cover up the busted screw shank.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Having bought some sheet metal screw assortments at Harbor Freight Tools, I would suspect cheap (lowest bidder) screws that don't have much strength.