Sealant pulling away from roof and edging

coltsdad

Texas-North Chapter Leaders-Retired
I was inspecting the roof this weekend and found the sealant pulling away from the roofing to the edging.
It looks like clear silicone instead of dicor. When I rubbed it flaked off. Have any of yall seen this? I have a busy weekend ahead cleaning off the old and resealing I guess :( 20171016_181822.jpg20171016_181817.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It for sure is not silicone.
It looks like you will need to remove the old and re-caulk with a clear sealant.

Peace
Dave

Bones

That looks like those are your gutters. You may want to screw them back down before you reseal them.

coltsdad

Yes this is along the gutters. Sorry the pictures are upside down I originally posted from my phone. I was surprised to see the sealant pulling away the whole length on both sides of the trailer as it was built on Dec. 7 2016.
I will fix it myself before I take it back to the incompetent dealer service center and let it sit for six or eight weeks. The sealant pulling up is clear and I'm trying to figure out what it is and will probably reseal it with non leveling dicor so it will adhere to the roofing material unless someone has a better suggestion to use.

I will call Heartland but not sure what they can do for me.

wdk450

Didn't we have a list posted once of all the Heartland recommended sealants? I did some site searching and didn't come up with the list. This might be a nice addition to the "Tools" "Manuals" section of the forum.

coltsdad

It is gel coat and graphics, I wish it was full paint being in the collision industry I really like the look them.

carl.swoyer

I was inspecting the roof this weekend and found the sealant pulling away from the roofing to the edging.
It looks like clear silicone instead of dicor. When I rubbed it flaked off. Have any of yall seen this? I have a busy weekend ahead cleaning off the old and resealing I guess :( View attachment 55093View attachment 55094
If it's silicone, remove it . Silicone as far as I know will eat at the roof membrane/ material. This is what I was told when I had my 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel at the Heartland factory.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dieseldog

I purchased a 2018 BH 3970 and that’s exactly what was on my roof, top of the slides and around the windows. That caulking whatever it was, flaked and pulled off with little effort. I redid the entire roof and slides with dicor. Probly could have taken it to the dealership but it’s done correctly and with the right material this time.

porthole

Retired
It does look like a non uv-stabilized silicone and you must remove all of what you see and can't see to get the Dicor sealant to adhere properly. Acetone is one product Dicor mentions on their roof repair section on the web.

coltsdad

Thanks for tips and repairs yall have done. I just found this on the Dicor website [FONT=&quot]– Repairing lap sealant or adding sealant: If, after a period or time, the lap sealant needs touched-up or additional seal is needed, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to eliminate all foreign materials from the surface of the seal, let set for at least 15 minutes and apply Dicor lap sealant (#501LS, #502LS, #551LS) directly over the existing seal – allowing the new sealant to touch the EPDM and/or accessory surface.
[/FONT]

In one section of their website it says do not use mineral spirits and the next paragraph it says to use it. I think I will physically remove all the old sealant then wipe down with denatured alcohol, I have had good results with it being a solvent and removing residue without harming the surfaces.
I have ordered four tubes of non sag Dicor sealant in white and tan to see which looks better. I have a makita caulking gun that is the bees knees when laying smooth even beads of sealant I will use. The forecast is for good weather this weekend and hope to get this taken care of before the cold and rain show up for the winter.

oldelmer1

Do you have any staples pulling out right above the weather stripping? If so, it might be time to remove the weather stripping and pull back the dicor and put some screws in before resealing the weather stripping.

I have lots of staples popping up.