Second Roof Top AC Unit

SPY9

Here is the problem. Fan/Light in living area in the 2009 - 3055 Bighorn is not wired for AC Unit. The only way I see to get 12 AWG copper wire and 12v wires to this area is to run the wires through the AC duct. What are the reasons, if any, for not doing this? Is there a code or regulation addressing this? I'm open to any other suggestions or solutions.

Garypowell

We had 2008 3055 and it was my understanding that the 110v wires were standard in the bedroom opening...you certainly know your own unit but you might want to double check your breaker box and see if you do have the breaker for bedroom unit.

If you do run the 110 you might be able to run it up the outside (maybe by ladder) and along the roof and in. Might not be pretty but it will only offend the squirles and helicopter pilots.

Usually you you would put in a unit that has controls on the unit so you will not need to run thermostat wires.

Now to answer your question. Since the majority of the ductwork is a styrofoam type product you would probably be OK running wires through them....but as previously stated I don't think it is your best solution.

Last edited:

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have to agree with Gary , if you take the shrouds off the bedroom vent you will find the ac wiring for 2nd ac.......Kenny

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think the OP is referring to adding an AC unit in the living area.
What say Spy9?

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

I must have been tired...and I was....missed the point of his question. Had our "estate sale" the last three days. Two weeks from yesterday is the closing and then we'll be on the road full time again.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I too am wondering why the OP wants to add another A/C in the living area. That would be a LOT OF work. His coach is pre wired for a second A/C in the BR.

Gaffer

It is a violation of the NEC (National Electric Code) to run non-plenum rated cables in an environmental air space.

SPY9

Dave:

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Yes, I mean the living area. The Bedroom is already too cold. Main A/C will not cool the living area. Have been doing wiring for the A/C in the living area. The ceiling fan wiring was not adequate. I figured the air duct is not metal and would work just fine. Used about seven feet of duct. All wiring done and everything seal. Cut roof tomorrow and install new A/C unit with thermostat. Looking forward to a cool rig.

Steve