Second Satellite line into the Living Room - Bighorn 3610

Prairiedog

Hey everyone!

It's been a great weekend watching College Football in the rig this weekend, but it has become even more evident that I need to better utilize my DirecTV box and get two sat lines running to my Living Room TV (so I can record one game and watch another). I don't use my incoming sat line to my Bedroom TV (I use a transmitter to send the signal to my BR...its just me and I don't need to pay for 2 boxes), but don't think running a line from there is smart or attractive. Therefore, I need your help.

I've read a ton of the previously posted threads but haven't seen one that addresses this issue directly. I've looked over the diagrams and such and I don't see an answer. I do use the off-air antenna jack in the LR for local stations (don't come in through satellite), so both jacks in the LR are occupied.

So - any ideas as to what to do? I know I can pull a line through the window, but I'd rather not do that. I've thought about poking a hole somewhere in the drivers side, back corner of the rig but I'm not sure where would be the best place (and I don't want to mess anything up). Also considered going under the rig in the same place but don't know whats below there.

This forum has been incredible, so before I start drilling I thought I'd ask the experts out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've met so many HL owners recently and all talk so highly about this website, so thank you in advance to all you frequent posters who make our lives better. You are truly appreciated.

All the best!
Rob
"The Prairiedog"

danemayer

Hi Rob,

You didn't mention the type of dish/receiver you're using. But if your DVR receiver is SWM capable (H24-500 for example), getting a SWM dish (or maybe just changing to a SWM LNB), along with a power inserter and SWM splitter will let your DVR use a single coax line to do what you want.

Before converting to SWM, I ran a pair of extra lines from the UDC, down through the basement and along the frame to the rear entertainment center on our Rushmore. The original plan was to drill a hole from underneath into the bottom right cabinet floor. Instead, I actually started by removing the outlet in the bottom right of the entertainment center and fishing a line down through the rear corner of the coroplast, using that to pull the coax. It took two of us about 5 hours and if I'd known about SWM, I would have converted to SWM instead of adding wire.

Prairiedog

Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply (as usual!!!). I'm using a Slimline HD dish and don't think the setup is SWM capable. Didn't think it was necessary at the time. Oops.

I had thought about going directly below the receiver cabinet (where the surround sound subwoofer is) and that would probably be the most direct route. However, i have no idea what is below it and am petrified about drilling back there without some assurance that I'm not going to create new problems.

I've had some folks talk about using a diplexer, but I don't think those split 2 sat signals...just a sat and an antenna signal. There must be something out there, though...just hadn't found it yet I guess.

So, does any of that help?

My thanks again,
Rob

danemayer

If you have a Slimline 3 dish and H24-500 DVR receiver, it's an easy conversion. The multiswitch LNB slides out of the arm and the new SWM LNB slides in. Hang the SWM splitter in the UDC and you can put the power inserter by the receiver. You can find the parts on Amazon.com or Ebay or other places. On the receiver, it's just a menu selection in Satellite Setup.

As to drilling through the floor in the rear-corner (off-door-side) by the sub-woofer, I asked about that while on a factory tour a couple of years ago and was told that there's nothing inside the flooring back there. I don't remember how accessible the flooring is in that back corner, but I might have taken the alternate approach because drilling looked problematic when I actually got ready to do the work.

I also tried some diplexer schemes, none of which worked with the Directv HD signal. A number of people had success with diplexers, but I think they were all using standard definition signals.

jbeletti

...I had thought about going directly below the receiver cabinet (where the surround sound subwoofer is) and that would probably be the most direct route. However, i have no idea what is below it and am petrified about drilling back there without some assurance that I'm not going to create new problems...

Rob - if you're talking about "drilling" a hole down through the slide roof floor, so long as you know where the drill bit will be coming out, I'd say "go for it". Recently, I drilled a 3/4" hole in my entertainment slide room floor, inside the back of a bottom cabinet. I drilled from the outside, up through the floor into the cabinet. As I was drilled a hole near other holes with wires in them, I had a reference point. I checked inside to be certain where I was going to come up into with a drill bit - was clear and safe. Drilled the hole, ran 3 CAT5e lines in it and sealed it up liberally with silicone rubber from outside and inside.

Prairiedog

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Jim - the entertainment "cabinet" in the 3610 isn't on the slide...its at the back right. That's why I'm a little leery of drilling straight down without knowing exactly whats under there.

Dave - SWM may very well be the answer. I'll have to check more on it, but I'd love not to have to drill through. Do I understand this right, though: 1) I replace the LNB with the SWM LNB and connect the coax to the power inserter in the UDC, 2) run a coax from the PI to the LR Sat In port in the UDC, 3) connect a coax from the LR Sat port to the 4 way splitter, and 4) connect two coax lines from the splitter to the DVR. Does that sound right?

Thanks again y'all. Greatly appreciate the assistance.

Rob

danemayer

Rob,

Mine installation has the Power Inserter in the entertainment center. One end goes to the receiver and the other end to the coax connector on the wall.

At the other end of that coax connection, in the UDC, I have a short jumper connected to position 1 (the power-thru position) on the splitter output side. The splitter input side goes to the satellite dish. Another jumper connects splitter output 2 to the UDC coax connector that goes to the bedroom. The others have terminating caps.

I'm sure this isn't the only possible configuration, but it works well for me.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rob, your almost correct.
If you are only going to use one receiver you will not need a splitter.
You will only need to run one coax to your DVR. Use the input marked something like Sat 1. Or however it may be labeled to indicate input 1.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Prairiedog

Dave, Dan, Everyone...

Well, I've said it before -- this site is AMAZING!!! Ordered the SWM off eBay a few days ago, came in today, hooked it up as we talked about (no splitter, as suggested) and it works like a champ. And, right before football Saturday...perfect!!! Cannot thank y'all enough for helping me out. Easiest thing in the world to do, and no drilling. Can't beat that with a stick.

I hope y'all have a great weekend. Thanks again!

Rob