self adjusting brakes

MC9

I've never been thrilled with my rv's brakes. So, I took advantage of Dexter's self adjusting brake special at the Gillette Rally. Spent the last two days installing same. (too hot in the afternoon) Found one unattached wire. No wonder my TBC kept going off and telling me I had a trailer wiring fault. Now for a test run before we head for Parry Sound, Canada for the Great Lakes Cruising Club summer rendezvous.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I like my self adjusters.
FYI, check the mfgrs. break in instructions before you get too carried away.
I believe there is a recommended start-up process to seat the brake shoes. (Even though I'm fairly sure the rv haulers don't follow the procedure)

Trace

Last edited:

MC9

Update. Went back and forth in my driveway while applying the manual trailer brake control in order to adjust the brakes a little that I had loosened to make the drum easier to put on. Then took it out on the Hiway for a couple of miles applying the brakes often. When I returned the brakes were working real well but, they were so hot you couldn't touch them. Hope I didn't wreck something. I always use a high melting point grease. Every drum was hot so they all seem to be working.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
You may or may not have a problem. Did you burnish in the new brake shoes? A low cost infrared thermometer can be a great tool to diagnose heat issues. Link

TedS

I wish I had taken advantage of the Gillette deal. It appears that I have a grease leak in one wheel which means brake shoes and magnet change, at the least.
Too hot to touch just means the temp is greater than about 160F. The brakes should be good to much higher temperatures. It also means the brakes are working. Good indication. Jack up the trailer and turn the wheels to make sure the brakes are not too tight and dragging from excess auto adjusting.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Update. Went back and forth in my driveway while applying the manual trailer brake control in order to adjust the brakes a little that I had loosened to make the drum easier to put on. Then took it out on the Hiway for a couple of miles applying the brakes often. When I returned the brakes were working real well but, they were so hot you couldn't touch them. Hope I didn't wreck something. I always use a high melting point grease. Every drum was hot so they all seem to be working.

Just a question, but did you over tighten your hub and bearing assembly when you went back together?

I've seen it before on stock trailers. Farmer pulls into the sale barn with wheels smoking and had just redid the wheel bearings.

MC9

The outer part of the hub was hot but the center bearing part was not so much. Have a good feeling about that. I have an infra red thermometer why didn't I use it just for grins. That's the trouble with being a mechanical contractor I have so many tools I forget I have them. Now at my age I buy more because I forgot where I put them.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I think that goes with the territory, I am a Mechanical Contractor too and like you probably have way to many tools. I forget sometimes what I have and where they are so of course I buy some new ones. I am sure the age has nothing to do with the forgetfulness.. Good luck with the brake issue..