new self adjusting brakes from Lippert

Bobby A

I would like to hear from anyone that has taken advantage of the Rally special and had the self adjusting brakes put on by Lippert, and would like to get there feedback on how they like them so far ?? I'm still considering having this done, I have never been 100% confident in my stopping ability, so I would like to hear from those that had it done recently and if they are happy with the results, I have the standard 7K axles and brakes currently. Thanks so much, Bobby A

jnbhobe

Bobby, If your going to spend $$$$$ go to DISC brakes. You can't believe the difference.

I had them put on 2 years ago after the rally and have had no problems.
I had the 8K axles with self adjusting brakes upgrade done at that time.
Seems to work fine.
If I had to do it over, I would have put that money into disc brakes.
No comparison in stopping power between the 2 systems.
I'm really surprised and disappointed in Heartland that they have never offered a disc brake option.
I would have gladly paid the extra money when I ordered my Big Country to have the disc brakes factory installed.
I really surprised myself when I brought my Big Country because I would not look at any unit that did not have disc brakes.
We liked the platinum color of the Big Country and the Mocha Glaze interior of our 3450TS.
So I was seduced by a pretty face.
That being said, if I was in the market today, lack of disc brakes would be a deal killer for me.
Heartland, if your reading this, be advised.
So Bobby A. spend the money now and have peace of mind.
Your comfort level while towing, knowing your rig will stop, is worth more than money

Hockster

======================================================================================================================================

Bobby A

Thanks for the quick reply back, I have an appointment with Lippert to have some other work done on the 18th, but you guys have me wondering, does Lippert offer the Disc Brakes ?? or is it just Dexter ??

jnbhobe

Mor-Ryde has a rally special for Disc brakes on now //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...EES-2012-Gillette-WY?highlight=rally+specials This was for Gillette but Goshen was the same deal.

Bobby A

Mor-Ryde has a rally special for Disc brakes on now //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...EES-2012-Gillette-WY?highlight=rally+specials This was for Gillette but Goshen was the same deal.

Thanks Jon, I would still like to hear from those that have had the self adjusting brakes installed and get the feedback on how they like them and do they provide up to 50% better stopping time as the flyer states.

wdk450

Bobby, If your going to spend $$$$$ go to DISC brakes. You can't believe the difference.

Ditto. The MorRyde Rep started to quote me $3000 for the Disk Brakes until I reminded him of the $2366 rally special. I have now realized that with all the money I have thrown at my suspension system, I should have gotten their Independent Suspension upgrade, too.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
BobbyA... While we have not yet done any real mountains yet and I don't have anything to compare it too, we did just drive from Michigan to the rally and then to home (Texas) with our new Bighorn and it stopped just fine. We ordered the 8k axle with the never adjust brakes (8.25X3.38) and when I spoke to the Dexter rep at the Rally, he said it was the best move I could have made and that I would love the braking ability. So far we are very happy.

wdk450

Does anyone know if the disk breaks are going to be an option in Temecula, CA? My 4100 pushes a lot when stoping.

Usually these rally specials are just at the National Rallies. You might still be able to order the kit at a discount from MorRyde and have it installed locally.

TXTiger

Does anyone know if the disk breaks are going to be an option in Temecula, CA? My 4100 pushes a lot when stoping.

As wdk450 said rally specials are usually only for the national rally. Giant RV is near Temecula and may be able to order direct at the rally special price for you or you could call Lippert direct and order them and have Giant do the install. I have the Dexter self adjusting breaks as standard equipment on my Cyclone. They work great but don't have anything to compare them to since this is my first trailer.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I bought the brakes at the rally but haven't installed them yet. I'm hoping to get new bearings prior to the install so I can do it all at once. I'm thinking the results will be fine but still don't like the idea of having to break in "burnish" the new shoes. I'll need to find a lonely road nearby to get that part done.
I'll have to pull a drum to get the bearing numbers first. I found a decent deal on evilbay LINK HERE for 4 complete sets of bearings & races for $112. I'm pretty sure they are the right bearings but will check mine before ordering. 1/2 the price of Dexters bearings at the rally. USA made bearings are hard to find.

mobilcastle

What was the cost of the brakes at the rally?
I bought the brakes at the rally but haven't installed them yet. I'm hoping to get new bearings prior to the install so I can do it all at once. I'm thinking the results will be fine but still don't like the idea of having to break in "burnish" the new shoes. I'll need to find a lonely road nearby to get that part done.
I'll have to pull a drum to get the bearing numbers first. I found a decent deal on evilbay LINK HERE for 4 complete sets of bearings & races for $112. I'm pretty sure they are the right bearings but will check mine before ordering. 1/2 the price of Dexters bearings at the rally. USA made bearings are hard to find.

Ray LeTourneau

Rally special was $35 per axle for the brakes. The bearing were about $55/wheel.
Since we had spent quite a bit of money during the rally and trip I decided to shop later for bearings. Dexter's bearings weren't USA made either and the Dexter rep indicated they were as good as any other bearings including USA made.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mobilcastle

That is a super good price. I would like to know how well you think they work after your install. Do you need to change the bearings or do you just want to? Standard bolt on backing plate? Thanks for the info-Steve

Ray LeTourneau

That is a super good price. I would like to know how well you think they work after your install. Do you need to change the bearings or do you just want to? Standard bolt on backing plate? Thanks for the info-Steve
The last time I serviced the bearings they were looking a little worn. No pitting or anything but just well used. At that time I just thought it would be good to have everything purchased for the next time I did bearings. I still had good linings on the brake shoes too but at 7 years old and only $65 a wheel for brakes and bearings, why not put on all new hardware.
I'll hopefully find time in the next couple of weeks to dig in and git er done.

Bobby A

Rally special was $35 per axle for the brakes. The bearing were about $55/wheel.
Since we had spent quite a bit of money during the rally and trip I decided to shop later for bearings. Dexter's bearings weren't USA made either and the Dexter rep indicated they were as good as any other bearings including USA made.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HI Ray, The $35.00 rally special was that Lippert ?? and was that the hole brake assembley ?? Was that for a 7K axle ?? Thanks Bobby A

Bobby A

BobbyA... While we have not yet done any real mountains yet and I don't have anything to compare it too, we did just drive from Michigan to the rally and then to home (Texas) with our new Bighorn and it stopped just fine. We ordered the 8k axle with the never adjust brakes (8.25X3.38) and when I spoke to the Dexter rep at the Rally, he said it was the best move I could have made and that I would love the braking ability. So far we are very happy.

Bret, Is that the standard size brake with the 8K axle or an upgrade ?? My axles are 7K and was wondering if I can get a bigger brake assy. instead of the standard size. I have no idea of whats standard or an upgrade size ?? Thanks, Bobby A

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Bobby... I believe that is the standard sized brake for that axle. My thought is that the size of the brakes are matched to the size of the axles that would normally be matched with a particular size of trailer (weight). But that being said, I believe that most parts used in the building of trailers basically meet the bare minimum requirements for their purpose. Good enough to get by, but not enough for my comfort level. Upgrading to 8k axles (& brakes and springs) for me gives me piece of mind knowing that the overkill will give me a bigger gap in what is needed and what will serve me better over a longer period of time. Plus I like the self adjusting feature on the brakes also!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ramdually, Temecula is a regional rally. We might have coaches from a local dealer on display...but national rallies are the only ones that have people from HL attending and doing work.