new self adjusting brakes from Lippert

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
HI Ray, The $35.00 rally special was that Lippert ?? and was that the hole brake assembley ?? Was that for a 7K axle ?? Thanks Bobby A

Bobby, No, it was Dexter and it was a complete brake assembly on a new backing plate and all hardware. Yes, it was for a 12" X 2" drum either 6K or 7K.

Bobby A

Bobby... I believe that is the standard sized brake for that axle. My thought is that the size of the brakes are matched to the size of the axles that would normally be matched with a particular size of trailer (weight). But that being said, I believe that most parts used in the building of trailers basically meet the bare minimum requirements for their purpose. Good enough to get by, but not enough for my comfort level. Upgrading to 8k axles (& brakes and springs) for me gives me piece of mind knowing that the overkill will give me a bigger gap in what is needed and what will serve me better over a longer period of time. Plus I like the self adjusting feature on the brakes also!
Thanks Bret, I'm glad you like the self adjusting brakes, the brochure from the rally claims they will improve stopping time up to 50% better, did you notice a 50% improvement ?? Just wondering ?? I have 7K axles and 8K springs, going to Lippert next week and gonna have them do something with the brakes while I'm there.

Bobby A

Bobby, No, it was Dexter and it was a complete brake assembly on a new backing plate and all hardware. Yes, it was for a 12" X 2" drum either 6K or 7K.

Ray,I thought you had Lippert axles ?? if so, I'm assuming its an easy R&R swap ?? Are they self adjusting?? That seems a GREAT price.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Thanks Bret, I'm glad you like the self adjusting brakes, the brochure from the rally claims they will improve stopping time up to 50% better, did you notice a 50% improvement ?? Just wondering ?? I have 7K axles and 8K springs, going to Lippert next week and gonna have them do something with the brakes while I'm there.

Didn't notice any improvement because I didn't have anything to compare it to, I ordered the trailer new with them. The trailer stops very good.
My previous rig was a 21 foot North Trail (6900 #s) and towed with a half ton Dodge. My current set up stops much much better!

Ray LeTourneau

Ray,I thought you had Lippert axles ?? if so, I'm assuming its an easy R&R swap ?? Are they self adjusting?? That seems a GREAT price.

I have MorRyde IS
The 6k and 7k spindles are the same. Where the backing plate bolts on is a universal pattern.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bobby A

Thank you all for the replys, I will post back probably tomorrow, I'm expecting a call from Lippert on pricing for the brakes, I still should be able to get the rally special on the self adjust brakes, can't afford the disc's.

mobilcastle

Let us know what you think when you install them. I am really interested in the amount of drag they set and when you spin them by hand do they go more than 2 revolutions to stop (free wheel).
I have MorRyde IS
The 6k and 7k spindles are the same. Where the backing plate bolts on is a universal pattern.

dbbls59

Rally special was $35 per axle for the brakes. The bearing were about $55/wheel.
Since we had spent quite a bit of money during the rally and trip I decided to shop later for bearings. Dexter's bearings weren't USA made either and the Dexter rep indicated they were as good as any other bearings including USA made.

The price was $35 per wheel, $70 per axle. Still about half price. My trailer came with the self adjusting brakes and they work fine. The advantage is that they are always adjusted the same and are up tight like they should be. Brake adjustment is something that always gets overlooked and when one does do it, they may not all be adjusted the same.

Ray LeTourneau

The price was $35 per wheel, $70 per axle. Still about half price. My trailer came with the self adjusting brakes and they work fine. The advantage is that they are always adjusted the same and are up tight like they should be. Brake adjustment is something that always gets overlooked and when one does do it, they may not all be adjusted the same.

One little mistake:eek:. Must have been one too many barley pops.:cool:

Bobby A

Heading over to Lippert now, I will post back this evening with the results. Thank you all for replying to this topic.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I didn't get the Dexter before they sold out but I did purchase the Lippert self adjusting back plat. Just put them on today and they seem to work much better than my original brakes. It took much longer for them to self adjust than I thought but after they did all is good. If I buy a new Heartland it will have disc.

Bobby A

I didn't get the Dexter before they sold out but I did purchase the Lippert self adjusting back plat. Just put them on today and they seem to work much better than my original brakes. It took much longer for them to self adjust than I thought but after they did all is good. If I buy a new Heartland it will have disc.

Well, discs are a lot more money than self adjusting from what I've been told. With that said, I just had my appointment with Lippert this morning, They did a great job, I gotta say, Lippert has been very good to me through out the last 4 years. They really are trying to shed the negative past and they have in my book. I had 4 new hub assy. and 4 self adj. breaks installed, plus an entry door installed. I am very satisfied with my visit today. One thing I was told about the self adj brakes that some of you may not know. First after the install, Jerry (the tech) drove with me around to make sure I was burnishing the breaks in correctly and he did say that self adj. breaks need one adjustment after about 300 miles, then your good to go after that. I will head back to Lippert on our way to Florida for that adjustment. I did notice a slight improvement with the new brakes but Jerry said it will get better. Safe travels everyone and God Bless.