self leveling

labrador1

Hydraulic self leveling system will not stay level. What do I look for to fix the problem. After unit goes down so far, we hear a tick tick tick sound.

jimtoo

Hi labrador1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon with some help for you.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

danemayer

Hydraulic self leveling system will not stay level. What do I look for to fix the problem. After unit goes down so far, we hear a tick tick tick sound.

Hi labrador1,

Can you explain a little further what your leveling system is doing. It sounds like you're saying that after you level the coach, one or more landing jacks don't hold their position and begin retracting, eventually making a ticking sound. But I'm not sure I'm have all that right. So describing the problem in more detail will help.

macjj

Check the voltage level. If less than 12 volts, the pump will not work. The "click" is usually indicative of low DC voltage. You might find a reset able relay near the battery switch. The reset button is on the side and really small. Just a thought

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

labrador1

Bighorn - leveling

My camper has self leveling on it. It will not stay level, cylinders retract to the point they start clicking. I can push the auto level and it will level itself again, but will not stay. 2014 Bighorn 3610RE purchased new this Feb. From Wichita RV.
They could not give me an answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

carl.swoyer

Do you have sufficient level of hydraulic fluid in the reservoir.?

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-205000 miles !

NHCelt

Sounds like a leak or bypass issue. Get ready for the look of rv technician confusion as they attempt to explain the magic that is hydraulics and the reason why they can't fix it. Ask me how I know.

Your best best bet is to check with Lippert tech support and bring their tech documents to a GOOD rv mechanic.

HornedToad

If you have a leak... You'll know it!!!

9d815ba1fb7c2810549132cda293fc7b.jpg

This is the second leak I've had on this off door rear jack. The first was repaired under warranty??? This jack is the first to go up/down and must have the most pressure from the motor. I'm wondering if nine months leveled up while full timing stationary weakened the line causing it to rupture???

I'm not going to take it back to an RV dealer, I have a friend the rebuilds directional drilling motors and he is going to help me replace it with a braided line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADDED COMMENT: Surprisingly even with the leak... The trailer leveled up and held for the weekend and didn't bleed any ATF onto the ground.

Last edited:
Re: Bighorn - leveling

Its a PIA but you can check each jack to see which one is by passing. Thats what causes it to creep up.

sjandbj

I'm wondering if nine months leveled up while full timing stationary weakened the line causing it to rupture???

This is a good point. I leave my rig leveled when in storage so the pressure in the lines is constant. I am sure the over time the pressure would cause any small flaw in the line to open up. I like the idea of braid lines but the expense to do that to all the lines in the rig would be a bit too much for me.
Steve

macjj

All my black lies leaked, however my lines were kinked excessively. I replaced all the Ret lines and repositioned - no leaks in 6+ months. Our thinking is the simplex lines Lippert was using just not up yo standards, added the fact that the tech installed as per Lippert instructions, he was not a qualified hydraulic installer. Thus far the red/orange lines are ok, although we repositioned them as well, maybe a better quality simplex line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HornedToad

This is the second leak I've had on this off door rear jack. The first was repaired under warranty??? This jack is the first to go up/down and must have the most pressure from the motor. I'm wondering if nine months leveled up while full timing stationary weakened the line causing it to rupture???

I'm not going to take it back to an RV dealer, I have a friend the rebuilds directional drilling motors and he is going to help me replace it with a braided line.

ADDED COMMENT: Surprisingly even with the leak... The trailer leveled up and held for the weekend and didn't bleed any ATF onto the ground.

On several trips since June the trailer has leveled up even with the leak. Just after this post I was passed by a Bridgestone Hose Power mobile hydraulic repair truck and wrote down their number. I finally got them out yesterday and they replaced the hose on site in an hour for a $75 trip/labor charge and $45 to make a custom hose.

c02b8f41718262046f2dfd6256225203.jpg
882747bef232e343a35d4660155d4e29.jpg

That beats hauling / leaving it with a dealer, hands down!!!

ADDED COMMENT: I thought I should clarify one of my comments in case anyone is considering using the mobile hydraulic hose repair vendor. I finally called them after 3 months on a Friday and they came out first thing Monday morning. You can check their website hosepower.com to find a vendor near you.

I made a comment to the repair technician that it probably sprung a leak because it was cheap hose...
He corrected me and told me the hydraulic line hoses on my level up were actually a high quality type of hose and that's what he replaced it with.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
On several trips since June the trailer has leveled up even with the leak. Just after this post I was passed by a Bridgestone Hose Power mobile hydraulic repair truck and wrote down their number. I finally got them out yesterday and they replaced the hose on site in an hour for a $75 trip/labor charge and $45 to make a custom hose.

c02b8f41718262046f2dfd6256225203.jpg
882747bef232e343a35d4660155d4e29.jpg

That beats hauling / leaving it with a dealer, hands down!!!

ADDED COMMENT: I thought I should clarify one of my comments in case anyone is considering using the mobile hydraulic hose repair vendor. I finally called them after 3 months on a Friday and they came out first thing Monday morning. You can check their website horsepower.com to find a vendor near you.

Edit the website, it says HORSE power?