SERIOUS Blowout!!! (requesting alternate tire recommendations)

I learned the hard way myself with the Towmax on my 310 Road Warrior. Two blowouts 7 miles apart. I final put Goodyear G614 on today based on the research I did. I truly believe it is worth the expense. The stock 16" rims are rated for 110PSI. The stock tire size is 235/80R16. The G614 come as 235/85R16, they fit my TT with no clearance issues. UDATE, I also wanted to add because of this forum,I purchased through Simpletire.com, I ordered on a Friday, and they arrived on the following Tuesday. Simpletire had the cheapest price as well. Thank you to those who recommended them.

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi gregory.ingram,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I am sure you mean Goodyear G 614's. The 114's are a 17.5" rim size.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

wdk450

I guess you already made your tire choice. I didn't get on the thread soon enough. I am a fan of Les Schwab Tires in the West/Northwest. They have centers in literally every small town in those states, support the local charities, and stand behind any product they sell. Their TV ads talk about how they continually go "above and beyond" in customer service. Back when Heartland Owners were having problems with suspension springs sagging and breaking, I remember the story of a Heartland Owner who limped into Tillamook, Oregon with a broken spring and a chained up axle. The Les Schwab store there set them up with water and electricity so they didn't have to go to a hotel, worked with Heartland on getting the parts priority shipped, and quickly made the needed repairs. I also like the fact that Les Schwab Tires stocks a set of ST285 85R LRG tires at every store.

KEN5150

Don't buy anything but a Maxxis 8008 ST tire. I had some Power kings that did over $9k worth of damage to my RV. they were only 3 years old when I replaced them with the Maxxis.

Michaeloh

Curious how much clearance have between tires now. You should have lost about an inch moving up to the 235/85, if that is what you did.

Dclaws54

I had two blowmax's blow on my trip from central Texas to Ohio last month. after the second one I replaced all four with Hercules LT G rated at a price of just under $900. Have put 2000+ miles on them since with no problems. I also have a claim with Dynamic Tire for the damage to my rig.
2013 Cyclone 3110

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KEN5150

I had two blowmax's blow on my trip from central Texas to Ohio last month. after the second one I replaced all four with Hercules LT G rated at a price of just under $900. Have put 2000+ miles on them since with no problems. I also have a claim with Dynamic Tire for the damage to my rig.
2013 Cyclone 3110

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blowmax (dynmaic tire) just turned down my claim for over $9,000 worth of damage to my RV. I'm p****. this was only a 3 year old tire with under 3k miles on it. they claim it was underinflated which was a lie since it was still aired up to 70 psi when we stopped. the tire had separated and the one right behind it was about to do the same thing. please let me know how your claim goes.

thanks, ken

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Blowmax (dynmaic tire) just turned down my claim for over $9,000 worth of damage to my RV. I'm p****. this was only a 3 year old tire with under 3k miles on it. they claim it was underinflated which was a lie since it was still aired up to 70 psi when we stopped. the tire had separated and the one right behind it was about to do the same thing. please let me know how your claim goes.

thanks, ken

That is one big reason why we stay with GoodYear. The problems we have had (2 tread separations) that caused damage to our rig and GoodYear paid the claim (rig damage and a new tire) both times. I will stay with a company that stands behind their product.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Jim,
We have Goodyear Marathons on our BigHorn, and had a blowout then another one went flat on the other side 20 hrs later in our driveway. Any advice on how to get some "help" with these 2 yr old, less than 2,000 miles, pieces of garbage? Thanks. Cookie advised us to fill out a complaint form and see what happens with that.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Call GoodYear customer service and open up a claim. They will email you the forms and they will need the tire carcus sent back to them. Any GoodYear dealer can handle that. Also take photos of the damage and get repair estimates.

Jim.Allison

I have come to believe that inflation pressure is the secret to keeping tires on your rig. 80 psi "Blomax" or any other ST, cannot take the riggers of the application. It takes the G114, G614 or equivalent (Sailun). Some LTs can do it on triples and lighter tandems. STs IMHO are hardly usable even in utility trailer applications. All the RV manufacturers need to do, is ask the customer what his intent is, and offer the tire option. I would have bought the option had I known there was an issue.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have come to believe that inflation pressure is the secret to keeping tires on your rig. 80 psi "Blowmax" or any other ST, cannot take the riggers of the application. STs IMHO are hardly usable even in utility trailer applications.

I don't know if I would go that far . . .

There are some good ST tires out there . . . but the RV makers just don't want to spend the money to put them on most RV's!

GOTTOYS

I don't know if I would go that far . . .

There are some good ST tires out there . . . but the RV makers just don't want to spend the money to put them on most RV's!
And which ST tires would those be?? The only decent ST tires I am aware of are the Maxxis which are made in South Korea. All the others including the Goodyear Marathon are cheap Chinese junk....

JohnD

And which ST tires would those be?? The only decent ST tires I am aware of are the Maxxis which are made in South Korea. All the others including the Goodyear Marathon are cheap Chinese junk....

I think that saying ALL ST tires are junk would be like saying ALL Heartland products are junk.

Jim.Allison

I think that saying ALL ST tires are junk would be like saying ALL Heartland products are junk.

Actually I did not say that any ST tires were junk. I said that inflation pressures were the key to preventing blowouts. But as far as junk is concerned, I would go so far as to indict Blowmax.

JohnD

Actually I did not say that any ST tires were junk. I said that inflation pressures were the key to preventing blowouts. But as far as junk is concerned, I would go so far as to indict Blowmax.

Oh . . . I'm not doubting you there.

Even though I never had a blow out with my BlowMax's . . . I know how bad they are!

Got a set of five of them complete with wheels for sale if you want them!

I'm selling the wheels . . . and throwing in the BlowMaxes for free!

Jim.Allison

Oh . . . I'm not doubting you there.

Even though I never had a blow out with my BlowMax's . . . I know how bad they are!

Got a set of five of them complete with wheels for sale if you want them!

I'm selling the wheels . . . and throwing in the BlowMaxes for free!

Sorry I thought you were quoting me. LOL.

I did, and got $800 for them. 4 aluminum alloy and one steel all mounted with Blowmax. And no I did not have any compunction selling them. I installed G114, and I like them, but really, I think a good LT or the G614 would have done the job for a lot less money. But I do get a great feeling with my TPMS and G114s when traveling.

I try to stay out of the fray when it comes to the tire brand issue (except to warn against the Blowmax). So I restrict my comments to G614 or equivalent (Sailun) as my recommendation. The owners of Sailun are happy with them, the Michelin, and maxxis owners are happy, and that is a good enough recommendation. It is enough that we have brought enough attention to this matter over the past few years that people are changing the Blowmax out BEFORE they get into trouble. And that is good.

BTW, there is something to be said for inflating to load charts and not ever having to worry about a couple of pounds from temp and altitude changes. Got mine at 100 psi and I don't care if they are 98 psi or 102 psi when I start out. All I care about is what the TPMS says when traveling.