SERIOUS Blowout!!! (requesting alternate tire recommendations)

choprpilot76

So we just got back from a 12 day adventure at June Lake near Mammoth. On our way there a week and a half ago I was about 18 miles east of Tonopah, NV on Highway 6 and heard a loud "pop". I new immediately what it had to be and when I checked both rear view mirrors I saw some pieces of the RV sticking out on the passenger side. When we pulled over this is what the damage was. First, I am not sure what happened, bad tire or picked up road hazards. The RV is a 2014 Cyclone 4100 and these are the original tires from the factory and hadn't even hit 6k miles on them yet. I find it hard to believe I picked up a nail or something because you would think it would have hit the forward tire first, but I agree it wouldn't be impossible for the forward tire to throw it back in just the right angle to pop the center tire. The tire pressure was checked before I left and was just shy of 80psi "cold" pressure. I am almost convinced it is a tire defect. The entire tire tread blew of the same as an 18 wheelers re-treads do, it came off as one continuous tread strip. As a side note, which the pictures do not show well, is the rear axles tire is rounded over across the tread, like a motorcycles tires, not a flat surface like the other tires, like normal tires should be. The forward tire tread is slightly rounded over, but my bigger concern is a "dimple" that runs all the way along the side wall at one area from rim to tread. Am I wrong or are these both very bad signs that those two tires will go soon as well? Oddly, all three other tires on the drivers side look fine and have "flat" tread surfaces. It is stored in shade, without the sun beating down on one side. Can you all recommend some BETTER tires? I have the ones from the factory, the Power King Towmax. Thanks.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1873.jpg
    IMG_1873.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_1874.jpg
    IMG_1874.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_1875.jpg
    IMG_1875.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_1877.jpg
    IMG_1877.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 576
Last edited by a moderator:

buddyboy

You have Towmax tires. Do a search on this forum about them. We put Goodyear G614s on ours. Pricey, yep, but piece of mind is priceless.

Martha

OEFVET

Best tires for your Cyclone are Goodyear G114 (H rated). They are probably the most expensive and would require you to change your wheels to 17.5 but I did it just two weeks ago to avoid what happened to you. Best money and piece of mind I spent. I got them at the Goshen Heartland Owners Club rally from Trailer Tires and Wheels in Edon, OH.

ILH

I put Goodyear G614's on my Toyhauler. You'll have to verify it, but I would guess that your current rims are able to handle the 110psi requirement for the G614s. The Power Kings are only 80psi. The max rating is stamped into the back of the rim.

I know it's expensive to switch over all tires, but you'll never rest easy knowing the bombs are on your rig. Replace them and enjoy the drive. By the way, you're now a member of a growing elite club. ;)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here are a couple of things to consider. 1. Many have had issues with the Towmax (many call them Blowmax) tires. They are made in China. 2. The center tire is a common tire to go on a coach with 3 axles as the center tire will be subject to much more twisting as it acts as a pivot point when turning hard. 3. The Towmax does not have as stiff a sidewall as a Goodyear G614 (G rated tire). And a stilff sidewall is needed on a tire where the sidewall twists. 4. Not sure but many 3 axle trailers have E rated tires. Check yours to see if they are E rated (80 psi). If so you differently would want to upgrade to at least a G rated tire (110 psi). If you decide to upgrade to a G rated tire check your rims to see if they will handle 110 psi. It should be stamped on the backside. If not you will have to upgrade your rims If your tires are E rated and you want a better quality E rated tire check out the Michelin tires. We ran them on our Alfa Gold 3 axle 5er with out any issues. If you do upgrade to the G rated look at the Goodyear G614. They will hold more weight. Whatever you decide get rid of the Towmax ASAP. They made look good but they don't last. I am really surprised you got as many miles out of them.

choprpilot76

Thanks to all so far for the input. I will check the rim pressure limit. I don't know if Heartland change rims but mine are the factory rims, 2014 model, so I would imagine they didn't but two identical looking rims, aech with different rating. Anyhow, I am defintely upgrading, I just need to make a decision, but this is an expense I didn't have a budget for yet, so this sucks. Thank you though for the suggestions, you gave me a great place to start researching.

choprpilot76

Does anyone have any feedback or knowledge about the Goodyear Marathon Trailer Tires? They come in 235/80R16 "E" Load Rating.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
From what I have read here, the Marathon's are not much better than the BlowMax tires.

donr827

The Michelin Ribs are excellent E rated tires. Being a 3 axel trailer is probably why they put E rated tires on the trailer at the factory. You could have the trailer weighed to see the weight on each tire at a few places.
Don

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our Alfa Gold 5th wheel (40 feet triple axle) weighed in at 16000. It had E rated tires and I ran Michelin ATS MS tires on it for 5 years without any problems. Ran the same tires on the truck. I would recommend them if you are running E rated tires. Just a word though on tight turns. If you do any tight turns (mostly when backing) watch the center tire and you will see how it mostly just pivots and does not turn. This twisting is very hard on a tire. Rotate the tires regularly to help even the wear is also important.

oscar

Welcome to the "Blowmax Club"

Oh man I feel your pain. Had the same happen to the right rear, fortunately the damage was contained to some bent aluminum skirting on the underside which I was able to fix, and some re-bracing of the plastic "fender"..... Your pics look like you are in for quite a bit more repair.

And there are many, many of us. Read around on this forum and you will discover that the 10 ply E-rated Blowmax purports to hold 3520 pounds at 80 psi. Yeah right. The capabilities of this tire are IMHO severely overrated and there is a plethora of circumstantial evidence that says I'm right. Look at every tire carefully and you'll see they ALL have deformities.

The Sendel wheels have lots of stamps on the inside, but they look like mine and I suspect they're the same. (Don't know the model number off the top of my head) Good news is they are rated to 110 psi and plenty of pounds (3750-ish) to take the 14 ply G614's which, btw, are just under an inch less in diameter than the Blowmaxes which gives you a little more spacing. When my right rear went oval it rubbed on the right center and took it out with it.

When you pick up a G614 you'll discover that it weighs more than the Blowmax mounted on the wheel. And, there's no deformities, none. This is MUCH more tire than the Blowmax.

The G614's will bring you to a REAL 3750# per tire.

Many of us here contend these units should never have shipped with these tires. Heartland disagreed at the time. Ironically they now ship them with G rated tires. Go figure.

If you want to go all the way, as said above, you replace wheels AND tires. Go to a 17.5" wheel (same bolt pattern) with an H-rated tire on it. Now your well into the 4000# range. But it is eve more money.

MSRP on the G614 is in the high 300's. I paid a lot less. These folks www.trailertiresandwheels.com know our issue and have worked with many of us. I paid $325 plus $40 shipping for 6. (On a pallet you pick it up at the freight dock) They also sell wheel/tire packages. Ask for the "Goshen Special".

oscar

No one has mentioned Saliun Tires.
Thats the brand I'm looking at for replacement

They are a reasonable alternative, especially cost wise, and have a decent reputation.... but watch out..... they are a LARGER OD than the Blowmaxes. On most tandems there's enough room. On the tri-axles it's tight enough as it is. My right rear and center were less than two inches apart new, and again, when the right rear went oval it was rubbing the center. For this reason I did not go with the Sailuns, although I would have loved to have saved the money.

choprpilot76

I just found the G614's at simpletire.com for $309.99 each plus $20.51 shipping each, the lowest by far I've found so far.

oscar

That would work out to $1983.... not bad. I paid $325 plus $40 shipping for all 6 at trailertiresandwheels.com which works out to $1990, about the same except I had to go pick them up at the freight dock.

They (TTAW.com) have been very good to the Heartland community. They are a pleasure to work with.

porthole

Retired
Does anyone have any feedback or knowledge about the Goodyear Marathon Trailer Tires? They come in 235/80R16 "E" Load Rating.

Yes, my opinion is, if your rims are rated at 110 get the Goodyear G614's.
If your rims are rated 80psi, you need rims anyway, get the 17.5" Goodyear G-114's

Sucks you have to buy tires already for a common, well known problem.

One of the problems with these tires is that the trailer owner only knows he has a flat and damage. He has no idea of the terror instilled on the guy behind or alongside of him on a motorcycle. Or the new hazard laid down that we refer to as road alligators.

Once you experience that you will have a new respect for these junk tires.

Grey Ghost

Junk tires is correct, I blew two before changing out to Michelin Light Truck tires on my rig. No problems since I did that. I did some research and found that Light Truck tires work just great on overs so I went with Michelin's. Blowmax is (powering towmax) tires are no longer being placed on Heartland products, or so I've heard. Good move Heartland. Anyhow, do your research prior to investing a small mint on new tires!!

choprpilot76

Ok, so I found a great deal locally this morning at an actual Goodyear Auto Service Center and I ran down there with all 6 of my trailer tires and had them throw the G614's on. I got all 6 tires, with tax, mounted and balanced, total price $2174. The best deal I could online, delivered without mounting and balancing was less than a $200 difference, mounting and balancing would have been more, so all in all I think I got a great deal and got the convenience of getting it done today rather than waiting until the shipped, got delivered, and then having to take them to get mounted and balanced. I agree, you all were right, I already have so much more piece of mind. Just seeing and feeling these tires you can tell they are of a MUCH higher quality and way more solid and sturdy. Sucked because I didn't have this expense in my budget right now, but I definitely will breath easier now when I drive this thing around, we're heading to Yellowstone in a couple of weeks, having these will be nice. Thanks again you all, I appreciate the help. Any other "known" Heartland nightmares like this I should know about BEFORE they happen?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes one of your other tires has broken belts inside, that causes the edge of the side wall where the beginnings of the tread is to stretch, and causing the "bulge" on the tread. Do not drive on those tires!!

That same bulge is what I discovered on one of ours just before a trip, while the trailer was sitting out front of our house! Note the same tire after removed from rim: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435720701.882380.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435720757.521920.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk