Service and where to put the Toys?

Porkchop

We will be coming back from the track when we get the Cyclone serviced. We don't have a place to put the bikes and I'm just not sure how safe it is to keep it in the garage of the Cyclone while its getting serviced.

What do you guy/gals think?

We could load the bikes in the bed and bring it home, it will just make the long day even longer. BUT if you don't think it's safe, I won't leave it in the garage. I'm just wondering what most people do.

Thanks!
Irene

Vtxkid

Irene, I take it your talking about motorcycles or ATV's in your garage. If you have good locks on the rear door and your the keeper of the key, I wouldn't have a problem with it personally as long as they don't need to do any work in your garage...

Porkchop

Yup. Motorcycles. We should have good lock by then but the sliding patio door doesn't really have a lock. We are planning on having locks on the bikes as well while it's in the garage.

On another note. What do people prefer to lock their rear door with? I'm online looking but I'm overwhelmed by the choices. And any suggestions on a good website to buy from?

Thanks!
Irene

Vtxkid

Irene, for your application, I would recommend the disc lock. Public storage has them. Storge unit locations use them and I have seen them on other toy haulers. They are hard to access to cut because of the way they are made.
Also, you had mentioned that you don't have a lock on your sliding glass door. I would look at it again and make sure. Mine has one!

danemayer

Irene, you didn't mention what's being serviced or whether the dealer has given you any timeframe for completion. Many times, dealer service takes a lot longer than expected; especially this time of year because they're selling lots of units and owners are getting their units out of winter storage. So yours might sit around for days or weeks before they even look at it. The dealer may tell you their lot is secure, but they will almost certainly not take responsibility if something happens to the bikes while the rig is on their lot. The risk is all yours. More time on the lot = greater risk.

Porkchop

Bikes aren't street legal. Track only. Well the dealer has no idea how ling it will take. theyvsay it depends on if they need to order a part. I'm going to give them a time line if when I need to use it again and see what happens.

rick_debbie_gallant

Definition of a lock: "A cheap (or expensive) device that will keep an honest person honest."

When we had a sailboat the only boats that got broke into at are yacht club were the ones that were locked. Not only did they lose stuff but they had to repair the damage as well. Just sayin.:cool:

Vtxkid

Irene, leaving the motorcycles locked up in the rear is no different then leaving the flat screen tv's in the RV. Unless the dealer/ service department states that they won't be responsible for your rig while it is in their hands, then I wouldn't take it there to begin with. And I agree that they need to give you a completion date which would be reasonable to you.

Porkchop

Thanks. Its all a learning process.

Do you guys know if insurance covers the toys? Should I increase the coverage for the "personal" stuff?

Martin's motorcycle is track only and he's not planning on registering it... but I think motorcycle insurance doesn't work unless its registered? Anyone know?

Thanks again, sorry about deviating from the original post.

Irene

danemayer

This is really a question best answered by your Insurance Company, while you hold the written policy in your hand and ask them to point you to the relevant sections (what they say over the phone won't overturn the written policy).

Our Geico RV insurance has the standard declarations which limits coverage for Personal Effects to $5000. I think you'd have to specifically declare the cycles and pay extra for additional coverage.

In addition, the policy has the following language:
Theft must be a result of forcible entry of which there is evidence by visible marks of entry made by tools,
electricity, explosives, chemicals, or other physical damage; .,, • . --,. •,.-.
(c) Each loss must be reported promptly to police, or appropriate civil authority. u.,.... ... , •„•- ; ':
your personal effects must be:
(a) Located inside your covered auto,
(b) At the insured location; or
(c) In a secured storage location which is owned by you or reserved for your exclusive use; ,
If a toss to your personal effects occurs anywhere other than (a), (b), or (c) above, our limit of liability is 25%..of thejimit
shown on the Declarations for Replacement Cost Personal Effects.

I take this to mean 1) they will not pay unless there are visible signs of forced entry. If the dealer left things unlocked, or if a lock was cut off and removed, there wouldn't be visible evidence. 2) Dealer's lot is not a covered location, reducing coverage to 25% of the limit declared.