Sewage smell when running furnace

hoefler

Re: Sewage smell

You may have a vent pipe of drain pipe not completely sealed to the holding tank. When I first got our Landmark, I was rooting around in the basement looking around just trying to educate myself on my new toy, I found the vent from the black tank broken off at the tank. After an afternoon of work I had it repaired.

brianharrison

Re: Sewage smell

I second hoefler thoughts. Furnace circulation air pulls from basement (with make up from inside coach through grated vent on wall somewhere).

Brian

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
When furnace runs, thoughts? Rigs first winter!

If you have a suburban propane heater the air is recycling through the living area by being pulled in by the furnace and then being forced up through the ducts. If you have a blackwater leak and the furnace is close to the tank ( most likely is) then this could be the source of the smell. I would also check the venting on the blackwater tank. Needs to vent up to the roof but if is broken or has become unattached then that also could be the source of the smell. Click on picture below to see airflow.

Suburban-heater-diagram.jpg

pegmikef

Update, we are smelling propane, read when tanks get low, the fumes come out a bit

Yeah, I learned that from using the stove. We use an old camp fire coffee pot and you can always tell when the propane is low because we get that propane smell. For some reason it is always stronger in the morning when the tank is low and we are making/heating the coffee.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Yeah, I learned that from using the stove. We use an old camp fire coffee pot and you can always tell when the propane is low because we get that propane smell. For some reason it is always stronger in the morning when the tank is low and we are making/heating the coffee.

X2. I use a 20# bottle on the household range/oven at our cabin and always know when it's time to switch bottles by the hint of propane in the air when using the stove!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk