Sewer Flush Not Taking Water

agpopp

Just as listed above, when I hook to back-flush, I get no flow anywhere. Is this device actually in the thank, or is the line simply flowing water down the 3" inlet of the black tank?
Any help appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There should be a back-flow preventer somewhere in your coach.
It could be bad and in need of replacement. Follow the water line to locate it.
Did the system ever work for you?
Was this a used unit? The previous owner may have modified the system.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

HI agpopp,

The back-flush is a spray nozzle that is in the end of the waste tank. When you hook up and turn the water on you may not hear any thing, but should be getting water spraying in the tank to help flush out the waste that settles in the tank. You might let the tank drain until nothing else is coming out and then turn on the water to the flush and you should see more water coming out if you have a clear elbow or connector in your sewer hose. DO NOT EVER TURN ON THE FLUSH AND LEAVE IT FOR ANY REASON. It's surprising how fast a tank can fill and run over inside.

If you are not getting any water through to the tank then you may have a stuck back flow check valve that is in the line somewhere.

Let us know what you find.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi agpopp,

First, you need to be careful since you just bought this trailer and don't know the condition of the black tank. You could be filling it with water even if nothing is coming out of the sewer outlet.

The black tank flush connection typically goes up to an anti-siphon valve that's located higher than the black tank and is probably behind the shower wall. Then a line goes down to the tank where is connects to a spray head.

If you're running water into the black tank flush, but nothing is coming out of the sewer outlet, you could have a blockage in the black tank. Or you might have a broken anti-siphon valve, in which case the water will pour into the underbelly and eventually start leaking out.

If you have a twist-on clear adapter on the end of the sewer outlet, you can monitor what's coming out.

agpopp

Thanks for the fast replies gentlemen- first, I did write a short reply to Dave but I'm not sure where it went so let me write a fresh one.
I flip campers on the side- wife and I finally bought one with some things wring with it that didn't require me to do any delam work. This is a 1 owner, and we got it 2 weeks ago- we already did a shotgun shakedown trip to Florida last week. I tried using the flush and all I got was resistance in the hose and some spray at the inlet of the flush hookup. I did not see anything obvious in any of the visible plumbing or behind any access panels I removed looking. I guess it could be in a wall panel somewhere. The reason I want to get this fixed is while camping, I learned the cable actuated black valve was not, and most likely had not been closing completely for some time, so I know there is a bunch of forgotten party favors in that tank. I dropped the valve and replaced the seals today, so I'm ready to get at this! If I find the valve I'll eliminate it while I'm working on it here at home until I can order a new one.
You guys are fast!
Andrew

- - - Updated - - -

To add, We are keeping this 5th wheel not flipping it.
I bought my first clear elbow the other day because I've never had one with a flush before.
To be clear, no water is getting INTO the tank, so Ill start looking for a check valve.
Thanks!

jimtoo

If your shower has an access port just below the knobs you might unscrew/remove it and look in that area for an extra couple of lines that have a plastic u-shape fitting in them. The backflush breaker valve must be mounted or installed higher than any other water fitting to meet the RVIA standards or something like that.

Jim M

wrgrs50s

On my previous rig I ran into this problem and it turned out being that the sprayer head in the tank was stopped up. It only had about 6 small holes. I took a tiny drill bit and made the holes a little larger and it actually worked better than new.

Mine was the tornado brand sprayer and it had 3 screws with silicone where it was mounted on the back side of the tank. Easy to remove and replace once you get access to it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
On the older units 2006,07,08 the backflow valve was in the wall behind the toilet. You may be able to access it by removing the fire extinguisher mount and finding the line behind there. Some have actually had to cut a hole in the wall to access it, back in the day. Good luck.

agpopp

On the older units 2006,07,08 the backflow valve was in the wall behind the toilet. You may be able to access it by removing the fire extinguisher mount and finding the line behind there. Some have actually had to cut a hole in the wall to access it, back in the day. Good luck.

This. I remember following the line for the flush from the sideof the rig up under the toilet room floor. I bet it is in the wall. Oh my.

Roller4tan

Years ago I had the same issue. I used the outside shower to use hot water into the flush line. Eventually it broke thru whatever was in the flush head.

agpopp

Definitely in the wall after inspecting today- I think I can take down the shelf, pull the corner molding and then pull the wall panel down. On the other side is no room as there is a pocket door then the kitchen pantry cabinet.
I'll keep you posted.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
So far our black tank flush seems to work good.

Guess maybe I should toss my old tank flush wand in the basement in case my tank flush stops working right.

Retyred

I have a 2006 Grand Canyon, as you enter the front door there is a cupboard on the right. In the back of cupboard there is a removable panel that allows access to the flush pipes. Good Luck

wrgrs50s

I was unaware that the backflow valve could stop up? I thought that they just leak water when they go bad.

agpopp

I would read this thread especially looking at my posts #8 and #12:
https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...n-Broken-Vacuum-Breaker-on-Black-Tank-Flusher

BTW, this forum has a pretty good "advanced search" capability (link at top right corner of any forum page) for finding previous threads on your current problem. An added benefit is you don't have to wait for another forum member to reply to your inquiry.

Thanks for the reply, although I am pretty well versed in search tools, my original question was about the location and method of operation. I did get to take the interior wall down today and found the valve- installed backwards. It is a factory brass unit and it and the associated check valve are working fine. I bench tested it and replaced it flowing in the correct direction after blowing through both lines and both took air easily so I am going to assume the spray head is clean. Too cold here today to start on the tank flush, but I think I am going to add Rid-X and let it soak for a day or 2 when I can. Here is a pic for anyone who comes after me and needs to find the valve in a similar year and model. Valve was behind the toilet and I used a nylon pry tool set and a small hook tool to pull the brads through the paneling.
"Tanks" a lot for all the replies
[URL="http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/agpopp/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160117_121621_zpsqwmllyma.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j381/agpopp/Mobile%20Uploads/20160117_121621_zpsqwmllyma.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL"]http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/agpopp/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160117_121621_zpsqwmllyma.jpg.html] [/URL]

wdk450

Thanks for the reply, although I am pretty well versed in search tools, my original question was about the location and method of operation. I did get to take the interior wall down today and found the valve- installed backwards. It is a factory brass unit and it and the associated check valve are working fine. I bench tested it and replaced it flowing in the correct direction after blowing through both lines and both took air easily so I am going to assume the spray head is clean. Too cold here today to start on the tank flush, but I think I am going to add Rid-X and let it soak for a day or 2 when I can. Here is a pic for anyone who comes after me and needs to find the valve in a similar year and model. Valve was behind the toilet and I used a nylon pry tool set and a small hook tool to pull the brads through the paneling.
"Tanks" a lot for all the replies
[URL="http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/agpopp/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160117_121621_zpsqwmllyma.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j381/agpopp/Mobile%20Uploads/20160117_121621_zpsqwmllyma.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL"]http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/agpopp/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160117_121621_zpsqwmllyma.jpg.html] [/URL]

Regarding the "advanced search" suggestion, sometimes I post helpful information germane to the question at hand but also meant to inform all of the newer owner "looky loos" just reading posts. I have also mentioned all of the appliances and system manuals under the "tools" tab at the top of each forum page for the same purpose. I never know how much the individual reader knows, and try to help as many readers as possible trying not to step on any tailfeathers.

agpopp

Bill, no feathers out of place here- simply stating the nature of my initial post. Thanks for the info.

guyc66

I know you said that you already checked the visible plumbing, but your symptoms are the exact same as what I experienced when we first got our Grand Canyon and it turned out to be a kink in the black tank flush hose just a few feet back before it enters the tank. I had to cut off a large plastic zip-tie that was causing the kink, straighten the hose out, and secure in place with a few other strategically placed zip-ties to keep it from kinking again. Once I did this it worked like new! Thought I would share this in the event you hadn't checked the entire length of flush hose yet.....

agpopp

60 and sunny here today, so I decided to tackle the tank flush. Added some septic treatment, filled the tank and let it sit. Drained through my new clear elbow and watched a good it of debris go by. I did it a few times and it ran crystal clear, so my next move is to fill it 1/3 of the way, add more septic treatment and then drive to FLA in March to see what else might be in there. I even remembered to winterize the line at the end. So, like I've read a few times on this forum since joining- once you put the valve in the right way, its works as expected.
Thanks for all of the ideas.