Shackle wearing through

rick_debbie_gallant

Has anyone had any problems with their spring shackles wearing because of misaligned springs. We are on our way to Texas for the winter and are now in Kokomo, Indiana.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351529485.908095.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351529519.019264.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351529676.809846.jpg

rick_debbie_gallant

Dana, thank you for your promptness. The top leaf spring is not in alighment with the bottom leaf spring. Picture a stack of popcycle sticks of say seven and the top stick is twisted in its alignment with the bottom stick. in other words they are not stacked straight on top of one another. Am I making any sense.

Gizzy

Not sure about misaligned springs, but I think now would be a good time to go ahead and install wet bolts with new shackles.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
There is side to side movement in the spring pack by loosening the 4 u-bolt nuts. I'd use a 3lb-6lb hammer to knock the spring to proper alignment then tighten the u-bolts to specs. The spring pack has a center alignment pin.

lwmcguir

There is side to side movement in the spring pack by loosening the 4 u-bolt nuts. I'd use a 3lb-6lb hammer to knock the spring to proper alignment then tighten the u-bolts to specs. The spring pack has a center alignment pin.
Exactly the right way to do it.

dbbls59

The first thing I would do is to get the spring lined up. It will just wear through new shackles.

rick_debbie_gallant

Alignment is already done. That was the easy part. Thinking bout Having never fail bushings installed with heavier shackles and the correct align thing installed.

ParkIt

Not sure about misaligned springs, but I think now would be a good time to go ahead and install wet bolts with new shackles.
This is like an aftermarket upgrade and depends on how much road use you are doing and what kind of roads (washboard or plain ol' rutted). Worth it if you spend a lot of time OTR.

This is what we have to do on our Jeep from time to time depending on off road use with a lift kit. Even the best springs, shackles and U bolts can move but tapping them back into place won't hurt it.

danemayer

One of my shackles broke last summer just as I was getting home from Wyoming and Colorado. Although we don't see too many posts here about broken shackles, I've heard that it's a pretty common failure - maybe that's why we see so many recommendations for wet bolts. Dexter had already given me an upgrade EZ-Flex kit at the Gillette Rally, so it was just what I needed.

The Correct Track is pricey - $300 parts, $100 laser alignment, $360 labor at CW, plus tax. If you install it yourself, you might wait for CW to put the laser alignment on sale for $50.

Be aware that the aftermarket kit raises the trailer 2". The factory installed Correct Track does not.

ParkIt

One of my shackles broke last summer just as I was getting home from Wyoming and Colorado. Although we don't see too many posts here about broken shackles, I've heard that it's a pretty common failure - maybe that's why we see so many recommendations for wet bolts. Dexter had already given me an upgrade EZ-Flex kit at the Gillette Rally, so it was just what I needed.

The Correct Track is pricey - $300 parts, $100 laser alignment, $360 labor at CW, plus tax. If you install it yourself, you might wait for CW to put the laser alignment on sale for $50.

Be aware that the aftermarket kit raises the trailer 2". The factory installed Correct Track does not.
Didn't know it would raise it 2" but we could use it, would be easier to get it on/off the hitch. Checking the shackles, U bolts, axles and springs is just something I do on a regular basis no matter what is on top of it, they move and will wear to a breaking point. I wonder if poly bushings would help with road wear?

lwmcguir

The light weight shackles supplied with the standard springs aren't designed to last much more than 6-8K miles. Any type that you can grease will last much longer. The bolts aren't supposed to turn in the shackles but many that are improperly installed do and that is why they wear/break through.