Sharkbite Good or Bad

smoothie

I am considering systematically replacing all my water connections with Sharkbite that I can. Not because I am having any problems but I would like to avoid any future issues. Would this be a good or bad idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi smoothie,

I think you'll be ok on PEX connections. Some of your plumbing may be reinforced vinyl. I'd leave the vinyl connections alone if they're working. I don't think press-on Sharkbite fittings are intended for vinyl hoses.

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am considering systematically replacing all my water connections with Sharkbite that I can. Not because I am having any problems but I would like to avoid any future issues. Would this be a good or bad idea?
A Sharkbite fitting is a good emergency repair fitting to keep if you don't carry a few pex fittings and a pex crimp tool. Its basically designed to fit pex, copper, cpvc or cts plastic. I work at Ferguson and we sell them to weekend warriors who dont have tools or time or money for a plumber. You can cut your material square and slide fit the SB fitting on. They do sell horseshoe clips to disassemble also. If you can, use pex with the proper crimp clamps...very proven performance to 300psi. In reality, if you haven't had a problem yet you shouldn't unless you get into a fridged climate or a rubbing scenario. I do carry a few for emergency along with a pex cutter. SB also makes valves

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

RoadJunkie

My philosophy? If there is a water junction that isn’t leaking...don’t touch it! Also, PEX tools are simply an operational cost of owning an RV. I do have one Sharkbite connection from adding a check valve on the water pump and space limitations prevented operating the long-handled crimping tool.

sengli

If it aint broke, dont fix it!

I learned pretty early in the RV game, you need to get some PEX fittings ( 1/2") and the tools for it. The initial investment isnt that big. And at any hardware, lowes, home depot, or menards you can get the fitting pretty cheap. Its easy to do the install of these components for a fix. And when you are on the road, and need them its awesome to be able to take of business right on the spot. Never used sharkbite fittings, but they are more expensive than just standard PEX. I leave part of my basement walls out, so I can see all of the plumbing runs at all times.

I carry multiples of the various fittings, as well some lengths of blue and red tubing. A water leak can pop up whenever and you dont want to it let go.

wdk450

I would agree that if it ain't broke don't fix it. I am an advocate for Sharkbite fittings because they are easily available at Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware locations. I find the PEX crimping tool is an expensive thing to have on hand for that rare PEX fitting leak, and making a quality crimp can be a little tricky. The Sharkbite fittings are a no brainer. Cut the PEX tubing off nearly square (the Sharkbite fittings are a little forgiving in this), and slide the fitting on to the end of the tubing. Done.

In fact, in my 10 years with this rig, I have not had a crimped pure PEX fitting leak. I DID have the plastic black tank flusher fail, and used Sharkbite fittings in for the 1st time in that repair, as I was in a semi-remote location (West Yellowstone, Montana). I also added a Sharkbite cutoff valve to the toilet fresh water supply line for toilet repair jobs, and cleaning. I read background data on the Sharkbite fitting system that they are considered so reliable that national plumbing codes allow them to be used INSIDE of residential construction walls.

smoothie

Thank you for all the responses. I see numerous issues with leaking fittings and always being on the lookout for potential leaks. I have not seen any problems once the sharkbite is added as far as leaks. That being said I am thinking during this down time why not replace with sharkbite and avoid the future worry? I attest to the if it ain't broke dont fix it mentality but if I can almost ensure not having leaks at water connections why not take that route? Does sharkbite have a downside other than expense? Do they fail?

Gaffer

You would be better off checking all the crimp fittings that you can get to and re crimp any that were not done right at install.

mlpeloquin

I have had only one PEX fitting leak and fixed it with a Sharkbite on the road. I would not touch any unless they develop a leak. Investment in a good PEX crimp tool and some PEX crimps, and a section of red and blue PEX would be as far as I would go. I have done this and it is less than $100.00. Piece of mind for when we go in the middle if know where.

With the crimp too, the longer handles the better unless you are a gorilla.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-3-8-in-1-in-PEX-Clamp-Tool-UC961/202688118

Crimp rings
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-...Barb-Pinch-Clamp-10-Pack-PXPC1210PK/301541069

PEX pipe
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-...Barb-Pinch-Clamp-10-Pack-PXPC1210PK/301541069
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...pipe}:pt+dln:{565625}+qu:{cutter+pex+pipe}:qu

PEX pipe cutter I have this one and it works well for low use.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1-2-in-to-1-in-PEX-Pipe-Cutter/1000182901
or
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...pipe}:pt+dln:{565625}+qu:{cutter+pex+pipe}:qu

RoadJunkie

When I was buying and installing my one Sharkbite fitting, the helpful hardware man told me that he had "some" complaints about Sharkbite fittings on RVs claiming that the water pressure was sometimes not high enough to force the inner workings of the fitting to do it's thing, subsequently developing leaks. I had not heard of this problem and even took the time to email Sharkbite to determine if low water pressure would/could indeed cause this situation. I never heard back from them...:(

If you have several PEX crimp-caused leaks, then I would suggest the tool used during fabrication was out of calibration. My crimping tool came with calibration rods that ensure crimping to specification.

wdk450

On the question of "how reliable the Sharkbite fittings are, do they leak?", I can tell you that the tubing on the toilet shutoff valve has been subject to stressful movement when I disassemble the toilet for seal/ball replacements. The PEX rotates some within the Sharkbite O rings, The PEX doesn't pull out of the valve with pulling stress on it, I don't tun off the water pressure, and it hasn't leaked.

jbeletti

I've never had a Brass Sharkbite brand 1/2" fitting for PEX plumbing leak.

I HAVE had the all-plastic versions leak due to side-stress when I've used the fittings in a situation where I have a lot of side-force/stress on the PEX in/our of the connection.

smoothie

Based on what appears to be simple application ie almost just a plug and play installation why not repair all leaks with sharkbite. Why go through the hassle of crimp tools etc. Is this based solely on personal preference?

jbeletti

Based on what appears to be simple application ie almost just a plug and play installation why not repair all leaks with sharkbite. Why go through the hassle of crimp tools etc. Is this based solely on personal preference?

The barrier is cost. SO much cheaper for the user to do as the factory did and use pinch clamps. That said, yes, a $40 tool is needed. If you have a single connector, maybe 2 to make and for sure, no more ever - then Sharkbite may make more economic sense.

That said, I have a supply of Sharkbite fittings and barbed brass fittings + pinch clamps and the tool. With all the plumbing mods I make, there is a time for both.

eddylives

In our last trailer I had to rebuild the hot water tank bypass when one of the plastic valves failed de-winterizing.
I used some shark bite tee fittings, shut off valves and inline fittings. They were easy to work with and leak free up until we traded it in.
The fittings were cheaper than a pex tool kit up here in Canada lol.