Shock Absorbers - necessary?

ChuckBrown

We recently purchased a 2010 Landmark 38' fifth wheel trailer. While conducting a thorough inspection it was discovered that the shock absorber bushings on all shocks were dry rotted and that the lower bushings were deformed to the point that one could be pulled out of the shock mount by hand. All shocks are rubbing against the brake drums. This trailer is in excellent condition and exhibits no signs of wear anywhere. The G rated tires are worn no more than 25%. Without actual towed miles information, it must be concluded this trailer has seen very little use.

So, do these bushings wear out quickly in the normal course of things? Should they be checked every 5,000 miles or something?

Also, given the very shallow angle at which the shocks are mounted and the fact that they seem quite small for a 16,00 lb trailer, are they actually doing anything?

And, the clearance between the shock body and the brake drum seems to be such that even the smallest flex in the mount will cause rubbing against the brake drum.

I use an RV maintenance center and have had excellent service and advice for 8 years and I trust them. Several of their best mechanics, who are also RV owners, recommend I just remove the shocks and avoid future problems.

Any thoughts?

danemayer

Hi ChuckBrown,

Congratulations on your Landmark purchase and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of people who are willing to help others.

There have been periodic discussions about shocks. Some people have left them alone. Others have remounted, changing the angle. A few have removed them. Here's a link to one of the threads.

boatdoc

After many miles of travel, the wife and I can see or feel NO difference with out them. Our's went to the scrap pile a couple years ago. With the angle they are mounted and the very low cost of the OEM shock (think cheap) I think they are on the rigs as a marketing ploy by Lippert.

GOTTOYS

Mine are still in place. I can't see how there can be any benefit based on their size and how they are mounted. When I get around to taking them off I doubt that I will replace them...Look like just another piece of cheap junk to me. I think the only benefit is you can say you have shocks on your trailer..even though they don't work..Don

Gary521

A lot of us have modified the shock mounts so that the shocks are more vertical. The upper mounts can be welded or bolted on. In its present orientation, the shocks bend easily. Its not a difficult job just takes a bit of time.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Chuck,You mentioned G rated tires. What brand? If Goodyear G614, that's a good thing. As others have said, the shocks, in their OEM position are pretty much extra weight. Others have modified the mounting angle to make them more effective. I believe good shocks and balanced tires can extend tire life and save wear and tear on suspension components.
Inspect your springs and hardware and check torque values on the U bolts. Just a preventative measure.
Congrats on your purchase and Welcome to the Heartland Family & Forum.

ChuckBrown

Thanks to all of you - I appreciate your experiences and suggestions...for now I think I'll go "shockless" and see what happens. The alternative mounting schemes mentioned in this thread and others give me plenty to think about. And yes, Ray, the tires are the Goodyear Gs you mentioned.

Now I need to prepare for "wintering" in Maryland : )

TeJay

Chuck,
Many have discussed this idea before. If you do a search for shocks you'll read a lot. I've got a lot of experience with these things and here's my take. First of all most trailers don't come with shocks. I still don't know why except that most boat trailers don't either. HL used the incorrect type of shock and they are also mounted at to shallow of an angle to do much good. How do I know this??? Common sense. Most of these shocks are bent or broken after short usage. The rubber grommets are worn out. The shock with the long 5/16" threaded rod used for attachment can't pivot much as the suspension moves. That's why they bend and wear out so soon. They should use a shock with a through bolt to allow for the shallow angle and movement of the suspension.

Here's also what I know about all types of suspensions: coil, leaf, and torsion. When they hit a bump, any bump no matter how small or large they deflect up and down. That deflection or movement effects the ride, the tire, all suspension parts, bushings etc. Unless the oscillations (suspension movement) are dampened by a shock absorber the oscillations continue until the energy is dissipated. While these oscillations are continuing (not being absorbed by a shock absorber) they are stressing (wearing out) everything that they are attached to. As we travel down the road we will feel some of the suspension movement but most of these oscillations we the driver will hardly ever feel but they are wearing on all suspension components.

Some will say, "Well we don't ride in our trailer so why does it need to have shocks to improve the ride?" "I can't tell the difference with or with out." We need shocks for the other reasons that I have mentioned. Worn shocks will also accelerate tire wear. When a tire hits a bump there is a lot that is happening but here is some of it. The tire compresses (side wall flex) it then moves up and the tire looses some contact with the road. This effects traction somewhat. The trailer also moves up then rebounds and more pressure is placed on the tire and the process repeats itself until the oscillations cease. This excessive up and down movement will cause a cupping wear pattern on the tire over time because the pressure in increased then decreased over and over and over. Shocks reduce or dampen the movement and they absorb the energy in the form of heat. There's a lot more but I think you get the idea. They are necessary and they do help the tires, suspension and the travel trailers movement which also effects how the TV reacts with the travel trailer.

TeJay

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Shock discussion is like debating politics. When two people stand on either side of the fence you aren't going to get to far in the matter.

My take on it. No, you dont need them at all. I believe HL only puts them on there as LM is their high end trailer and its just another feature that they can say they have and the other guy doesn't. If it did matter they would have been installed correctly and every trailer would have them.

If by the slightest chance if they could actually do any good the only positive effect it would have is on the structure and contents in the trailer to help absorb the shock without transferring it into the trailer.

Leaf Spring suspension is not like a Coil over suspension. Coil Over or Torsion (Torsion should be in my opinion) must be paired with a quality shock as any bounce will resonant for a substantial amount of time, like a echo. Slowly reducing with each round of travel.

Shocks do help keep the wheel on the ground, that is a fact. But this is a trailer and not a Driven unit. It is not necessary as there no ill effect of a towed unit. There is no steering wheels or drive wheels to keep planted for control and stability. People mention tire wear but this is very minimal, but highest during braking on a washboard road. You can get serve wheel hope in that case. Shocks can not even over come that.

You dont have this problem on these heavy trailers. Just not a issue to worry about.

ChopperBill

Our "06" Bighorn didn't have 'em but the "11" has the horizontal mounted shocks that all the mounting ends of the piston rods are bent. I cant see much difference between the two years and have just kept an eye out for any broken ones. I am so tired of throwing money at RV's and all the "just gotta have" items that I decided to use the "wait and see" deal. So far I am money ahead.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I agree with TeJay on post # 8.

I installed my own shocks the correct way.

By mistake left my ChannelLock pliers laying on top of my rear Sundance bumper and hit the hwy. I found the pliers still there at the next gas station stop 200mi down the road. I'd say my shocks are working.

lwmcguir

All of our 5th Wheel Campers came with Factory shocks. All have been upper end Coaches. The last being a Yellowstone. The shocks on the Yellowstone lasted 7 useful years and I think they helped. Now we have CP equalizers and that seems to take the place of shocks very well. Our tires are wearing well and the coach rides well enough you can leave things on the counter that are still there when you arrive.

MTPockets

So, what do we know... Shocks are absolutely and possibly necessary for an extended life of the tires & suspension components, from an unknown term to an absolute indeterminate life span.

jdfishing

Sure would like to hear something from Heartland or Lippert on this issue of shocks and their method of installation. Surely they have some good reasons for all of this that might put this issue to rest. Well, then again, maybe not, but I would still like to hear what they have to say.

TeJay

It's been mentioned several times that if they (shocks) were necessary then every camper would have them. Well .............then why do we hear all this talk about the inferior tires???? Why do TT's still come from the factory with minimal tire loading capability???????? We just got a trailer that has a max of 7,000 # and the axles are rated for 6,000 #. Now that makes a lot of sense. The industry does what it does because they can. Maybe very few complain. Maybe it's the bottom line $$$$$. Try taking any industry to court over a safety issue. We don't have enough resources to take on big companies.

Maybe not having shocks is not to great of a problem given the relative short amount of time that TT's are actually on the road compared to cars/trucks. Leaf, torsion, and coil all do the exact same job. They are all made out of spring steel which bends then resumes its original shape. They support the unit, and oscillate when bumps are hit, even the smallest bump and even those that we can't feel. If those oscillations are not reduced/dampened they have to adversely effect anything attached to them. If they are not necessary then name me one vehicle built for the road that does not have some kind of system to dampen suspension oscillations.
You ask the question why the industry does not put shocks on all units. Let me remind you of this little bit of information. Why is the bar lowered on a girls bike???? It was lowered back in 1890 when women with long skirts rode bikes. Why do we still do it today 120 + years later?????? TRADITION or THAT'S THE WAY WE'VE ALWAYS DONE IT. I tend to use common sense and accept technology and the facts related to ideas long before I'll accept, well that,s what we've always done.
JMTCW
TeJay

lwmcguir

Any of you out there that has been around a while will remember many trucks that had shocks mounted at an angle.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Shocks aren't necessary for trailers. It's a gimmick that people buy into.

Look at Bloomers or Featherlitr trailers built for the people that rodeo and haul their horses. Those don't have shocks.

That's fine that you believe shocks serve a purpose on a trailer. I will choose to waste my money else where.

TeJay

I've never seen shocks mounted at an angle but I have checked some sights and shocks that are mounted at very flat angles are designed differently. That fact I didn't know. I contacted Dexter to see if shocks can be added to their Tor-Flex axles. They responded with a "yes" and it's done by some Air Streams. I'd sure like to see a picture of an Air Stream that has shocks. I've looked at my suspension and believe any shock may have to be mounted very flat so it can work properly.

I'm still very hard pressed to understand how any thing that I tow that has a suspension can't benefit from some type of suspension control like shocks. They dampen/reduce the suspension oscillations. Anytime the trailer suspension oscillates more than it has to will create some adverse movement on the TV. If shocks serve a purpose on our TV then they have to serve a purpose on the TT. Shocks and their role on a suspension is not a belief it's an opinion based on facts. Have you ever driven a car or truck with bad shocks??? In many instances since the shocks went bad over time we as the driver got used to the softer suspension. Immediately after changing the shocks we realized just how bad they were. I experienced that many, many time over my career as an automotive instructor.

Our first two RV's were motor homes (1978,1999) so I am new (8,000-10,000 miles) at pulling a TT. Since we started pulling a camper I realized the negative effects we were having with a TT that had no shocks. As the TT bounced around it pulled and jerked the rear of the TV. We had a good WDH set up, I watched my tongue weight and loading of the camper, installed air bags to adjust the TV and TT height as needed and Bilstein shocks all around as well. Our first trip of 2,000 miles the TT had no shocks. Following that trip I added the shocks and all subsequent trips were much better. The TT settled down and there was less pulling and jerking on the TV. Adding the shocks did have a positive effect on handling and that made towing much easier.

I don't think spending $150 and a few hours of my time designing shock mounts will break the bank and it can do nothing but improve the suspension and handling of my TT and TV. JMTCW

TeJay