Bighorn 3685RL Shock absorbers

gslabbert5119

My Bighorn 3685 RL (2013) is just a few years old and though it get a good deal of use in the summers the shocks are pretty much either used up or they are simply useless, like much of the garbage that the factory puts on.

Has anyone replaced their shocks and with which shock and what are the recommendations.

Thanks for any info

Gavin Slabbert

Last edited by a moderator:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Per recommendation on the forum, we tried Bilstein shocks on our Big Country. Unfortunately we did not have good results. We had also changed our our suspension to a MorRyde SRE4000 system at the same time.

Because there are too many variables, I don't know exactly why but 3 of 4 shocks failed within 1200 miles. We replaced with the same style that was on before, and moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gslabbert5119

Thank you for the reply,
Did you use the factory shocks or an aftermarket shock when you went back to the original system?

TravelTiger

Thank you for the reply,
Did you use the factory shocks or an aftermarket shock when you went back to the original system?

Due to the timing of the first failure of the Bilstien, we replaced with AP Product's trailer shock, from Amazon due to cost and availability. We were traveling and needed to get home.

AP Products 14122108 Shock Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HRHEFI?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

To clarify, we still have the SRE4000 and like it. But all shocks are now the AP Products shock listed above.

rhodies1

My Bighorn 3685 RL (2013) is just a few years old and though it get a good deal of use in the summers the shocks are pretty much either used up or they are simply useless, like much of the garbage that the factory puts on.

Has anyone replaced their shocks and with which shock and what are the recommendations.

Thanks for any info

Gavin Slabbert

I replaced mine with Munroe number 55025 which I purchased from Stengel Bros in Allentown PA.
The cost for each shock was 29 dollars each. so far no issues,

rxbristol

I'm a big fan of the Bilsteins they've outlasted the OEMs and the Monroes on our Landmark. IMO I believe Erika's Bilsteins failed because of a faulty install.

Gary521

Per recommendation on the forum, we tried Bilstein shocks on our Big Country. Unfortunately we did not have good results. We had also changed our our suspension to a MorRyde SRE4000 system at the same time.

Because there are too many variables, I don't know exactly why but 3 of 4 shocks failed within 1200 miles. We replaced with the same style that was on before, and moved on.

I am interested in putting the SRE 4000 on my trailer. In talking with MorRyde, they suggest to take the existing shocks off with the 4000. Did the SRE 4000 help in any way?

I am not absolutely positive but I THINK the AP Shocks are the same ones that you get from Lippert.

Monroe supplies two different shocks. The one model ending in 25 is a bit longer than the one ending in 01 (555025 vs 555001)

TravelTiger

MorRyde at the time did not have a problem installing the Bilsteins per my request. However, when the results were discussed with them after their failure and the "rougher" ride we experienced, they suggested the shocks were possibly "too stiff." After returning to the AP shocks, I cannot tell a significant difference in the ride (compared to OE Dexter suspension) with the SRE4000. But we have only been on one trip since the install with the AP shocks, and I don't believe we are completely level towing. About 1.5" high in the back.

My opinion is neutral, so throw it out in decision-making.

TravelTiger

I'm a big fan of the Bilsteins they've outlasted the OEMs and the Monroes on our Landmark. IMO I believe Erika's Bilsteins failed because of a faulty install.

Yes, as I said there's too many variables to say for sure.

gslabbert5119

Does someone have the OEM part # for the shocks so that I can find out more about which are the correct Monroes and Bilsteins. It seems that it is one or the other.

rxbristol what is the the part # of the Bilsteins that you fitted?

Many Thanks
Gavin

rxbristol

Last edited:

mlpeloquin

Installed the Joy Ryder shock system. http://tweetys.com/search.aspx?find=Joy+Rider They actually work like shocks should. My replacement shocks did not last long. One opened and released the oil. Two had the welds break loose and thus the mounting studs were separated from the shock body. All mounting studs of each shock were bent. The angle of the shocks are too extreme to be any good at dampening which is what a shock is for. So far nothing has been launched out of a cabinet or the freezer since I installed the Joy Ryder shock system.

Az_Ernie

Marc,

Are you saying that the "replacement shocks" failed after installing the Joy Rider System? I'm assuming shocks that failed were OEM shocks prior to installing Joy Rider shock System, correct?

Last edited:

rhodies1

Does someone have the OEM part # for the shocks so that I can find out more about which are the correct Monroes and Bilsteins. It seems that it is one or the other.

rxbristol what is the the part # of the Bilsteins that you fitted?

Many Thanks
Gavin

The Lippert OEM part number is 283271.
Munroe part numbers are 55001 and 55025.
Munroe part number 55001 is original replacement for the Lippert shock,
Munroe part number 55025 Is used if you have raised your Suspension and require a longer reach and also it is heavier duty.

gslabbert5119

The Lippert OEM part number is 283271.
Munroe part numbers are 55001 and 55025.
Munroe part number 55001 is original replacement for the Lippert shock,
Munroe part number 55025 Is used if you have raised your Suspension and require a longer reach and also it is heavier duty.

Great, thanks so much
Gavin

gslabbert5119

Ok so let me ask the question a different way.

If the shock angles are so bad that they are essentially useless, and I suspect that this is mostly true, why would my 5er tilt to the left on a flat piece of ground when i bring the 2 main slides out.
I see no broken springs and surely the left and right slides should balance each other out.

Is this normal for a 5er?

Az_Ernie

Ok so let me ask the question a different way.

If the shock angles are so bad that they are essentially useless, and I suspect that this is mostly true, why would my 5er tilt to the left on a flat piece of ground when i bring the 2 main slides out.
I see no broken springs and surely the left and right slides should balance each other out.

Is this normal for a 5er?

We have a 2015 3160EL and it leans to the left as well (slides in/slides out). We had our rig weighed and have about a 700# imbalance on the left hand side (LH side is heavier). I would suspect this imbalance is normal, with the kitchen appliances (residential refrigerator installed) all in the LH slide. There is no way we could redistribute 350 lbs. to balance RH and LH sides. Another possibility could be that we have weak LH suspension. If so, it came from the factory in this condition, because it has leaned from day one.

gslabbert5119

Ernie then how are you leveling the rig when parked, are you compensating and raising the left side to past level then opening the slides, for it is a royal pain in the butt to keep having to lower the rig back onto the truck to add another spacer under the left wheels

Az_Ernie

Ernie then how are you leveling the rig when parked, are you compensating and raising the left side to past level then opening the slides, for it is a royal pain in the butt to keep having to lower the rig back onto the truck to add another spacer under the left wheels

Level-Up system levels trailer perfectly. Was just trying to say, on level surface with slides in or out (before leveling) our BH leans to the left. Sorry for not being more clear. We're thinking about having the Liberty/Joy Rider system installed. Liberty/Joy Rider System replaces OEM leaf-springs and shocks and will hopefully correct ride, and leaning should we currently have a faulty or weak LH suspension.

mlpeloquin

Marc,

Are you saying that the "replacement shocks" failed after installing the Joy Rider System? I'm assuming shocks that failed were OEM shocks prior to installing Joy Rider shock System, correct?

No. The OEM and the Monroe replacement shocks failed. The Joy Ryder shocks are great. I reread my post and yes as it reads it is confusing.